Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Csi 10/11

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-01, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Csi 10/11

I enjoyed this episode, but did it bother anyone else that in the first scene after the opening credits, they showed Grisham stating that the body fell and reached "terminal velocity of 9.8 m/s^2" and thus hit the ground in under 5 seconds?

I mean, I wouldn't have a clue what forensic science is made up, what's exaggerated, and what's real, but the difference between the units of acceleration and velocity isn't rocket science; I learned this in high school for chrissakes! Didn't ANYONE involved in the production notice the mistake?
Old 10-13-01, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Dunno about the terminal velocity thing, but I really liked the "overlays" of electrocution damage on the guy's body, when Grissom was looking for that as the cause of death....
Old 10-13-01, 12:48 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 152 Likes on 129 Posts
I do enjoy this show, just started watching it over the summer re-runs, however Grissom gets on my nerves.

He never makes a mistake, knows everything there is to know. And is an all around mr perfect.
I think if I had his knowledge I would not be doing that job, I would be in research or something.

Now the rest of the characters I really like.
Old 10-14-01, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But he did make a mistake: he mistook acceleration for velocity!

Moreover, I don't know that it's wrong, but he stated that a falling person reaches terminal velocity in under five seconds. I have to think is a bit quick.

I do agree though that they should do some eps where he is WRONG WRONG WRONG and either the bad guy gets away or they nab the wrong guy (and maybe correct it in a later episode) or the evidence is destroyed for some reason and the lab can't get the guy b/c of it.

I mean, it was so refreshing to see the disappearing girl case have all the red herrings of foul play and turn out to be an freak accident.
Old 10-14-01, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
They had an episode in teh first season where the bad guy got away. I don't remember the exact details of the episode, but the guy worked in a factory that made fake human models and body parts. In part of the episode, the guy took a fingerprint off of a cup that Grissom used, created a hand model with that fingerprint, then used the model to place Grissom's fingerprints on the next victim/crime scene. The guy got away in the end.
Old 10-14-01, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's right; I had forgotten about that episode...
Old 10-15-01, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...and I thought it would end up being a recurring thread for the rest of the season(s), as they try to catch up to that serial killer.

Kinda glad they dropped it.
Old 10-15-01, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Csi 10/11

Originally posted by dave955
I enjoyed this episode, but did it bother anyone else that in the first scene after the opening credits, they showed Grisham stating that the body fell and reached "terminal velocity of 9.8 m/s^2" and thus hit the ground in under 5 seconds?
I thought the qoute was something more like "he reached terminal velocity at 9.8 m/s^2", meaning that he accelerated to terminal velocity at 9.8 m/s^2, at which point he would have stopped accelerating, and hit the ground in 5 seconds.

But then again I might have misheard, since I doubt he would have reached terminal velocity from that height. Anyone have the exact quote?
Old 10-15-01, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I pretty sure Gil was stating that terminal velocity was 9.81 m/sec^2. When I heard it, I also laughed because anyone that took a high school or college physics class knows that the acceleration due to gravity is 9.81 m/sec^2.
Old 10-15-01, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I do enjoy this show, just started watching it over the summer re-runs, however Grissom gets on my nerves.

He never makes a mistake, knows everything there is to know. And is an all around mr perfect.
I think if I had his knowledge I would not be doing that job, I would be in research or something.

Now the rest of the characters I really like.
He does make mistakes. He made one in this very episode, suspecting the Foreman of murder, because his fingerprints were on the wire clippers. The sheriff even wanted Grissom to make a public apology.