Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody else watching the Crusade Marathon?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-08-01, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks to have gout, but nice to be home to watch the marathon. Anyone else watching?
Old 10-08-01, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would be, but this is the first I've heard of it. Can't believe I missed ads for it, as I watch about 4 hours of Sci-Fi on the average day. Oh well. Just ran home and set the TiVo for the last 8 episodes. I have them all on tape, but it's a pretty crappy cable feed. It'll be nice to replace them with nicer quality.

das

Hope ya feel better ...
Old 10-08-01, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
I would be, but this is the first I've heard of it.
Not true, not true!

I told you about it back on August 23rd:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...0&pagenumber=4

Of course, I probably should have posted a reminder. I guess I just assumed that everyone set their PalmPilots back when I first mentioned it.
Old 10-08-01, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by bboisvert

Not true, not true!

I told you about it back on August 23rd:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...0&pagenumber=4

Of course, I probably should have posted a reminder. I guess I just assumed that everyone set their PalmPilots back when I first mentioned it.
Crikey! There it is ... plain as day. I never saw that - it's likely because this vBulletin software isn't configured properly, and clicking on that "most recent post" sometimes skips one or two when there are too many posts in a thread. Grr. Oh well, you'd think they'd also be planning a movie blitz to prepare us for Rangers.

das
Old 10-08-01, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't wait to see Ruling From the Tomb. Particularly now that I was able to acquire the script from Peter David on Saturday. Probably will wind up being my favorite ep.
Old 10-08-01, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by elektra
I can't wait to see Ruling From the Tomb. Particularly now that I was able to acquire the script from Peter David on Saturday. Probably will wind up being my favorite ep.
Ack! I forgot about that ... how was your weekend?

das
Old 10-08-01, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Weekend wasn't bad. Probably shouldn't have walked anywhere, but too late for that now. Saturday was a bit on the ineteresting side.
Old 10-08-01, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Weekend wasn't bad. Probably shouldn't have walked anywhere, but too late for that now. Saturday was a bit on the ineteresting side.
Gee ... thanks for the details

das
Old 10-08-01, 02:19 PM

Re: Anybody else watching the Crusade Marathon?

Sucks to have gout, but nice to be home to watch the marathon. Anyone else watching?
gout!! that's an old man disease!

seriously though, hope you feel better soon. bet it sucks.
Old 10-08-01, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A coworker (who is off today) called to rub my nose in it. I agree with the Monkey; where were the commercials for it?

Old 10-08-01, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I did see some commercials during the last few days of Farscape (which I'm now hooked on thanks to all of you). It was just in the last few days though, they really didn't plan too far ahead on this one.
Old 10-08-01, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by valkyrie
I did see some commercials during the last few days of Farscape (which I'm now hooked on thanks to all of you). It was just in the last few days though, they really didn't plan too far ahead on this one.
Just keep listening to us on what shows to take a look at ... we won't steer you wrong Had you also been keeping up with the new Farscapes, or are you just working through the daily repeats?

das
Old 10-08-01, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I tried watching a few of the new ones, but the discrepancy between the character roles (i.e. Krese) was tough to follow, so I've decided to go in order. In fact, since Farscape was conflicting with other primetime shows, I went out and bought another ReplayTV this weekend to make sure I got Farscape! Isn't that sad? (It was a demo unit that I got for a steal, but it's primary purpose is to record Farscape, haha).

It's really got me hooked. The first couple episodes were hokey, but now I really look forward to watching it. Plus, it's even harder than B5 was because there's that Friday - Sunday gap, where B5 only had a Saturday-Sunday gap.

PS. If anyone hears about the B5 movies being shown on Sci-fi, please let everyone here know with a new post. I still have not seen River of Souls!
Old 10-08-01, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't have these on tape, so I haven't seen them since the last time it played. But at least it answers the nagging question I have about a character in Angel...

So, am I the only one confused about the new JMS-approved sequence of events on Crusade? I mean, am I having a bolnde moment?

valkyrie, 2 ReplayTV units -- now THAT'S my kinda watching! I only wish that I had a cable system that something like that would work on to make use of my 3 or 4 idle vcrs.
Old 10-08-01, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, I agree with you, the timeline is a bit screwy, but that's because of the episodes that JMS had to make cause of TNT's pressure, if I'm not mistaken. They ended up messing everything up right and good.

Anyway, I ended up taking Crusade almost episode by episode rather than trying to fit it into the timeline. I enjoyed it more that way.

Yeah, I suppose 2 Replay's are overkill, but hey...the second one might even be free after the rebate, so what the hell. I love PVR's...so much so, that I've even unhooked my VCR. It was too...analog.

Old 10-08-01, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm fine with it up until "War Zone." Then I'm all WTF is the FIRST episode doing 2nd from last?? I honestly think someone screwed up royally here. (I'm sure das will have some insight on this as soon as he's thru with the Angel threads. You and I still got a few minutes to go...)

The rest, I suppose, can stand on their own. But without the character development from B5, it's hard to get all that interested.

Last edited by Wizdar; 10-08-01 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-09-01, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

PVRs rule. I have the DirecTiVo, which gives me 2 tuners at once on the same device, so I don't need another one just yet (though I could certainly use it).

The Crusade episode order just hurts my brain to think about. I don't know what you mean by "insight" (not very good with things like that), but here's some of the reasoning ...

'Racing the Night' was supposed to be the first episode. TNT, in their finite wisdom, told jms to make another episode that explained things in more depth, had more hot chicks, and more of Gideon acting like Captain Kirk ... thus came 'War Zone' which actually aired first in its initial run. Everything got screwy after that ... episodes that should have aired after 'Racing the Night' got bumped back in the schedule, and new episodes were filmed that all aired first. By the time they got around to 'Racing the Night' it was episode 9, and everything was already FUBAR.

What Sci-Fi shows (claiming it to be jms' prefered order, but there's really no good way to show these) is more what jms would have done with the extra TNT "inspired" episodes thrown in and best as possible. This way you get the first 3 episodes at the beginning instead of the end and a little closer to jms' original vision. It still doesn't make sense, but I guess it makes more sense.

Sorry if that's info you already knew ... wasn't exactly sure what you were asking

das
Old 10-09-01, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

das, interesting stuff. Having found the series not very satisfying (or perhaps being sad over the ending of B5), I never got into the background of Crusade.

But what remains unanswered (for me, at least), is "War Zone." It establishes the beginning of the series and clearly does not belong near the end. (This is what I meant by “1st" episode.) I honestly don’t know if there is an order that “should work” better than others, but putting this one at the end -- even to this addled brain -- is just wrong.

I’ll try to tone down the compliments, since it seems to be cause for some discomfort.
das is smart. he will make us go.

Old 10-09-01, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My two favorites eps are Ruling from the Tomb (which I now have the autographed script for) and The Rules of the Game.
Old 10-09-01, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Wizdar
das, interesting stuff. Having found the series not very satisfying (or perhaps being sad over the ending of B5), I never got into the background of Crusade.

But what remains unanswered (for me, at least), is "War Zone." It establishes the beginning of the series and clearly does not belong near the end. (This is what I meant by “1st" episode.) I honestly don’t know if there is an order that “should work” better than others, but putting this one at the end -- even to this addled brain -- is just wrong.

Sorry ... as we've noted in another thread, I don't explain my thoughts well when I type. What I was getting at was that 'War Zone' was pretty much forced on jms. He had to add all this "beginning" stuff that wasn't part of his vision, and he thought 'Racing the Night' was the natural introduction to the series, which works fine without 'War Zone' in the mix. But fans would be pissed if they just didn't show 'War Zone' at all, and it does have some other important information. Wether it's artistic integrity or just a pissing contest between jms and TNT, he originally wanted 'Racing the Night' to be the first episode, so that's how Sci-Fi is showing it. I think the logic is that it's better to have one episode that doesn't fit thrown in at the end than to mess up the whole beginning with episodes that don't mesh. I'm just guessing here.

I’ll try to tone down the compliments, since it seems to be cause for some discomfort.

Nah, it's not a cause of discomfort. I just don't want to be some know-it-all thread killing machine or something. Partly because I certainly don't know it all, partly because I dislike know-it-alls in general, and mainly, contrary to what some may say, I don't want to be a jackass. Especially in this thread ... I've got some knowledge, but I'm certainly not a Crusade expert by any stretch of the imagination. I would guess elektra knows much more about it than I do. In real life, I'm one of those aw shucks guys that doesn't do well with compliments anyway. Rest assured, I do appreciate them ... I just don't accept them well.

das