DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Buffy 10/02/2001 [SPOILERS D'UH!] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/147216-buffy-10-02-2001-%5Bspoilers-duh-%5D.html)

elektra 10-02-01 07:40 PM

Buffy 10/02/2001 [SPOILERS D'UH!]

Okay, we're on a commercial. So far, okay. The acting is right on par. However, the Robot speech patterns are damn annoying.

elektra 10-02-01 07:58 PM

Okay, I have a real problem with Willow killing the deer. Witches have been trying to get rid of stupid stigma's like this. Someone will capitalize on this, I'm certain.

elektra 10-02-01 08:04 PM

Would there have been so much decay already????

Okay, I'm posting as I go on commercials.

RolloTomasi 10-02-01 08:08 PM

The lack of widescreen is a big disappointment - UPN's not getting on the ball :(

Buffybot IS annoying, and hardly funny.

das Monkey 10-02-01 08:09 PM

Friends of mine and I have been hoping for Willow to start to stay further down the dark path. Perhaps that's on the horizon.

Not too thrilled with the "rise from the dead" angle. Thought they'd come up with something better than that.

Back on...

das

elektra 10-02-01 08:17 PM

Okay, I liked the spell, but Willow has definitely broken the rule of and It Harm None, Do What you will. She should be hit by the law of three, "And whatsoever ye shall do for good or bane, shall return to ye threefold." We've purposely reworked many spells so it's no longer necessary to take a life.

Definitely getting intense.

elektra 10-02-01 08:32 PM

Okay, so magic-wise, Tara is fairly useless???? And one would think some sort of a spell to keep badies out of the Magic Box would be good. Then you have a safe haven? Or am I expecting too much? I know we have to suspend belief with the whole body being enbalmed thing, but how much belief needs to be suspended????

Patman 10-02-01 09:08 PM

Well, I still enjoyed the 2-hour season premiere of Buffy, in spite of Willow's measures to bring back Buffy.

For a split second, while Buffy was still buried in the coffin, I swear she looked like Calista Flockhart.

Yes, Willow was able to resurrect Buffy, but not without some questionable witchery (the deer). But in the end, Buffy's back, and can still kick some demon tail! I was getting to like Buffy-bot though.

It should be interesting to see how they integrate her back into the land of the living.

das Monkey 10-02-01 09:10 PM

Hate to say it, but I'm pretty disappointed.

It pretty much demeans her great sacrifice, if you can just kill a deer and bring her back to life. I thought the purpose of the Joyce episode (Catspaw ripoff) was to show the futility of trying to resurrect the dead. I want Buffy back as much as the next guy, but I would have liked something more. Some tradeoff. In order to get Buffy back, something REALLY bad and long-lasting should have happened in return. I'm not too keen on having her rise from the grave like nothing happened. At least we can see that they'll make a period of adjustment for Buffy, but I still feel a bit cheated.

Oh well ... can't win 'em all.

das

P.S. Unless, of course, the side effect is for Willow to go baddie on us. That would satisfy me.

Patman 10-02-01 09:11 PM

Loved it when Xander called himself a "Man-wich". LOL!

elektra 10-02-01 09:15 PM

I had been disappointed in the finale saying it should have been Dawn that jumped because we had been told that it was her and her blood all along. It would have been much more interesting if, either way - Dawn or Buffy, there had been no body and the person had to be brought back from another dimension. Would have been that much more interesting.

There will be a period of adjustment, but what we don't know yet, is if there will be any consequences. Usually there are. Overall I enjoyed the episode, but as you can see, I had my issues.

das Monkey 10-02-01 09:19 PM

Originally posted by Patman
Loved it when Xander called himself a "Man-wich". LOL!
A sloppy joe is just a sandwich, but a manwich is a meal ... yummm.

das

Draven 10-02-01 09:21 PM

Spoiler:
Looks like from the preview for next week there will be consequences.
I liked the episode, even though I wish it wasn't just a Willow Spell that brought her back. Though having only the one urn I guess means it wasn't THAT easy. And they said it had to be on a certain night or time of year, right? Eh, we will see how the season goes.

elektra 10-02-01 09:25 PM

draven - the spoilers were for this week, not next. It might be a good idea for you to give a heads up before speaking of next week. Most of the folks in this thread don't watch the previews, nor read TV Guide descriptions and prefer not to know what is coming next week.

Tscott 10-02-01 09:37 PM

I really liked tonights episode- but I'm sorry to see Giles go. Did anyone catch Tara's nod to the Mutant Enemy production company at the airport? "Arrgh. Arrrgh.":D I liked Buffy's return, it was similar to someone else's
Spoiler:
Angel's
return a few seasons ago where it took a while to regain their identity.

Also, I thought the scene with the deer was needed to make it clear that Willow wasn't being quite honest with the rest of the gang about the spell. Otherwise, how would we have known that this wasn't a spell she'd normally be meddling in?

das Monkey 10-02-01 09:46 PM

Grr ... argh ... frustratingly enough, I've been saying that for over a decade. Now it looks like I'm copying Mutant Enemy :( Oh well.

As for the deer scene, I was REALLY happy to see it. They've been dancing around the Willow issue for too long now. It's time for them to get serious with her character. She's been messing around with the mystical, and it's time for that to have consequences. Like I said, I've been hoping for her to get too powerful for her own good for a while now. Perhaps bringing Buffy back pushed her over the line.

das

Tscott 10-02-01 09:54 PM

Grr ... argh ... frustratingly enough, I've been saying that for over a decade. Now it looks like I'm copying Mutant Enemy Oh well.
Yeah, but were you saying it while moving a ugly finger puppet to make it look like the logo at the end of every episode?:D

das Monkey 10-02-01 09:59 PM

Originally posted by Tscott

Yeah, but were you saying it while moving a ugly finger puppet to make it look like the logo at the end of every episode?:D

Thankfully, I was not :)

das

Meatpants 10-02-01 10:13 PM

Tara: [sits on table]

Anya: With yoga?

:lol:

Dr. DVD 10-02-01 10:13 PM

Seems to me that I read somewhere that Willow will indeed turn evil later this year. For wrestling fans, she will make a heel turn ;)

whitetigeress 10-02-01 10:23 PM

I liked the fact that the one vampire who figured out that BuffyBot wasn't human was wearing a Hansen T-shirt. LMAO :lol

MoViE FaNaTiC 10-02-01 10:31 PM

Am I the only one that thinks the premiere could have been trimmed down to just 1 hour? I thought the pacing was really slow.

whitetigeress 10-02-01 10:38 PM

There is no way that they could of trimmed it down. I liked the 2 hour season premire.

DVD007 10-02-01 11:18 PM

Mark my words....

Willow will be the MAIN BAD GUY at the end of this Season....It is a lot like Darth Vader and she is going down the DARK path. The finale will have Buffy defeating Willow thereby letting Willow get back in Control...I imagine she will continue to slip the entire season until it hits a head this season finale....

Bruce

freedexter 10-02-01 11:59 PM

It really could have been better. They had two whole episodes to work with, and they just kinda gragged it out. They could have really just crammed that episode into the first hour and the next episode (the one with Xander's white eyes) into the second.

Oh well, it could have been much worse...

Draven 10-03-01 12:22 AM

I went ahead and added spoiler tags to my post, but others talked about next week as well. I'm very "spoiler-free" but I watch the promos for next week. Isn't that taking the "spoiler-free" lifestyle just a little too far? I mean, the creators themselves are "spoiling" next weeks show. I have to set my VCR using Guide Plus, which gives the synopsis of the episode. No way to avoid seeing the title.

I dunno, if people don't want to be spoiled, I'm all for it. I just think that's taking it a bit far. But I went ahead and added the tags, so all is well :)

JaseXF3 10-03-01 12:40 AM

Originally posted by draven-x
I went ahead and added spoiler tags to my post, but others talked about next week as well. I'm very "spoiler-free" but I watch the promos for next week. Isn't that taking the "spoiler-free" lifestyle just a little too far? I mean, the creators themselves are "spoiling" next weeks show. I have to set my VCR using Guide Plus, which gives the synopsis of the episode. No way to avoid seeing the title.

I dunno, if people don't want to be spoiled, I'm all for it. I just think that's taking it a bit far. But I went ahead and added the tags, so all is well :)

You are sooooo right!

MrN 10-03-01 12:44 AM

Rarely have I seen such great comedy and drama mixed in. Hopefully its the start of a great season.

Also wanted to add that I don't think next episode blurbs need spoiler warnings. If there's one thing I've learned from Buffy/Angel, they know how to surprise an audience - I don't think a 15 second clip is going to spoil the whole episode.

spainlinx0 10-03-01 02:11 AM

You know what I was just wondering? Shouldn't there technically be three slayers now? I mean when Buffy died for like a minute in the first season then came Kendra, leading to Faith. Buffy just died again, so shouldn't a THIRD slayer be born? Or does that trick only work once? Does Faith have to die now to get a new slayer?

JaseXF3 10-03-01 02:15 AM

Originally posted by MrN
Rarely have I seen such great comedy and drama mixed in. Hopefully its the start of a great season.

Also wanted to add that I don't think next episode blurbs need spoiler warnings. If there's one thing I've learned from Buffy/Angel, they know how to surprise an audience - I don't think a 15 second clip is going to spoil the whole episode.

You, sir, are also soooo right.

On both points!

spainlinx0 10-03-01 02:22 AM

Oh by the way I missed the Angel season premiere, does anyone happen to have it on mpeg or avi? I have been trying to get it off of Morpheus but the downloads are abysmally slow for some reason on this file. Can anyone send me the file from a better connection, or at least show me a good place to get it?

WarriorPrincess 10-03-01 03:33 AM

Originally posted by spainlinx0
You know what I was just wondering? Shouldn't there technically be three slayers now? ...
From what I understand of the buffyverse (lots of guesses here, I could be wrong), if a slayer dies, a new slayer is created, but only once for each slayer. Spoilers for those who haven't seen previous seasons
Spoiler:
I didn't watch early on, so have no idea who Kendra is, but I imagine at some point Buffy died, making Kendra, then Kendra died, making Faith. At some point of course Buffy came back to life otherwise there wouldn't be a show. ;) Now Faith has to die to make a new slayer. No matter how many times Buffy dies (please, no more :) ) there won't be a new slayer until and unless Faith dies. From what I can gather, Faith is the link in the slayer chain now, not Buffy, since Buffy "used up" her replacement already.

elektra 10-03-01 04:30 AM

JaseXF3 - TROLL MUCH???? If you're just going to THREAD CRAP and not contribute anything to the conversation then please do us all a favor and BUGGER OFF!!!!!

Where in the world are the mods to take care of the cockroaches when you need them?

draven/MrN - thanks. I know it might seem a bit excessive to you but to some folks (not me, I watch the previews) prefer to know as little as possible. There are a couple of threads floating around this forum that go into a bit of detail on this.

I don't know if WarriorPrincess is right or not. It seems logical what she said, so I don't know if we'll get another slayer or not.

das Monkey 10-03-01 07:19 AM

Originally posted by elektra
JaseXF3 - TROLL MUCH???? If you're just going to THREAD CRAP and not contribute anything to the conversation then please do us all a favor and BUGGER OFF!!!!!

<I>You</I> are sooooooo right!

Where in the world are the mods to take care of the cockroaches when you need them?
I think we're pretty much left alone over here in TV Land.

draven/MrN - thanks. I know it might seem a bit excessive to you but to some folks (not me, I watch the previews) prefer to know as little as possible. There are a couple of threads floating around this forum that go into a bit of detail on this.
Yeah, I too have no problem with the promos, but I can understand why others do, so I try to tread lightly. Especially now that UPN has the franchise ... those Buffy Lives! promos that wouldn't go away last week gave away way too much.

I don't know if WarriorPrincess is right or not. It seems logical what she said, so I don't know if we'll get another slayer or not.
I would agree on this as well, except we all know that Joss is constantly tweaking Buffy lore, so if he decides he wants another slayer, another slayer we will get, and there will be some explanation for it :)

das

elektra 10-03-01 08:15 AM

das - definitely why I said I don't know. You never know with Joss. If it will add dimension to the show, he'll do it. Still would have been nice if they had found a way to bring Faith back.

Dead 10-03-01 08:26 AM

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls... could I have your attention please!

There is no good reason for some of the personal comments and thread crapping that is going on here. Please try to get along with each other here.

* Please do not put spoilers in the thread titles. If the thread will contain spoilers, please indicate that fact in the thread title.

* If you are going to post spoilers inside threads not clearly marked as containing them, use the spoiler tag.

* If you are unhappy about someone else's actions, don't respond by attacking them. Instead, E-Mail one of the mods.

*Some of you seem to be having a running spat due to past events. Do yourself a favor and let it go.

Thanks...

D.

elektra 10-03-01 08:29 AM

THANK YOU DEAD!!!!

Much apologizings. Will report to you and other mods for punishment......

das Monkey 10-03-01 08:45 AM

Thanks, Dead!

Sorry if anything I said was out of line.

/me presents palms for punishment.

das

movielib 10-03-01 09:42 AM

Originally posted by MoViE FaNaTiC
Am I the only one that thinks the premiere could have been trimmed down to just 1 hour? I thought the pacing was really slow.
I don't know if the whole episode could have fit in one hour but there was sure not enough for two. It seems to be an almost universal law of TV that two hour episodes of one hour shows do not have enough story to fill up two hours so they are padded. Perhaps it's because the writers and everyone else are so used to working in the one hour format they really don't know how to write a two hour show.

Nevertheless the story was pretty good although, I think, a little strained and below par. But a lot of things were set up for a promising season. I really like the direction Willow seems to be going.

Neeperando 10-03-01 09:50 AM

I believe WarriorPrincess is right, that's what I've heard from my friend who spends most of his free time posting on the Buffy board, where Joss and other writers post now and then.

I thought yesterday's episode was good. I thought it was a good <insert fancy film word here, parallellism or symbolism or something> seeing Buffy wake up in a coffin and claw her way up to the surface like a vampire. I agree that a resurrection spell seemed like kind of a weak copout, but it's gonna be cool later when it turns out that Willow being evil (I hope and assume) is a direct consequence of Buffy coming back. That will make it doubly difficult for Buffy to kill Willow (Not that she will, but I'm sure they'll consider it eventually). If it was just Willow turned evil, they might be able try to stop her, but if she turned evil in saving Buffy, they can't just let her go like they did with Angel. I thought the Harley Demons were pretty lame, and the could of come up with something less blatently stupid for such an emotional episode. Sad to see Giles go, too. First of the 4 main cast members to leave, too bad, I'd hoped those four would all stay to the end. Oh, well, what are you gonna do?

Finally, despite the fact that Buffybot was annoying, it was cool how they used her to show how everyone reacted to Buffy being gone. Spike couldn't stand to look at her, Willow felt obligated to repair her whenever she was broken, Giles trained with her, even though she didn't really need it. Glad to see her die, though.