Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What is Saturday Night Live going to do this weekend?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-27-01, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or for that matter, the season? I understand Reese Witherspoon is hosting but what will the opening be like. And what do they do from there?

Last season, they hit a chord with critics and viewers with dead-on parodies of Gore and Shrub. The 3 debate sketches were replayed on cable over and over, each time getting funnier and funnier. But after Smirk assumed power, Wil Ferrel's portrayal of an idiot-in-chief took over. Can he/they afford to do that this Saturday, or even at all anymore?

And what about Weekend Update? I'm a part-time comedian myself, and I pride myself on material based on politics and current events, but try doing that now. I predict Mariah Carey, Micheals Jordan and Jackson, and Whitney Houston jokes up the ying yang.

I'd also assume we'll se a return to the generic characters from the last few years, with maybe some new ones starting out. Why mine for trouble with current events when you can bust out Marty Culp and Bobbi Mohan-Culp, Gemini's Twin (which I HATE), or Fallon and Dratch's Boston teenager sketches.

Thoughts?

Last edited by pezboy; 09-29-01 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-27-01, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read this in the Detroit Free Press today:

WHEN IS "SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE" RETURNING?

On Saturday. The new season will acknowledge the attacks "in an emotional way," executive producer Lorne Michaels said Wednesday.

I didn't even know it was starting until I read this. Glad I didn't miss it.
Old 09-27-01, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lorne Michaels has announced that there definitely will NOT be any jokes about GWB. Looks like Will Ferrell's impersonation is going to be shelved for a while. I'm glad about that, it's the same joke beaten into the ground over and over again.
Old 09-27-01, 06:32 PM

Re: What is Saturday Night Live going to do this weekend?

Originally posted by pezboy
Or for that matter, the season? I understand Reese Witherspoon is hosting and Walter Cronkite (for some reason) is opening the show with what I would assume would be words of comfort.
It was my understanding that Walter Cronkite was going to do a speech before the Emmys
Old 09-27-01, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: What is Saturday Night Live going to do this weekend?

Originally posted by TheEdge21

It was my understanding that Walter Cronkite was going to do a speech before the Emmys
The Emmys are going to be a complete change from what they were. No outlandish dresses, no wacky jokes, no acceptance speeches, etc.
Old 09-27-01, 09:29 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Lorne Michaels has announced that there definitely will NOT be any jokes about GWB. Looks like Will Ferrell's impersonation is going to be shelved for a while. I'm glad about that, it's the same joke beaten into the ground over and over again.
Too bad. I'd just love to see someone pounce over his multiple use of the word "misunderestimate" in a recent speech.
Old 09-28-01, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Darren Garrison

Too bad. I'd just love to see someone pounce over his multiple use of the word "misunderestimate" in a recent speech.

And there's another GWB mannerism that has come out during his speeches of the past few weeks - "make no mistake..."

He sometimes says that line 3 or 4 times in one address.
Old 09-29-01, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I kept thinking the season opener this saturday was a repeat because Reese Witherspoon just hosted the show last season.......I'm almost positive.

Does any1 know if this is correct??
Old 09-29-01, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
I kept thinking the season opener this saturday was a repeat because Reese Witherspoon just hosted the show last season.......I'm almost positive.

Does any1 know if this is correct??
Nah, this one's all new. They announced early in the summer that Reese would be hosting the next season's premiere. I remember thinking the same thing, because she had hosted not 4 weeks earlier. But the TV spots confirm that it's super duper all new ... with Alicia Keyes.

das
Old 09-29-01, 01:47 PM

Has anyone seen The Onion? www.theonion.com They've unleeashed an outstanding issue nearly entirely Sept. 11 related. I'm wondering if that's the "go ahead" that shows like SNL needed to gauge interest in (lightly) mocking Dubya or patriotism or stuff like that.

Of course w/ the WTC right there, you'd think they'd be pretty somber and reflective. I'm still expecting a Marty Culp and Bobbi Mohan-Culp medley of patriotic hits.
Old 09-29-01, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
on the news today they said Gulliani is doing the opening, there will be no bush jokes until everything has settled down, and no jokes about the attacks
Old 09-29-01, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Spoiler:

can we be funny?
why start now

what was up with the beginning, the narator said something like "ana gasteyer was tina fey"
Old 09-29-01, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

horatio sans does the best teachers in the world
Old 09-29-01, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:

extra mucous from her fish genitalia
the memaid skit is too funny
Old 09-29-01, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Thoughts as I watch the show now....

1) DON PARDO screwed up. Since all of the supporting players from last year have been promoted to regulars,

he said: "Ana Gasteyer" by accident when Tina Fey's face popped up after Will Ferell's pic. I guess he's not used to having Tina Fey appearing after Will Ferrell now in the openng credits.

2) Boy, do the "safe" sketches REEK!

Sure, the writers can be safer now, but does that mean the sketches have to be so darn terrible? And I'm a LONGTIME, DIE-HARD SNL FAN!
Old 09-29-01, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

LOL
this is soo funny
Old 09-30-01, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just like last season ... the most annoying trend of the last 5 years of SNL is that it's NOT a 90 minute show. It's a 60 minute show with 30 minutes of cow poop thrown on the end.

The beginning was pretty funny as usual. Weekend Update seemed to be bumped earlier in the show, but that could just be perception. I LOVED the Nostradamus joke, but apparently the audience didn't get it. For a premiere, I was pretty disappointed, but SNL is always hit or miss ... you never know when something's going to be incredibly funny or when it will fall completely flat (you like-a da juice, ah?). I do think they should ditch Celebrity Jeopardy. It's their funniest bit from the past 5+ years, but it can't be as funny as it was. The last two they've done just weren't as good.

das
Old 09-30-01, 12:07 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by jeffkjoe

2) Boy, do the "safe" sketches REEK!

Sure, the writers can be safer now, but does that mean the sketches have to be so darn terrible? And I'm a LONGTIME, DIE-HARD SNL FAN!
I thought the "making fun of that damn nitwit Jessie Jackson" segment was pretty good.
Old 09-30-01, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

classic

I thought the "making fun of that damn nitwit Jessie Jackson" segment was pretty good.
Old 09-30-01, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was probably their worst Jessie Jackson appearance ("If not here, where? If not now, when? Ibbidy dibbity ... bibbidy doo"), but at least they went after him again. He should be satirized twice a week.

das
Old 09-30-01, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Those two on the piano and singing whatstheirnames...

THEY ARE SOOOOOOOOO BAAAAAAAAAAAAD.

Loved the mermaid and most of the stuff in the beginning..
Old 09-30-01, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i think this is the first time that i've ever liked the skit with the two music teachers.

when they started singing h to the izzo

and the news was alright too.
Old 09-30-01, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it is crippling to Darrell Hammond when he can't do "any" political figures.

Jessie Jackson is not one of his best in my opinion and they stayed with it FORRRREEEEVVEERR.

Horatio Sanz is being put in all the wrong skits.......he's just not that good and he's not Chris Farley.

Very true how the last half (which i rarely watch anymore) always sucks. I still vote to keep Jeopardy because on a curve it's still pretty good.

Maya Rudolph did ok I think.......it's apparent she's the leading lady now.

They used up the first ten minutes with Paul Simon........I guess if you're a big fan of his then that's good.

I still like the music teachers.......Ana Gasteyer always reminds me of "Tootsie" by the way she looks.

I liked Tracy Morgan's two seconds when they went over to the hospital room with his baby.

WEEKEND UPDATE is about the only thing i consistently find funny. And I never liked it with Colin Quinn or Dennis Miller.

And I am a huge Dennis Miller fan from the HBO show.
Old 09-30-01, 11:17 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

It's good to see SNL is still a total waste of my time, so I can continue watching The Howard Stern Radio Show without feeling like I'm missing anything over on NBC.
Old 09-30-01, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Weekend Update segment has some good jokes, but Tina Fey and Jimmy Fallon are just way too annoying to watch. The worst part is when they deliver a punchline and then start laughing at what they just said. It's pathetic.

The Celebrity Jeopardy skits are running out of steam, too.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.