Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

FandangoNOW is moving to Vudu

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-21, 03:23 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 892 Posts
Re: FandangoNOW is moving to Vudu

my only purchase that doesn't seem to be carrying over is Uncut Gems in 4K. Hmm...
Old 08-03-21, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Great to hear! Couple of questions about the 30% off coupon: When does it expire? Can it be applied to bundles? (Just wondering when I should time my account's migration.)
Old 08-03-21, 03:30 PM

Received 543 Likes on 387 Posts

Going through some of my FN-only titles. The Illusionist, Dead & Buried, and Ginger Snaps all HDX and work fine. Honeymoon in Vegas and History of the World Part 1 both fail to work. The Burning is a poor quality Fullscreen SD version (it was HD at FN).
Old 08-03-21, 03:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Great to hear! Couple of questions about the 30% off coupon: When does it expire? Can it be applied to bundles? (Just wondering when I should time my account's migration.)
Email says it expires 8/27.

Applies to below: No bundles. Just one movie or TV episode.

Old 08-03-21, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Everything seemed to port over. I didn't have that many FN titles on Movies and TV. I think it was 10 of each that were added.

I did notice on Roku's Movie store as E-Unit mentioned that the movies list seems to cap out at 400. The Vudu app will show your actual amount.

I used the 30% off coupon on Boss Baby. It came out to like $10.49. Plus I get 1.5% back from Rakuten. There was really nothing else that screamed must own now. I've always wanted to see Boss Baby, but never got around to it and now Part 2 is on Peacock.
Old 08-03-21, 03:40 PM
Premium Member

Received 759 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Do you see that via browser or using the mobile app? I'm not seeing it, just a banner for "introducing..." and then it takes me to help which just say I can begin moving movies now, but it doesn't say how.
Edit: Never mind, just got an email with a link to do it.
Old 08-03-21, 03:42 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by DJariya
I used the 30% off coupon on Boss Baby. It came out to like $10.49. Plus I get 1.5% back from Rakuten. There was really nothing else that screamed must own now. I've always wanted to see Boss Baby, but never got around to it and now Part 2 is on Peacock.
It's a silly movie but I laughed a lot and liked it way more than I thought I would.
Old 08-03-21, 04:21 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Took over 3 hours for the process to finish. The number of movies grew by 19, although I suspect most of those were movies that I had bought at vudu in bundles, they got to FN through UV and now they're now on Vudu in two locations (in the bundle and in the main listing).

All of the movies I kept an eye on arrived (including A Kiss in the Dark which wasn't available on Vudu), but most won't play (giving either "Unable to start playback" or "Cannot play this movie on this device"). Hopefully they get fixed soon.
Old 08-03-21, 06:08 PM
Banned by request

I'm going through my movies now. I bought Fatima a while back, but now the merge apparently added another movie called Fatima. I read somewhere else duplicates are occurring. Not sure if they plan to fix them or not.

And also, I just had Alexander, but now I have The Director's Cut, The Ultimate Cut, and The Final Cut. Sheesh.
Old 08-03-21, 06:26 PM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts

FYI: Fandango Rewards now redeem on Vudu.
Old 08-03-21, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 203 Likes on 164 Posts

So I did a full check. I'm missing four. Three that aren't on there, and one they didn't convert for some reason. Also, I see some some of the HDX/SD issues mentioned earlier. I had a few things on FN watch list soley because they weren't in HD on VUDU, and that is still the case, even if they say they are HDX.

Also, I bought the Pink Panther collection on FN a few months ago when it was on sale. When I did a quick check this AM, it appeared that all of them were out there. That is not the case. "A Shot in the Dark" is not on VUDU. I did however get a SD copy of some random movie from 2005 called "A Shot in the Dark".
Old 08-03-21, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 2,015 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Thankfully I had just the four Ip Man movies, so not too much to search for. For the trouble of "migrating" I snagged Mad Max: Fury Road UHD for $6.99.
Old 08-03-21, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

I think I only had one movie on Fandango Now, Train to Busan, and it seems to have transferred over.
Old 08-03-21, 08:17 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 851 Posts

How will you know they transferred over? I may only have couple that was only redeemable there, but will thty be atop my movie list?
Old 08-03-21, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

You won't know. Unless you meticulously keep track of every title you buy and from what source. if you have like 6,000 titles and 200 came from Fandango Now, there's no way to know unless you keep track of it.
Old 08-03-21, 08:25 PM

Why wouldn’t they be first in my movies? That sucks. Seems ridiculous to not know what movies when promotions or credits or whatever transfer over and I’m sure you can see those.
Old 08-03-21, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Why wouldn’t they be first in my movies? That sucks. Seems ridiculous to not know what movies when promotions or credits or whatever transfer over and I’m sure you can see those.
It doesn't show up first, because Vudu sees them purchased by the date you purchased them on Fandango, not today.

One possible way of tracking down what you bought on Fandango is to search your emails - the emails of purchases for Fandango movies, shows and episodes that I got all had either "is ready to watch" or "isn't gonna watch itself" in the subject line. Of course, that doesn't cover movies and episodes you might have gotten via UV that somehow didn't get onto Vudu.
Old 08-03-21, 08:45 PM

Ah. Gotcha. I’m sure I deleted those emails. No biggie. One day I may find a surprise or 2, I never knew I had.
Old 08-03-21, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 203 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
So I did a full check. I'm missing four. Three that aren't on there, and one they didn't convert for some reason. Also, I see some some of the HDX/SD issues mentioned earlier. I had a few things on FN watch list soley because they weren't in HD on VUDU, and that is still the case, even if they say they are HDX.

Also, I bought the Pink Panther collection on FN a few months ago when it was on sale. When I did a quick check this AM, it appeared that all of them were out there. That is not the case. "A Shot in the Dark" is not on VUDU. I did however get a SD copy of some random movie from 2005 called "A Shot in the Dark".
Update. I did a scroll through my movies by purchase date, and three of the missing movies are listed; they just aren't searchable results on VUDU. They also aren't playable. I stuck them in a list folder so they are easier to find.

The "A Shot in the Dark" problem still exists. The Pink Panther set is listed as a set in the movies list, but if you open it up then it has the check marks on the five PP movies and that random "A Shot in the Dark" movie from 2005.
Old 08-03-21, 09:46 PM

I've got the PP set with the same problem. I checked via the Vudu App, rather than the website, and I can at least play the PP movies, which I couldn't play via the Vudu website, although I still can't play A Kiss in the Dark (it gives the error "Content Locked").
Old 08-04-21, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 366 Likes on 218 Posts

I used the 30% off coupon on Godzilla vs. Kong (4K-UHD) - $7.30vs. Kong
Old 08-04-21, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Has anybody checked their points on Disney Movie Insiders and/or Universal All-Access Rewards?

Received over 1,000 more points on both sites from the merge.

Old 08-04-21, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts

I haven't merged accounts yet (waiting till I can have time to verify some inventory discrepancies I know existed pre merge). I have been reading the posts on the VUDU forum.

Some of it doesn't seem to encouraging. There are many titles that were available in higher resolution on FB than VUDU. Some folks are reporting they still only have the lower resolution on VUDU. They've contacted customer support only to be told that unfortunately VUDU does not have the rights to provide the higher resolution. This doesn't make any sense as the way I understood it was they were merging their licenses to provide the best of both.

Another theme I am catching from those posts are titles owned on FN from studios no longer in business. The title shows in their VUDU library now yet they cannot play the title. They've contacted customer service only to be told that VUDU does not have the licenses for that content and no way to get licenses. This also doesn't make any sense as all the FAQ and notifications for the merger stated expanding the library as it would include all of both.

I do wonder if customer service is giving inaccurate responses at this point and these (and other) issues will be resolved in time. While that is my hope, I also am concerned these won't be resolved and some things will be lost (just like the other shutdowns of the past - Target Ticket, CinemaNOW, Flixster, Universal's movie site, Sony's 4K service, Paramount's movie site, UV Ultraviolet, etc).
The following 2 users liked this post by b2net:
BackStJoe (08-04-21), PhantomStranger (08-12-21)
Old 08-04-21, 09:44 AM
Banned by request

Overall, the merge went way better than what I was expecting. I'm guessing the lesser resolutions issue will be ironed out where they can. One thing I was anticipating was the non-MA movies and the few FN ones I bought. Thankfully, at least so far from what I have looked at, they all seem to be there. But I am anticipating a movie or two getting snuffed out. But I have full access again on Vudu, and I can still play movies, so I'm good.
Old 08-04-21, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Email says it expires 8/27.
Thanks! I was just wondering if I should do the transfer today or wait until I could straddle this weekend's sales with another week or two. Bummer about no bundles, but not surprising. I don't think their codes ever applied to bundles.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.