Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Surviving Giligan's Island:CBS.Did you watch?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-15-01, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great show. Was touching at times. I was surprised to see that presented in HDTV. Hope it comes out on DVD.
Who else watched it?
Old 10-15-01, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually taped it since I couldn't bring myself to miss Alias and Practice.

My local station ran it 1/2 hour late, though, for some reason, so I did already watch the last 1/2 hour after the Practice.

It was played in an interesting format with the skits. I think I still prefer the E! True Hollywood Story format, but I loved getting a much deeper scoop this way.

Thought it was interesting that yet for another "reunion," Ginger opted out. What's up with her? I mean, I know she may not want to be typecast, but the "Hollywood Bombshell" isn't the worst typecast someone can get....
Old 10-15-01, 10:29 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by JuryDuty
Ginger opted out. What's up with her? I mean, I know she may not want to be typecast, but the "Hollywood Bombshell" isn't the worst typecast someone can get....

From the way the show portrayed her, once the show got big, she hated it. The ending montage was very good too.
Old 10-15-01, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wanted to watch it but it conflicted with my TiVo recording of Alias so I missed it.

Tina Louise (Ginger) refused to do many of the reunion shows.
Old 10-15-01, 10:42 AM

Did anybody else notice Rodger from Survivor: The Australian Outback in a small cameo?

He played the army general who delivered the telegrams the army recieved about rescuing the castaways because the people thought it was real.
Old 10-15-01, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dek
From the way the show portrayed her, once the show got big, she hated it. The ending montage was very good too.
I've watched it now and it seems even when the show was small, she wasn't too hot on it. Amazing how the TV execs missed out on the Mary Ann phenominon though.

I also thought it was interesting how many times Bob Denver went to bat for others. Seems like a good guy.
Old 10-15-01, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk God

I loved it. I fell stupid in saying that, too. I was not a huge fan of the series by any means, but all the actors (except Tina) seem so darn genuine, etc. that you just have to like them. I can't believe Mrs. Howell was so old. Didn't one of the reunion shows have the Harlem Globetrotters on it?

Actually gave me a lot of respect for Bob. He seemed to stand up for things he believed in pretty well. It also reminded me a bit of Star Trek in that the suits were too stupid to realize that they had a winning show on their hands, and ultimately canned it for stupid reasons.
Old 10-15-01, 12:43 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Taped it also ... can't wait to check it out.
Old 10-15-01, 01:23 PM

Did anyone else notice how friggin' hot Dawn Wells is? Especially for a 62 year old woman! Mama mia!
Old 10-15-01, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by overlord
Did anyone else notice how friggin' hot Dawn Wells is? Especially for a 62 year old woman! Mama mia!
Word! She looks about 45. I love her
Old 10-15-01, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
damn that was this week?
I was going to tape it but didn't realize it was last night
Old 10-15-01, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a crush on Bob Denver when I was really young. Now he's old and goofy looking. But he seems like a decent sort of guy.

I watched this thing on and off last night. It was amazing to me how old Natalie Shaffer was, and I had no idea Jim Baccus had Parkinsons. That almost explains his speech patterns on the show.

And Tina Louise is just a numbskull. Who cares if she was typecast by showing up on last night's show? It isn't as if she gets any real work anyway.
Old 10-15-01, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was watching some promo for this on ET or something similar and Tina Louise wasn't asked to participate in this one. Dawn Wells said that since she hadn't done any of the other reunions they didn't think she would be interested and didn't ask.
Old 10-15-01, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The actors who played the castaways were excellent, especially Mr. Howell. It was an interesting format, I hope to see other reunion shows doing the same thing.
Old 10-15-01, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
This has got to be one of the coolest "behind the scenes" documenteries I've seen in a long time.

It was funny, different and informative. I thought the format was a neat also.

Almost like a sitcom.

And oh yeah,

Mary-Anne/Dawn Wells STILL looks yummy.
Old 10-15-01, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

she's 62?!?!?!?!!?!??

Oh man!! She has got to be THE HOTTEST 62 year old on Earth!!!!

Man, I would have NO PROBLEM "hittin' that"

Especially since Tina louise now looks a OLD DRAG QUEEN
Old 10-15-01, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She now replaces Barbara Eden as the oldest woman I'd like to f*ck.

Spoiler:
A Kevin James line, but I'll take credit for it.
Old 10-15-01, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Charlie Goose

She now replaces Barbara Eden as the oldest woman I'd like to f*ck.

Spoiler:
A Kevin James line, but I'll take credit for it.

NAH...I'll take 'em both.

Do you realize:

I would have over a hundred years of "tookie" in the bed at once How many guys can boast that
Old 10-16-01, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't forget Martha Stewart. She's over 60 now.
Old 10-16-01, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by kvrdave
I loved it. I fell stupid in saying that, too. I was not a huge fan of the series by any means, but all the actors (except Tina) seem so darn genuine, etc. that you just have to like them. I can't believe Mrs. Howell was so old. Didn't one of the reunion shows have the Harlem Globetrotters on it?

Actually gave me a lot of respect for Bob. He seemed to stand up for things he believed in pretty well. It also reminded me a bit of Star Trek in that the suits were too stupid to realize that they had a winning show on their hands, and ultimately canned it for stupid reasons.
Yeah, the Harlem Globetrotters were in the 2nd movie, aptly titled 'Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island' and also known as 'Return to Gilligan's Island.' Supposedly the Howells had bought the island and they all turned it into a luxury resort. The Globetrotters were there as some sort of entertainment, I believe.

That was the TV movie they showed Jim Backus filming his final scene in.
Old 10-16-01, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked it, but then I have to admit having loved Gilligan's Island growing up. That show was awesome, especially when they had guest stars.

I was glad to see that it wasn't a 'tell all' type show. I know Bob Denver had spoken out against Tina Louise quite a bit in the past, and I expected them to trash her a bit. But I was glad they didn't. It was interesting without being dishonorable.

I thought most of the actors were cast pretty well, at least compared to similar movies like this one. The Partridge and Brady shows had some of the worst casting imaginable, I thought. But these people were close enough. The guy playing the Skipper was really good, I thought.
Old 10-16-01, 02:08 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by renaldow
I was glad to see that it wasn't a 'tell all' type show. I know Bob Denver had spoken out against Tina Louise quite a bit in the past, and I expected them to trash her a bit. But I was glad they didn't. It was interesting without being dishonorable.
Did we not watch the same show? I thought they were very tough on Ginger.
Old 10-16-01, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by G. Noel Gross

Did we not watch the same show? I thought they were very tough on Ginger.
From what I have read they were very fair to her, and could have really dragged her through the coals if they had wanted to go dirty.
Old 10-16-01, 03:51 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

I didn't say she was a saint. But seeing that Mary Ann was among the producers, the bias is clear. She and Gilligan might has well have had wings and halos. Still, it's a fun little docu-movie.
Old 10-16-01, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by renaldow

Yeah, the Harlem Globetrotters were in the 2nd movie, aptly titled 'Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island' and also known as 'Return to Gilligan's Island.' Supposedly the Howells had bought the island and they all turned it into a luxury resort. The Globetrotters were there as some sort of entertainment, I believe.

That was the TV movie they showed Jim Backus filming his final scene in.

this show was RACIST!

White folks buy and Island and the Modern day slaves(Black NBA Players working hard for THE MAN) get sent there to make more money for the WHITE power structure

j/k of course

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.