Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Will & Grace on NBC

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-02, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by adamblast
I'm still holding my breath for the first DVD boxset (no premium channels)... Hope you're right; it sure sounds great...

(I'm not in a position to judge, not having seen it yet, but I was under the impression that the gay brother was just one of the side-stories; I guess I'm so tired of the "gay best friend" thing that I'm dying for central characters...)

You are partly right. The series is not about gays or the gay lifestyle. It's about a family and one of the two main characters, the brothers, is gay. In the first season, the character deals with trying to fully come out and to accept that being gay is not wrong despite his strong religious beliefs. It's not relegated to "Side-story" status. As there are many characters in the show, his storyline is one of the main ones. He is definitely a real main character and not a best friend or neighbor.
Old 11-01-02, 06:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree about it not being very good this season and I also have to agree with the other poster that has said that Karen and Jack have become caricatures.

I really think they have copped out on the gay theme and the relationship part of it and made the theme into one liners.
What ever happend to Will getting a Regular Boyfriend? This was suppose to happen from the get go and every season they totally avoid it.

This, Friends and Frasier have got to go away but this is NBC after all that will keep milking them way past their prime.

Ive been watching CSI and apparently most of the country has from the Ratings numbers.
Old 11-01-02, 11:10 PM

I wish Grace would stop starving herself trying to look like Ally McBeal. It's a damn shame because she could be really gorgeous if she wanted to.
Old 11-02-02, 12:38 PM

I am always continually surprised that there's people that find Debra Messing attractive. I liked watching Ned and Stacey IN SPITE of her. Ned, his accountant best friend, and the accountant's wife simply outshone her in terms of comic timing.

I've watched Will & Grace sporadically -- saw an ep with Woody Harrelson on it which was kinda funny -- but really can't understand its appeal. To me, W&G belong in the same category as the 9.30 shows that NBC has put on Thursday night in recent years.
Old 11-02-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by Barings
I am always continually surprised that there's people that find Debra Messing attractive. I liked watching Ned and Stacey IN SPITE of her. Ned, his accountant best friend, and the accountant's wife simply outshone her in terms of comic timing.

I've watched Will & Grace sporadically -- saw an ep with Woody Harrelson on it which was kinda funny -- but really can't understand its appeal. To me, W&G belong in the same category as the 9.30 shows that NBC has put on Thursday night in recent years.
I have to disagree here. While I don't find Messing attractive (she *is* way too thin), I think she's a pretty good comedic actress. The times she has been bad, it's because the material she was given has sucked. Like this past week. Woof! Eric McCormack on the other hand can be quite a ham IMO and is painful to watch. For the most part.
Old 11-02-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by alarican
Mike...your standards are low man.....she isn't much to look at.

Unless you are into that " I am skeletor look."
That's exactly what I was thinking. I've always thought she was rather ugly.
Old 11-02-02, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Woody and Harry were/are not needed. The show is best when concentrating on the 4 principal characters. Laughs have been fewer lately. I personally loved the leaky boob episode.
Old 11-02-02, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by cooper2000
I really think they have copped out on the gay theme and the relationship part of it and made the theme into one liners.
What ever happend to Will getting a Regular Boyfriend? This was suppose to happen from the get go and every season they totally avoid it.
I agree, and this is the prime reason I'm no longer interested in the show.

I bought the creators' line during the first season that they had to gradually introduce a gay relationship for Will to the majority of the viewers, but that they would eventually get there. Since then, they seem to have totally backed off of the idea and, as a result, the gay element in the show amounts to nothing more than caricatures, bitchy one liners, and not-so-subtle innuendoes.

It's impossible to believe that a handsome, successful gay man in Manhattan never even goes on a date!!!

The whole baby storyline this season shows just how pitiful and cowardly the show has become.
Old 11-15-02, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question to Will & Grace watchers.

Do any of you devoted Will & Grace watchers know how they can possibly have the Grace & [Harry Connick Jr.] wedding next Thursday already (11/21)!? They just told each other they loved each other and she just met his parents in last night's episode (11/14).

All spoilers welcome.
Old 11-15-02, 11:52 AM

I am an avid watcher and all I can come up with is:

he's jewish
he's a doctor
he's a semi famous singer/actor
It's November
Old 11-15-02, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Right raKim - it is SWEEPS time. And dollars to donuts Will and Grace will have a big cliff-hanger blow out that won't get resolved until the next new episode on 12/5 (unless they're doing new programming on Thanksgiving which would not be unusual for NBC Thursday).

In any case - Grace will NOT get married. Though she SHOULD. The show needs SOMETHING to happen to escape the horrible rut it is currently stuck in!
Old 11-15-02, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
They also need an excuse to have them break up so they Harry Connick Jr. can leave the show. They can't keep a guest star forever.
Old 11-15-02, 06:58 PM
Banned

It's that time of year...Sweeps. Hard to tell with Will and Grace though because it seems like there is a celebrity guest appearance stunt almost every week.

When is Will going to get Married?????
Old 11-15-02, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cooper2000
When is Will going to get Married?????
That's funny. Like that would ever happen. I bet he ends up alone, relationship-wise in the series finale. Every single one of Will's relationships have been incredibly short-lived, wheras at least Grace's relationships lasts a handful of episodes.
Old 11-16-02, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, this has been bugging me as well! i missed last weeks show and thought i had missed this plot line but obviously i didnt since this week didnt even discuss it either. whats going on? the only thing i thought was maybe it's a dream or they win some contest to shot wedding photos (silly, i know but seems like something they'd do)
Old 11-16-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Knowing how infamous NBC is for misleading commercials, I am betting for dream sequence. The wedding isnt real.
Old 11-21-02, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will and Grace - 11/21

Wow. What a great series finale!

Ok, I know, it's not a series finale, but it sure felt like it. If they had just wrapped up the storylines between Jack and Karen, I feel that it would work as a series finale. I don't want it go on after that, there's no cliffhanger, nothing. There's no reason to go on.

It will, though, since the ratings must be ok and the contract is probably up for a couple more seasons. That does made viewers wonder:

Spoiler:
How will Harry Connick Jr. leave the show? There's no way he's staying. Will Grace get divorced, or will they just actually go on, with him as a regular cast member?
Old 11-21-02, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't watch the entire thing, but flipped back and forth so I didn't have to sit through all 90 minutes of it. Plus I was pissed that it pre-empted Scrubs. It actually was pretty good though. Thankfully the last half hour turned out to be a blooper reel.

Definitely puts a wrench in the show. What will they call it now, Will, Grace and Leo? I guess if they can keep Woody Harrelson on the show for a season, Harry could be on the rest of the season. I'm sure they're paying him very well, but no way is he gonna be in for the duration. I bet he's gone in February sweeps on a very special Will, Grace and Leo.
Old 11-22-02, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Psst....regarding Connick Jr's continuing presence on the show

Spoiler:
IIRC, Connick was signed to do around 12 episodes this season, so that have a few episodes to write him out of the show.

I can't believe they actually married off Grace last night.

The blooper reel was funny, I've been to one taping of a comedy, and the blooper giggles are really really funny to see in person, and seeing the actors trying to get serious to do their lines, and then just busting out because they are in the giggle zone is hysterical and infectious.
Old 11-22-02, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i usually don't watch but i am intrigued to know that they actually married her off. i was expecting that they would come up with something to wreck the wedding.
Old 11-22-02, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, after there was a false wedding at the beginning of the extra long episode (meaning the wedding wasn't legit due to the minister not being legit), and then once they found out, Grace got scared after realizing how little she and Leo knew of each other, and ran from Leo for a little while, but came to realize that she did want to marry Leo (whose name is really Marvin), and then that allowed Will to plan a quick wedding for the both of them. But in the end, they did get married in a church in an old fashion manner.
Old 11-22-02, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The wedding was very sweet. I actually didn't think that they would actually have a wedding either, that they were going to end the show after she found out his name was Marvin. But it should be interesting to see how they handle Harry Connick Jr for the rest of the season.

And the blooper reel was hilarious. The moving donut when Grace is in bed
Old 11-22-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah - wasn't it nice how that hour episode nicely divided into two half hour sections.

Spoiler:
I'm betting they kill Leo off in February.

Where was Tom Skerritt?!?!
Old 11-22-02, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by tofu

And the blooper reel was hilarious. The moving donut when Grace is in bed
I liked the part right after that when she said, "I'm sad" and Eric McCormack said, "That's some method you have"
Old 11-22-02, 02:30 PM
Banned

I dont think too many people thought they would get married.
For this not to be permanant will be a gip I think.

Maybe Harry will turn into the character he played in the movie Copycat and start killing people.

Loved the bloopers and outtakes.
Hope they put this on the DVD!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.