Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

FandangoNOW is moving to Vudu

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-21, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 151 Likes on 120 Posts
FandangoNOW is moving to Vudu

While on FandangoNOW, I saw the following banner.

After clicking "Learn More", this was the popup.

with a link to this page on FandangoNOW

www.fandangonow.com/vudu

When this occurs, we will all have to ensure our collection "merges" correctly.
The following users liked this post:
BackStJoe (07-14-21)
Old 07-13-21, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: FandangoNOW is moving to Vudu

I wonder how they will be handling the FN integration that is on many Roku's today (ie the Movie and TV store is on the main menu).
Old 07-13-21, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,976 Likes on 2,829 Posts

Interesting, so I wonder if that means Roku is going to shut down the Fandango Now Movie and TV store that is built into their interface. Since Vudu already has their own separate app. There is a lot of redundancy between Vudu and FandangoNow. The only thing that makes FandangNow appealing is the ability to use the $5 reward coupon for rentals and purchases from your Fandango movie ticket purchases that you earn when you see 4 movies.
Old 07-13-21, 12:57 PM

Received 4,966 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Interesting, so I wonder if that means Roku is going to shut down the Fandango Now Movie and TV store that is built into their interface. Since Vudu already has their own separate app. There is a lot of redundancy between Vudu and FandangoNow. The only thing that makes FandangNow appealing is the ability to use the $5 reward coupon for rentals and purchases from your Fandango movie ticket purchases that you earn when you see 4 movies.
I would hope that they'd just transition to providing Vudu codes. Fandango is the parent company, so it should work out fine.

It was only a matter of time before this happened since the acquisition. I'm glad, as I have some stuff I purchased on Fandango I would much rather have on Vudu.
Old 07-13-21, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,976 Likes on 2,829 Posts

The vast majority of titles in my FandangoNow library are MA. But, I do have some old Ultra Violet titles.
Old 07-13-21, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 203 Likes on 164 Posts

I tried not to strand a lot at FN, but I do have 5-10 things that are either not on VUDU at all or not in HD on VUDU. It will be interesting to see what happens to those.
Old 07-13-21, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Finally! The Rambo 4K collection I bought for cheap on FN will soon reside with the bulk of my digital library on Vudu. (I might have a couple of other non-MA movies to migrate, too.)
Old 07-13-21, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 2,079 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Yep! Now I won't have to check every few weeks to see if my four Ip Man movies are still there ...
Old 07-14-21, 10:27 AM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow...this is an interesting turn of events. I thought for sure it would be Vudu being absorbed into FandangoNow, not the other way around. Still, I'm glad for it as generally Vudu is the interface I prefer to most others.
Old 07-14-21, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 871 Likes on 639 Posts

I'm pretty sure Vudu's sales numbers are much higher than FandangoNow's. I'm glad Vudu is taking over since I really like Vudu compared to FandangoNow.
Old 07-14-21, 08:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by BackStJoe
Wow...this is an interesting turn of events. I thought for sure it would be Vudu being absorbed into FandangoNow, not the other way around. Still, I'm glad for it as generally Vudu is the interface I prefer to most others.
Vudu is owned by Wal-Mart. There was never any discussion about FandangoNow taking over Vudu. I’m just hoping they migrate their app to Roku where FandangoNow presently is, integrated into the main menu. Guess we’ll see.
Old 07-14-21, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 871 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Vudu is owned by Wal-Mart. There was never any discussion about FandangoNow taking over Vudu. I’m just hoping they migrate their app to Roku where FandangoNow presently is, integrated into the main menu. Guess we’ll see.
Walmart sold Vudu to Fandango. There was concern that they would shut Vudu down and merge it with FandangoNow. https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/fandango-buys-vudu-walmart-1234585078

"NBCU is expected to merge the operations of Vudu and FandangoNow once the deal closes, but for now “there will be no immediate changes to either service,” according to the FAQ on Vudu’s site. Under the deal, Vudu will continue to provide the back-end infrastructure for the movie and TV sales and rentals on walmart.com."
BackStJoe (07-17-21)
Old 07-14-21, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,117 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I'm pretty sure Vudu's sales numbers are much higher than FandangoNow's. I'm glad Vudu is taking over since I really like Vudu compared to FandangoNow.
I’ve bought only MA titles from FN, and I buy all my non-MA titles on Vudu. I like the lists feature but wish they supported 4K on the PS4 Pro.

Last edited by davidh777; 07-14-21 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-15-21, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Here’s hoping that those SD-only VUDU titles that are still available and bought as such (especially those HDX-bought titles from other providers that migrated to VUDU via MA) are upgraded to HDX.

Some titles in my collection include:
The Thin Man
Gaslight
The Time Machine (1960)
Papillon (1972)
Old 07-15-21, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 319 Likes on 260 Posts

I have Fandango Gift cards which I assume I could still use to buy tickets for films I see in the theater, but it would be nice if when FN is integrated w/Vudu that any FN GCs still work on the newly merged sites. If push comes to shove and I decide not to plan on seeing any films in theaters soon, I could easily find enough FN digital content to buy now so it is available when the sites merge.
Interesting news.
Old 07-15-21, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,117 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by bacigalup
Here’s hoping that those SD-only VUDU titles that are still available and bought as such (especially those HDX-bought titles from other providers that migrated to VUDU via MA) are upgraded to HDX.

Some titles in my collection include:
The Thin Man
Gaslight
The Time Machine (1960)
Papillon (1972)
There are so many classics that I haven’t bought because of the SD issue. And because other providers have HD, it must’ve just been missed and no one noticed. Sometimes I ping their customer service with a list of titles that should be upgraded.
Old 07-15-21, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I have Fandango Gift cards which I assume I could still use to buy tickets for films I see in the theater, but it would be nice if when FN is integrated w/Vudu that any FN GCs still work on the newly merged sites. If push comes to shove and I decide not to plan on seeing any films in theaters soon, I could easily find enough FN digital content to buy now so it is available when the sites merge.
Interesting news.
You can already use Fandango gift cards on Vudu. That's been going on for a while now.
Old 07-16-21, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 927 Likes on 782 Posts

Thank goodness the core VUDU service is sticking around. I imagine they'll simply rebrand the existing VUDU site as FandangoNow with maybe a few new things.
Old 07-20-21, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I just got an email from Fandango about the move. In it, one of the reasons they give to switch over is D2D, so at least that's not going anywhere. (For the time being.)
Old 07-22-21, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 889 Likes on 403 Posts

Brent S over at MeWe compiled a list of titles that are available at a higher quality on FN than Vudu, and/or not available on Vudu. M2D is listed where applicable too.
Keep in mind, there is no telling what will happen to these titles (particularly non-MA titles) after the merge. I can verify that at least some (didn't check all) of my UHD MA titles show as UHD in Vudu too, and they are under MA Transactions as well. So, MA titles should always be UHD in your account, whether they're viewable anywhere else is another question.
If there's something you want in UHD that's not available on VUDU, might be worth a shot.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=186034420

Edit: The Vudu Catalog tool might be broken for FN, worked on VUDU. Ashley has instructions here that work: https://sites.google.com/view/digita...gonow-tracking

And run this tool on https://www.fandangonow.com/library/movies (and Library: TV Shows; and Vudu can't hurt either)
Scroll all the way to the bottom (CTRL+END, repeat) of your list until no more titles come up first then run tool. If it doesn't work, refresh the page and scroll to bottom again and re-run tool.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...gahemgmjfkdopc

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 07-22-21 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-03-21, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The website is down.

I can still get to FN via the app. Have not tried via Roku or TV yet.

App only showing library or TV titles. Can search titles. No titles have purchase option.

Seems similar to VUDU downtime on Sunday. I suspect it is merger related.

I check FN periodically as we have 3 titles I hope to get fixed (showing wrong resolution purchased or missing from library) before the merger.
Old 08-03-21, 07:01 AM

There is a banner on Vudu to "Move your Fandango account to Vudu." Simple enough to do. The verification email took a few minutes to arrive. Your account should get a 30% off discount added for merging.

Last edited by dex14; 08-03-21 at 07:08 AM.
BackStJoe (08-03-21)
Old 08-03-21, 10:15 AM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
There is a banner on Vudu to "Move your Fandango account to Vudu." Simple enough to do. The verification email took a few minutes to arrive. Your account should get a 30% off discount added for merging.
Thanks...did it.

Checked a few things as I fear another "what we lost in the fire" situation.

Haven't checked everything but so far so good...a couple of movies seem to have been upgraded to 4K, others still just HD.

A few TV shows that were on Fandango but not on Vudu (I believe) are now there; Outcast S1 (where the heck is S2 for purchase??) and Decline and Fall are now there.
Old 08-03-21, 03:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Looks like the process is mostly flawless. Took about 5 minutes to merge, and I checked some of my FandangoNow non-MA stuff like Knives Out, and it all ported through. Even Roku has been updated to show the Movies section showing Vudu. One issue though is that when I look at My Movies section from the main Roku screen, it looks like it caps off at 400 titles. I have way more than that, so we'll see how fast they address that issue. And I used my 30% coupon to pick up Godzilla vs Kong UHD for $7.99.
Old 08-03-21, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

Received 783 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Do you see that via browser or using the mobile app? I'm not seeing it, just a banner for "introducing..." and then it takes me to help which just say I can begin moving movies now, but it doesn't say how.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.