TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Roswell

Old 10-08-01, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Roswell

Anyone waiting for Roswell premiere tomorrow?

I know I'm waiting for it, but I'm afraid it will continue to go down in quality...
Actually I got hooked to it mostly because of the great music they manage to put in each episode, followed by the surprisingly good acting, imo, by most of the cast.
The balance SF-relationships that they manage to delicately hold in the beginning was also interesting, but that has done quite downhill, and from the previews and some of the spoilers that I saw, it looks like they might still go for the cheap thrills rather than the more delicate approach. Hope I'm wrong however...
Old 10-09-01, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been waiting. I'm not sure it will make it another season, just because they can't keep the basic premise fresh. We'll see though.
Old 10-09-01, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm still debating whether I'll tune in. Because of DirecTV, I'm limited to one WB or UPN at a time, and I don't want to get involved with Roswell with Smallville on the horizon. Smallville could be a huge bust, but like elektra said, Roswell may be on its last leg. Decisions decisions. I've already had to give up Gilmore Girls Hope you enjoy it, though.

das
Old 10-09-01, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love this show, and thank you UPN for saving it. I've watched every episode from season 1. I guess the cast members are not to fond of each other. I guess Liz and Max hate each other in real life, and thats why the writers are not getting them back together.
Old 10-09-01, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd be mighty surprised if the quality picks up, or if it lasts past this season... Whenever the Roswell writing staff wants to "perk up" the show, they seem to take it even further in the wrong direction... It's a terrifically appealing cast, and I'm still watching largely for their sake, but I'm none too hopeful about the story arc...

I'm gonna give Smallville a try, and I may even pick up Gilmore Girls this year... But I'm not home on Tuesdays, and can only record 2 streams at once...

Roswell may fall away, in spite of the fact that I haven't missed any eps yet... They almost lost me last year when they started the Maria-at-the-chalkboard recaps, and showed the eps out of order...

I thought the show worked brilliantly when the aliens knew almost nothing about themselves-- like Buffy, they had a great "where do I fit in" and "who am I" metaphor going... Unfortunately, the more they found out, the more the show turned into a haphazard and poorly planned teen version of X-files meets Dawsons...
Old 10-09-01, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well... I don't know what to say about tonight's episode. It was obviously just meant as a quick patch to introduce the new "setup" that they have in mind for this season: Max leaves home, Isabel has an affair and even more, Liz is not allowed to see Max anymore, etc.

I would've preferred they would start where the last one ended because it was a good opportunity to examine how everyone feels and how they deal with the new situation, bringing the show more to what it was in the beginning.

The stealing of the diamond and the store robbery were really cheap trills which didn't serve any purpose and were quite out of character. I mean there are ten much easier ways of checking the government facility than staging an armed robbery....

Oh well, I still enjoyed the music!

Last edited by Gandalf; 10-10-01 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-09-01, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Gandalf
The stealing of the diamond and the store robbery were really cheap trills which didn't serve any purpose and were quite out of character. I mean there are ten much easier ways of checking the government facility than staging an armed robbery....
I agree. I just kept thinking,
Spoiler:
OK, so they go in with a gun instead of waiting until the podunk store closes at night? Max would never do that. He is always Mr. Low Profile. Then when he goes back to the store to look for his ship, there's no one around. No cameras, nothing. I mean, this is a government facility and they're looking to catch Max now that he's free, so it just didn't make sense.

I was also bothered by
Spoiler:
the camera tricks they did. They cheapened the show to me. Roswell has always worked because it's been a good teen show that happens to have an alien twist. But now they're trying some artsy things that just don't seem to fit imo. I would have rather liked the "artsy" camera look in the past sequenses, not the present. And do we have to watch ANOTHER heavy kissing scene???

But you're right, Gandalf, this was a good set-up for the season. Still... I'll stick with it for a little longer, but I'm losing faith.

As a side note, I loved the scene where Max and Liz
Spoiler:
stole the diamond.
Pretty funny stuff.
Old 10-09-01, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was a really good episode. I too didn't understand why they felt the need to hold up the store, but they had no way of knowing that other mystery guy was going to call the cops. If he hadn't they'd have gotten away without a problem. But thats just minor nitpicking, still a great episode and a great series. I don't think the show has ever really dropped off in quality.
Old 10-09-01, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not too bad. I enjoyed it and agree with everyones' assessment on the hold up. Could of done other things, but maybe they did it to show Max's weakness for his son. Where are they going to take this show now? Looks like there is a new nemesis, and another FBI agent on their heels.
Old 10-09-01, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Chili Palmer

Where are they going to take this show now? Looks like there is a new nemesis, and another FBI agent on their heels.

Not really...

You can read some spoilers at:

http://www.angelfire.com/ca6/roswell/spoilerz/epi.html

or

http://www.saveroswellaustralia.f2s.com/spoilers.html

Those are mostly summaries of the first three episodes together with some interview with producer Jason Katims which reveals a bit about the new direction they wanted to take with the show.

More detailed spoilers, including excerpts from the actual scripts, can be found, in French only, at: http://ufocenter.fr.st/

From the same place you can download a low-quality version of the first episode in case you missed it.

Last edited by Gandalf; 10-09-01 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-10-01, 12:46 AM

I also wished they started where they left off....its going to be hard to attract new viewers to the show the way the the season premiere was drawn up. Overall good show...hopefully they can get back to usual pace next week.
Old 10-10-01, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I was pleased with the episode. It was not the horror that the previews made it look to be. That was very odd marketing to say the least.
Of course the armed robbery bit made no sense whatsoever (Max couldn't enter the underground facility from above, outside of the store?)......how does the FBI enter it? surely not through the wall covering the door in the convenience store?.......
oh well....
I was a much bigger fan of season one than season two (I would love to have season 1 on dvd some day).....but with the move to UPN, the show still looks like it can at least remain interesting.....
I'm willing to give it another season trial period.......
Old 10-10-01, 01:44 PM

I saw my first episode last night and was confused as to what is going on. Can anyone sum it up in three or so sentences? I was suprised to see John Doe playing a character in the series, I love that guy.
Old 10-10-01, 03:45 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by junkie
I saw my first episode last night and was confused as to what is going on. Can anyone sum it up in three or so sentences?
Three or so sentences with this show!? Nope - that's impossible. LOL

Kal
Old 10-10-01, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by junkie
I saw my first episode last night and was confused as to what is going on. Can anyone sum it up in three or so sentences?
Last night was the first time I saw Roswell, too...I told my girlfriend/ex-girlfriend (not sure which applies) that it looked like a show I could be into (mostly cause of Shiri Appleby ), but that I had never taken the time to watch it....

Old 10-25-01, 04:37 PM

What does everyone think about the 3 episodes of the first season or is everyone watching Smallville now?
Old 10-25-01, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
an upcoming episode has one of them trying out for a part on Enterprise, and Johnathan Frakes and the guy who plays Dr Phlox are at the tryout
Old 10-25-01, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am still faithfull to Roswell

What do I think... hard to say. The episodes were not bad, but I doubt they were interesting to anyone but hard-core fans. They are in the same mood as the first episodes of the series, more focused on characters and relations, but then we all know the twist already and the full implications...

I would still want to see more conflict resulting from their dual allegiance, or from the decisions that they need to make, etc. It looks like some of this may be coming, but hopefully they won't put too much of an adventure touch on it.