Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else saddened by the eries finale of ST:Voyager?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anyone else saddened by the eries finale of ST:Voyager?

Old 05-16-01, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sure, the show was no ST:TNG, but it had its moments. Most of the charaters were likable. I hope that they producers of the franchise of movies are able to somehow use some of the Voyager characters in cameos. Supposedly, 7 of 9 is going to have a cameo in Star Trek X. So long, Voyager. I'll miss you.
Old 05-16-01, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I know you mean that sincerely, so I hope this doesn't turn into another "bash Voyager" thread. But to be honest, this will be the first series I won't miss at all. To me, it was just an embarrassment, and I've tried my darnedest to give it chance after chance...

I'll watch the finale, but I'll be surprised if it moves me much. I tend to forget Voyager eps about ten minutes after watching them...
Old 05-16-01, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All I am going to miss is Seven Of NINE!
(i like her with her hair up better)

OH yeah and my asian brother Harry Kim, I wished he would developed more as a character, but I guess since that whole traumatic experience with him killing the crew in that episode...oh well.

I just wished that the creators would create a nice borg show or something.
Old 05-16-01, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Like you said its no TNG but its all right. Deep Space Nine was too soap opera-ey, then it all became about war. What happened to the original star trek where they explore new spieces and all teh science stuff (kinda like the Omega factor)? Voyager had a little of that, which was good. The borg were cool cuz they were exotic but Voyager has a borg encounter every other week and they are just ruining it.
Old 05-16-01, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I dislike Voyager as well, but I will watch the Series Ender. I read the TV Guide for next week and the episode sounds A LOT like "All Good Things..." from ST:TNG in that there is old and young Janeway (or Picard in TNG) in the show. Evidentally Adm. Janeway goes back in time to change something that happened between Voyager and the Borg and doesn't worry about the consequences or something along that line.

I will not bash Voyager, but the ST franchise has not been hot since TNG left the air personally.
Old 05-16-01, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

when is the series finale?
Old 05-16-01, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm rather partial to species 8472 because they can kick borg bootie. It will be sad to see Voyager go because I had fun making fun of Kathryn Janeway's voice Actually, I quite like 7 of 9. She really made the show a lot better than it was when they had that Funky Little Dwarf, Kes, on the show.

Marianne
Old 05-16-01, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Venusian -- Tonight's show is the 2nd-to-last, with the finale next week...
Old 05-16-01, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by adamblast
Venusian -- Tonight's show is the 2nd-to-last, with the finale next week...
And it's a 2-hour finale, so it starts one hour earlier (at least in my area).
Old 05-16-01, 05:35 PM

I like 7 too, especially her uniform! *-) I just wish they hadn't make her so human. I mean everyone has to conform to the human view of things, why?! It's too bad they don't allow any kind of real different point of view on the ship. The final series of episodes kinna suck! No real excitement. No leading to the finale. I just want to see them for once get their bud kick royally by the Borg, like they should, and not get out of the jam at the last minute by some impossible moronic solutions. Just once I'd like to see a logical escape. Man, if the finale is another "go back in time to fix thing", it'll be toooooo sad!
Old 05-16-01, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It is another "go back in time and fix" thing...so fear it.
Old 05-16-01, 08:26 PM
Banned

Voyager should've been canceled years ago.
Old 05-16-01, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

crap! I just realized I dont get upn here in Austin, I guess that means no Voyager for me.
Old 05-16-01, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just saw the preview of the finale... the same future uniforms too.

Originally posted by AgtFox
It is another "go back in time and fix" thing...so fear it.
Old 05-16-01, 11:03 PM
Banned

No.i'm not sad that this show is fianlly leaving TV.But fans of this Star Trek series can watch this show in reruns(on whatever channel shows it!).Personelly I thought it was a rather lame attempt at Star Trek being "lost in space".This what receall about it's debut several years ago. What this show really became a was a sci-fi "soap opera" between the senior crew and other people(love triangles etc).

What I'd like to know if this ship has a crew of 150 people, surely they would get home faster and let the viewers see more crew members besides the senior crew in each episode?Also quit stopping and checking out every weird thing in space?You can't get home any faster if you stop at every planet etc!! Maybe that's why I stopped watching as "star trek" I could never get into. I never believed that there was 150 people on board because I never say them!

Now "Doctor Who"(r.i.p), one of my favorite TV shows off the air in the US and britian? was fun to watch!!I dare fans of the "Star Trek " TV series to try to live without your favorite sci-fi TV show on TV!! Trekkies take thier shows for granted.Try not being able to watch it for almost 15 years(only by videotape ands books)!!believe me you will not take it for granted!

Anybody not feeling sad by this shows series finale besides me?
Old 05-17-01, 12:28 AM
Needs to provide a working email

I watch Voyager sometimes, but not regularly, and not with much concern. There isn't a single character on the show that is IMHO written well enough to gain any type of emotional attachment from me. Any single one of them could have been killed in any episode and I would have concidered them as expendable as any "doomed away-team extra" from the earlier series. With the exception, of course, of 38 of Double D.
Old 05-17-01, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Not at all. I felt it was pretty creatively dead characterwise and relyed too much on calculated, contrived stunts, and technobabble in an effort to make up for lackluster characters/actors. So many episodes were a retread of tired Trek plots. Also, there was always some kind of trickery would always get them out of trouble, so the focus was more about technology, fx, and eye candy than human beings.

i pretty much skipped the entire 2-4 seasons, except for an episode here and there. It had its moments, but out of 22 episopdes a year you are bound to have a few decent ones.

Speaking of which, instead of starting another thread, someone could answer a question for me. What was the deal with Kess leaving the show? What I mean, is behind the scenes- Was her character always supposed to leave? Was the actress tired of the show? Were fans unresponsive to her character or her as an actress? What was the deal with that?
Old 05-17-01, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The actress asked to leave, but I don't know any of the other details. Turns out to have been a lucky break for the show, eh?
Old 05-17-01, 05:10 PM

To be honest here folks..

I like ST:V but am I the only one who realized that they missed their best chance of getting home with the very first show this season? Correct me if I am wrong, and I know I usually am, but the Voyager team has a borg Trans-warp drive no? Wasen't the very first show of the season when Janeway helped in the revolt of all those borg soldiers? She ends up teaming up with a Borg Sphere to finish off the Borg cube and what happens? The Sphere leaves. They make no referance to Janeway asking how to make the drive work since they now have a whole ship worth of borg who can make it work with Voyager. Afterall, 7 would have been out of the Borg loop on info and new species so they might have known something she didn't.
Spoiler:

To top off this whole final season, they don't once ever run into another "freed" Borg ship. So all of that work, all of that risk to start a revolution and they made not one more referance to it the entire season that I saw. Now in the final episode you see referance to Borg again. That comes acros as kind of cliche. Start the season with kicking their ass, end the season with getting an ass kicking. bah!!

I'll still watch the final show though.
Old 05-17-01, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How did the borg ship get free?

No there best chance of getting home was long back when Janeway was the judge in a trial with Q, he said he would send them home. She eventually ruled for him anyway, she could have worked out a deal.
Old 05-17-01, 05:33 PM

in the series opener

or I shoudl say the season finale last year, 7 was being pulled into this digital world that some drone's would go to. They would keep their memories of their "Before borg" lives as well as memories of their borg life as well. The borg queen learned of it and was trying to deystroy it but Janeway interfeared to creat a Borg revolt. The season ended with Janeway, Tuvok and Belona getting captured and made Borg.

The season opener starts with the fact that it was s ruse and using some medical treatment the three of them never became full borg drone's. They then broke the link the queen had to the "dream World" and led to a borg revolt. When the cube and Voyager have the showdown at the end a borg Sphere shows up led by a Klingon drone that regained his memories and took control of the ship with fellow drone's who also regained their idenity and came to Janeway's aid. teh ship then leaves and taht's it. no mention of transwarp drive and a way home.
Old 05-17-01, 05:36 PM

I should also say

this digital world was a dream state the drone's would enter during regeneration.
Old 05-17-01, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by adamblast
The actress asked to leave, but I don't know any of the other details. Turns out to have been a lucky break for the show, eh?
Wow, considering they most likely had 5 yr contracts, they must have been happy to let her ago, one speculates, because she just wasnt popular? Seven was a breath of fresh air,...in a calculated, "lets appeal to a wider demographic and increase the cool factor to reel viewers in" kind of way, but Hell, it worked.
Old 05-17-01, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've only watched bits of Voyager but could someone tell me how Kess left the show? I know that pretty early on they commented on how she only had like a 5 yr. life span so she was bound to die? Did she actually die on the show or what?
Old 05-17-01, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, so many questions.

Kess was scripted out of the show by having the mysterious ability [it was never explained why it happened to her, as it isn't a part of her race] to see "farther" and perform things by thought. She could penetrate into the pass the sub-atomic, which apparently as far as science believes it can go. Anyways, she transforms into a molecular structure and in the process "pushes" Voyager pass the Borg quadrent.

In one episode, they did confiscate a Borg trans-warp drive and were able to use it until it finally gave out on them. Iy was damamged in a battle and I can't remember exactly how far they went, although 15 thousand lightyears sounds about right. Remember, they started 75 thousand lightyears from the alpha quadrant.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.