DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by bfrank
I missed it. I need a spoiler to explain the
Spoiler:
transporter accident

Please!
Spoiler:
One of the crew members had to be emergency transported off the planet. They had trouble seperating his signal from all the debris that was blowing around him, and when he arrived he had all sorts of junk sticking out of him.

It was probably my favorite part of the episode, as I thought it showed the technology in a realistic way.

My other favorite part had to be the vulcan neck pinch near the end. It was quick, and well placed.

Ratguy
Old 10-11-01, 11:01 AM
Premium Member

Thanks,

I will catch it this weekend
Old 10-11-01, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ratguy
My other favorite part had to be the vulcan neck pinch near the end. It was quick, and well placed.

Ratguy
I, on the other hand (no pun intended) thought it was less assertive than what I'm used to seeing from Spock -- almost like she's checking for a pulse...

As long as I'm picking nits: push a button to turn on the comm, but not to turn it off?
Old 10-11-01, 11:24 AM
Jad

Wasn't there a "Rock Person" on a TOS episode? I suppose I "fell" for that because I vaguely remember seeing something like that before... Of course, I could be mistaken.

As for T'Pol as a Vulcan, I can buy it, given the time period... I find it interesting that Vulcans were logical and pragmatic to the point of thinking that curiosity was a negative attribute... Clearly, in this respect, future incarnations of Vulcans are evolved, perhaps subtly. The only problem I have is with Blalock's delivery. I think her voice is a little too... human. Just a little too soft; it really could be just a tad bit colder, more harsh.

Also, unless I missed something in earlier episodes, last night was the first time they mentioned how many people were on the ship's crew (roughly 80?). Now it's natural to emphasize the senior staff, but I'd really like to see more of the ship, and to get a sense of the rest of its crew. In that respect, I liked last night's episode, and hope to see more of the same, somewhere down the road.

Last edited by Jad; 10-11-01 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-11-01, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jad
Wasn't there a "Rock Person" on a TOS episode? I suppose I "fell" for that because I vaguely remember seeing something like that before... Of course, I could be mistaken.
I guess you mean 'Devil in the Dark' with the Horta, who were silicon-based entities eating away at the rock where some miners were working.

"Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor not a bricklayer."

das
Old 10-11-01, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally posted by Jad

Also, unless I missed something in earlier episodes, last night was the first time they mentioned how many people were on the ship's crew (roughly 80?). Now it's natural to emphasize the senior staff, but I'd really like to see more of the ship, and to get a sense of the rest of its crew. In that respect, I liked last night's episode, and hope to see more of the same, somewhere down the road.

Yeah, I miss the alarmingly high mortality rate of those wearing red shirts in TOS. They need to bring that back. Although, if the crew complement is only 80, I guess they could only have 3 seasons.
Old 10-11-01, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No wonder Vulcan's think Humans are stupid...

Good episode, I haven't liked any ST show until this one, the other were always too annoying and contrived while the crews always seemed to have a stick up their, um... you know.

So the humans come across an M class planet, are like, 'party!' and the vulcan tries to explain, 'scan it for awhile first, bad unknown things can happen.' The humans ignore her and go down. Bad unknown things do happen.

Hundreds of years later, humans see an M class planet and still go, 'party!' and beam on down.

It seems like after what happened on last night's show they'd be, "Hey, the Vulcan's got a point. Maybe we should thoroughly scan and investigate before we go down there." This policy would've saved the lives of countless red shirts.

But then, you'd also have to believe that after the 3rd or 4th time the holodeck took over the Enterprise on ST:NG they'd just disassemble the while thing
Old 10-11-01, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: No wonder Vulcan's think Humans are stupid...

Originally posted by renaldow
Good episode, I haven't liked any ST show until this one, the other were always too annoying and contrived while the crews always seemed to have a stick up their, um... you know.

So the humans come across an M class planet, are like, 'party!' and the vulcan tries to explain, 'scan it for awhile first, bad unknown things can happen.' The humans ignore her and go down. Bad unknown things do happen.

Hundreds of years later, humans see an M class planet and still go, 'party!' and beam on down.

It seems like after what happened on last night's show they'd be, "Hey, the Vulcan's got a point. Maybe we should thoroughly scan and investigate before we go down there." This policy would've saved the lives of countless red shirts.

But then, you'd also have to believe that after the 3rd or 4th time the holodeck took over the Enterprise on ST:NG they'd just disassemble the while thing
Our greatest strength is also our greatest weakness. Humans will always be impulsive compared to the Vulcans, regardless of what century they're in or how many bad experiences they've had. Sometimes that behavior will save the day; other times it will cause problems.

Using your rationale, we could have avoided all these problems by simply staying on Earth. You're not going to get anywhere if you don't take some chances.

das
Old 10-11-01, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been pleasantly surprised by this show so far. Last night's episode was very good -- not fantastic, but a really enjoyable story with some great moments. Dare I say that I actually have some hope for this show?

And, since no Enterprise thread is complete without bringing up that damned theme song, here is the latest:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-m...10/11/11.30.tv
Old 10-11-01, 01:25 PM

mmmm Ni'Pol(s).
Old 10-11-01, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by bboisvert
And, since no Enterprise thread is complete without bringing up that damned theme song, here is the latest:
Originally posted by Braga
...if they don't like the new theme song, tell 'em to go watch vhs.
Old 10-11-01, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Also on SciFi Wire, in Jolene Blalock (T'Pol) news... From the Bad-Taste-In-Guys Files...
Old 10-11-01, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by adamblast
Also on SciFi Wire, in Jolene Blalock (T'Pol) news... From the Bad-Taste-In-Guys Files...
Anyone else think they look like brother & sister?

Ratguy
Old 10-11-01, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Anyone else think they look like brother & sister?
Naw, him's purty, but them lips t'aint nearly pouty enuff...
Old 10-11-01, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Weighing in on the TíPol issue

Originally posted by Oopium
mmmm Ni'Pol(s).

Just as with the music thing, itís something I will learn to live with. Donít like it, but donít have a choice, other than to not watch, which is not an option for me. My problem is, I just donít think that a Vulcan should be provoking a stirring in my pants.

Hereís how the reading for the part went:

Exec 1: I like those pouty lips.
Exec 2: Mmmm, and nice ta-tas, too.
Exec 1: Yah. Both of Ďem.
Exec 2: So, you think she can play a Vulcan?
Exec 1: She can play my Vulcan any time!
Exec 2: Sign her.

TíPol: [about exploring the rest of the cave] You want to come with me?
Archer:[listening in on the communicator] Ho, boy!
Old 10-11-01, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: No wonder Vulcan's think Humans are stupid...

Originally posted by das Monkey
Using your rationale, we could have avoided all these problems by simply staying on Earth. You're not going to get anywhere if you don't take some chances.

das
No, my rationale leads to a more boring TV series.
Old 10-11-01, 05:08 PM

What ever happened to Kes anyhow? I stopped watching the show and never found out. I thought she was much cuter than Seven...

Ratguy
Gotta disagree with that one. I think Seven was (is) very good looking. Kes, to me, was average at best.
Old 10-11-01, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Number_One

Gotta disagree with that one. I think Seven was (is) very good looking. Kes, to me, was average at best.
Admittedly, Seven has a nicer body, but I thought Kes was much cuter. I never found Seven's face to be that attractive.

Number_One? Funny, you look like Number_Two to me. :P

(No offense intended... go rent Murder By Death if you don't know the movie quote)

Ratguy
Old 10-11-01, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's funny, my first thought was, "Who does number two work for?" from one of the Austin Powers movies.
Old 10-11-01, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
towards the end, when Kes had long hair I thought she was pretty good looking. early short hair kes isn't nearly as good

Originally posted by Number_One

Old 10-11-01, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mikehunt
towards the end, when Kes had long hair I thought she was pretty good looking. early short hair kes isn't nearly as good

Gotta disagree again. I love it when a woman cuts her hair short. True, some women don't look good with short hair, but I usually prefer it.

Ratguy
Old 10-11-01, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I agree short hair can look good, but I think Kes looked better with the longer hair

Gotta disagree again. I love it when a woman cuts her hair short. True, some women don't look good with short hair, but I usually prefer it.

Ratguy
Old 10-12-01, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think this episode was pointless at all. It illustrated some of the deepest seated fears by humans of vulcans. It takes its time to demonstrate the early days of teleportation which wasn't always as clean cut as it was in TOS/TNG/etc. It's still scary technology. Plus, it'll become a precedent for handling the exploration of other earth-like planets. Remember, this series is all about the sense of discovery in space exploration, along with the forming of the respect that must be given to alien worlds and cultures. Everything that the Enterprise does will have lasting ramifications on the next set of exploration starships.

I think I like Kes with long hair (too obvious it was wig when she had short hair, like T'pol).
Old 10-12-01, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I checked out a few Kes websites, and I'm still siding with the short hair.

How did they kill off her character? I only watched for about the first season or so.

Ratguy

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.