Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

PlayStation Store to discontinue movie and TV purchases and rentals

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-21, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
PlayStation Store to discontinue movie and TV purchases and rentals

I expect most people didn’t buy movies and shows on PlayStation, but they’re yanking the service. People can still watch their purchases, though. I’ve bought stuff on Xbox, but they’re MA so I can watch a lot of them elsewhere, and it sounds like PS wasn’t.

Kinda interesting that both Sony and Walmart have gotten out of the a la carte business in these days of subscription services.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03...s-and-rentals/
At SIE, we strive to provide the best entertainment experience for PlayStation fans, and that means evolving our offerings as customer needs change. We’ve seen tremendous growth from PlayStation fans using subscription-based and ad-based entertainment streaming services on our consoles. With this shift in customer behavior, we have decided to no longer offer movie and TV purchases and rentals through PlayStation Store as of August 31, 2021.

When this change takes effect, users can still access movie and TV content they have purchased through PlayStation Store for on-demand playback on their PS4, PS5 and mobile devices. We thank our fans for their continued support, and we look forward to further enhancing the entertainment experience on PlayStation.
Old 03-03-21, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: PlayStation Store to discontinue movie and TV purchases and rentals

I've only bought and rented a few movies and shows on the PS store over the years. I suppose the service just couldn't compete with the likes of Vudu, Amazon and such.

Old 03-03-21, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Digital music sell-through has been waning, with the Microsoft Store and Google Play Music closing up shop within the last few years, leaving iTunes and Amazon as the only major players there.

I imagine digital video sell-through will go through some similar consolidation in the coming years. I mean, FandangoNow and VUDU definitely have to consolidate operations at some point, right? That leaves Google Play, Amazon, and iTunes as the other major players. Niche players like the Microsoft Store will probably exit, I think.
Old 03-04-21, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

I used the Playstation store for a few rentals when I had my PS3 but as streaming platforms became more common there were better outlets for rentals and purchases.
Old 03-05-21, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
Digital music sell-through has been waning, with the Microsoft Store and Google Play Music closing up shop within the last few years, leaving iTunes and Amazon as the only major players there.

I imagine digital video sell-through will go through some similar consolidation in the coming years. I mean, FandangoNow and VUDU definitely have to consolidate operations at some point, right? That leaves Google Play, Amazon, and iTunes as the other major players. Niche players like the Microsoft Store will probably exit, I think.
I haven’t kept up with Google since they rebranded everything as YouTube. I know I bought some music over there and went through some shenanigans to keep it, but I’m sure it’s all on Spotify anyway.

There are so many differences between digital music (more mature industry, easier copying, more replayability) and video (rentability, more active participation), but a lot of the corporate owners are the same.

I’m sure Microsoft is talking about the PlayStation news among themselves. Years ago, I thought they might add a Netflix-like “free” movie service to Xbox Gold, but obviously they decided to stay a la carte.

I nearly always watch on consoles but mostly buy on Vudu unless I have points or there are deals, and preferably on MA titles.
Old 03-05-21, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

I think it was just last year (or maybe the year before) that Microsoft joined MA as well.
Old 12-05-23, 11:42 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

PlayStation owners were notified that from Dec. 31 onward, access to previously purchased Discovery Channel content would be revoked, and the content would be removed from all video libraries.
https://www.cbr.com/warner-discovery...l-playstation/
Old 12-22-23, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 437 Likes on 299 Posts

PlayStation will no longer be removing over 1,300 Discovery TV shows from its platform next month. Sony had previously announced that users will not be able to watch Discovery content on PlayStation from December 31, even if they had already purchased it.

However, the firm now says that due to an 'updated licensing agreement' with Warner Bros -- which owns the Discovery brand -- consumers will now be able to access their previously purchased shows 'for at least the next 30 months'.

"Similar to other services, we do not own the licensing rights to TV/movie content that was previously available for purchase on PlayStation Store," PlayStation stated in the update. "However, we’ve worked with Warner Bros to update our licensing agreements, ensuring that consumers will be able to access their previously purchased content for at least the next 30 months."
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/playst...hows-after-all