FRIENDS: Season 8

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-27-01, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(SPOILERS)

Well, what a big tease this season premiere was.

From this first episode, I see no evidence thusfar that this will be the year that FRIENDS re-bounds to glory.

Ever since Season 6, after EVERYBODY found out about Chandler and Monica, the writing has gone downhill.

THE FIRST RULE OF SITCOMHOOD: once a main character has pregnancy or marriage written into the storyline, usually that means the run is over, or near-over.

Last edited by jeffkjoe; 09-27-01 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-27-01, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
any shark jumping going on?
Old 09-27-01, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the way they dealt with Lisa Kudrow's pregnancy was clever but why make up one up? I hope they have something good for next week- tonight's show could have been better the plot lines for the guys were pretty bad
Old 09-27-01, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the season finale last season was the first truly funny Friends in a long time, so I tuned in tonight hoping that maybe it was actually gonna get better. Boy was I wrong.
Old 09-27-01, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
not too great
hopefully it'll improve
Old 09-27-01, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree. This was a very subpar episode. I think I only laughed a couple of times and those were more of a chuckle. It's never as funny IMO when they focus on the girls.
Old 09-28-01, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

so how long will they drag out the "who is the father" bit?
Old 09-28-01, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

seems like i read somewhere that they will reveal the father in the next couple of weeks or so. as for me, i kinda enjoyed this episode. i thought that it was much better then most of the episodes last year at least.
Old 09-28-01, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The comedy was good, but the story was subpar. The characters on Friends can make me laugh without pathetically trying to tug at my heart. I guess it's good that this is the end, because there's little life left.

das
Old 09-28-01, 09:40 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Wow...I only managed to see about 10 minutes worth (I'm hoping a co-worker friend managed to record it, since my VCR programming went awry), but what I saw was too damn funny--much better than any part of the seventh season finale, which goes down in my book as the worst FRIENDS episode ever.
Old 09-28-01, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, I found it funnier than most of last season's episodes. Of course, that isn't saying much.
Old 09-28-01, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by Venusian
so how long will they drag out the "who is the father" bit?
Probably until November sweeps.
Old 09-28-01, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i agree that the writing wasn't up to par as much as other seasons past but i still found the episode to be pretty funny. i am disappointed that they didn't tell us who the father was but it's not like they haven't done stuff like that to us before ( ie when ross & rachel first got together, they put in that list storyline to drag out the story for a few episodes)
Old 09-28-01, 11:50 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it,
Loved Joey's outfit, busted a gut with ross on the dance floor.
I think they will allow ross to get a woman this year.
Chandler's shoe thing wasn't funny

I liked how phoebe handled the pregnancy thing.
James Brolin
And also how she dealt with the test at the end. Very sweet.

I think the girls roles were more girly this week, and joey is always the yuk yuk character.
Old 09-28-01, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope it gets better!

The cleavage was the only redeeming quality last night!

<small> (but who's complaining) </small>
Old 09-28-01, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gotta agree, pretty subpar all around! Ross's storyline was pretty funny, which was a saving grace of the episode.

And I want to know what happened to Chandler's Dad, who'd of course been at the wedding at the end of last season, and now has disappeared without a trace for the reception. Too bad, I was looking forward to him(her) whatever.
Old 09-28-01, 12:00 PM

The eps was okay. It had its moments, but I will have to agree that it could of been better

Some of Joey's lines were great

The pregnancy test bit I like too.

Cleavage, never enough of that

And as for the "whos the father" story line. I read some spoiler on other sites (from fans that saw the taping) and it should be resolve within the next two eps. (<-- that wasn't a spoiler right?)
Old 09-28-01, 12:25 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It was just ok.

Here's hoping they pull a good season together before ending the show. If they do another Ross/Rachel story, I'm gonna quit watching.
Old 09-28-01, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked it. What I loved though was the Harry Potter tv spot! Quidditch scenes!! Woohoo!
Old 09-28-01, 12:35 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

re harry potter.
I don't need to see any more scenes from the movie, please
do not release any more tv spots or trailers, the world is coming to see it. it will do well, just don't show us all the movie before I get a chance to see it
Old 09-28-01, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by roberthalton
re harry potter.
I don't need to see any more scenes from the movie, please
do not release any more tv spots or trailers, the world is coming to see it. it will do well, just don't show us all the movie before I get a chance to see it

As far as I know, those have been the only tv spots and they were only shown 2x last night. One with Friends, another with ER. And there've only been 2 trailers released. One attached to a kiddie movie that hardly anybody watched (See Spot Run I think) and one attached to A.I. And it's been mostly characters shown, not specific scenes. I wouldn't qualify what we've seen so far as "the whole movie" already.
Old 09-28-01, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They'll reveal the father in the next episode!! So stop your rumor-mongering about having to wait until November sweeps. Next week, they'll tell us who the father is.
Old 09-28-01, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So anybody care to venture a guess on who the father is? My gut instinct says its Ross...but that seems like such an obvious choice.

Maybe it'll be somebody else and that guy will run away...and Ross will come to the rescue sometime later in the season.

Whatever the case, I think Ross and Rachel will get back together.

Old 09-28-01, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
Maybe it'll be somebody else and that guy will run away...and Ross will come to the rescue sometime later in the season.

Whatever the case, I think Ross and Rachel will get back together.

My thoughts exactly. They (producers) know that most everyone wants the whole Ross/Ratchel thing back again. I think it would be a great way to end the series.
Old 09-28-01, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is Jennifer Aniston pregnant in real life? Otherwise, I think this is the stupidest thing that the producers can do... Okay, let's take the sexiest actress on the show and totally cover her up and stuff pillows underneath her clothing. I'm sure that our male audience will not mind.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.