CNN Go blasts their live-stream commercial's audio, and they should be ashamed

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 11-17-21, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 274 Likes on 219 Posts

https://www.cnn.com/2012/12/13/showb...ume/index.html

It's clear they've learned nothing. They should be fined as well (not sure by who).

I don't have a receiver that does auto-volume adjustment, and even if I did I hate using features like that.

There isn't much of value on CNN (or any of the other 24hr "news" channels) worth watching anyways, so I guess I'll just watch even less than I have.
Old 11-17-21, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

Received 626 Likes on 479 Posts
Re: CNN Go blasts their live-stream commercial's audio, and they should be ashamed

Yeah man!
Old 11-17-21, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,649 Likes on 1,209 Posts
Re: CNN Go blasts their live-stream commercial's audio, and they should be ashamed

Fined? Ashamed? Dramatic much?
Old 11-17-21, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 601 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post

There isn't much of value on CNN (or any of the other 24hr "news" channels) worth watching anyways, so I guess I'll just watch even less than I have.
Why would you care about a channel you don't care about? Bitching just to bitch about something?
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (11-17-21)
Old 11-17-21, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

Received 626 Likes on 479 Posts

I think our opinions will be corrected once CNN switches to Dolby Atmos. I gave up on 3D.
Old 11-17-21, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Fined? Ashamed? Dramatic much?
No.

Apartment living is hard enough, try watching TV at 2am and then all of a sudden your setup starts blasting thunderous pumped up audio/bass. CNN not only jacks up volume levels for commercials, they do it for the low-end as well.

It's not so funny when your neighbor is bitching to you about waking them up.
Old 11-17-21, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,649 Likes on 1,209 Posts

So try watching CNN at 2am with this, instead of cranking up your TV and stereo.

Old 11-17-21, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
So try watching CNN at 2am with this, instead of cranking up your TV and stereo.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...alm-act-2021-3

I don't crank it- that's the point, it's CNN that does it. And I shouldn't have to watch with headphones.

The CALM Act was supposed to stop networks from doing this, but ironically it doesn't apply to streaming, so while those with cable are able to watch TV with somewhat normal volume levels, those who get the majority of their content over streaming can't. Not only does this apply to CNN, but it applies to any streaming content with commercials. I've noticed increasing volume levels over the past year or so on pretty much all streaming content, especially live content like sports.

Maybe I could have phrased the post about this topic- the networks are trying to take advantage of the "captive" audience over the past year by gradually increasing volume levels of their streamed content. It's fucking annoying.
Old 11-18-21, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I feel your pain. Not a CNN subscriber, but the worst violator I've found is Hulu. Their ad breaks are LOUD. My girlfriend and I immediately mute the TV when they come on... and then we sit in silence for 2 minutes like an old married couple. (One of my friends said this is what is parents do.)
Old 11-22-21, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts

Yiu are so right about Hulu. It’s brutal.
my wife and I do the same thing. Hit the mute button as soon as the commercials start.

Another bad offender are live radio streaming apps like Audacy formerly Radio.com
I listen to sports talk from Philly this way since we moved to Florida years ago.

The baseball mlb streaming app might be the worst app at this.
the radio feeds are very low but the commercials are super loud.
Really awful in the car when you have the radio feed turned up and then a commercial comes on.