Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

fear factor - is this the worst reality show EVER?!!!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-25-01, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
omigod, i cannot even believe how lame this was. so lame that i'm not even gonna waste anymore sentences on how bad it was.
Old 06-25-01, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i noticed you waited till AFTER the show to post. so you watched the whole thing? i think a lot of people think it's dumb, and bitch about it, but continue to watch the entire show.
Old 06-25-01, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
it's dumb because some of the things they make you do isn't about fear. where's the fear in eating bugs? that's about doing something GROSS not about FEAR ...

Old 06-25-01, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by namja
it's dumb because some of the things they make you do isn't about fear. where's the fear in eating bugs? that's about doing something GROSS not about FEAR ...

i agree with that. it's unfair to most of the female contestants too because, even though they may conquer their fear in an event, they often don't have the strength to finish the job.
Old 06-25-01, 11:29 PM

I can see the fear element in the bug/worm/rats/snake-related challenges. I just don't see what's so scary about all the other stunts. Jumping from a jet ski to a helicopter? Being dragged by a horse? Jumping across semi's?

I suppose if you had a fear of heights, some of the stunts would be scary, but with all the safety harnesses they use, I'd imagine pretty much anyone could overcome their fear of heights.

What I hate about the show is that the stunts become really boring the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th times you have to watch them. Not to mention that every time they come back from commercial, there's a little time lapse; we have to listen to Joe explain the rules again and re-watch part of someone's stunt. I think they need 4 stunts per episode and more efficient editing to pick up the pace.

That being said, I did enjoy some of the stunts, like the hanging car challenge from the first episode and the bug bowling from tonight's episode!
Old 06-26-01, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the show rocks.

All the events aren't meant to scare the contestants out of participating, it is the extra factor of 'fear' that makes them more difficult. Like that one where they are jumping from one train to another. Any idiot could jump that gap on land, its the high velocity and the 'fear' of falling in between the cars that makes it a bit more difficult to do. Sure, its safe, etc, but still can be unnerving. Bungee jumping is safe, yet I would never personally do it (unless 50 grand was on the line!
Old 06-26-01, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Watched last night. Lamest... show... ever. Where the hell did they find that host? Where the hell did they find those contestants? Jeez. I really was shocked at how appallingly bad the show was.
Old 06-26-01, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sometimes I think the worst reality show is the news.

On another note: I couldn't force myself to be covered in rats for 50g's. I'd need a lot more incentive to risk rats biting my anus or the end of my penis.
Old 06-26-01, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

I like it also.

Last night I wanted to kill that chick though!
Old 06-26-01, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Well, until Big Brother 2 shows up next week, that is...
Old 06-27-01, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by SirCaustic
Watched last night. Lamest... show... ever. Where the hell did they find that host? Where the hell did they find those contestants? Jeez. I really was shocked at how appallingly bad the show was.
Well they found him on a little known Network... NBC on a little show called News Radio .

Also he has had a pretty successful stand-up career.

He won't make or break this show.