Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Best/Cheapest Way to Stream Sports

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-20, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Best/Cheapest Way to Stream Sports

I cut the cord a year ago. I went with Hulu+LiveTV, and I loved it. But they jacked up the price, so I switched to YouTubeTV. I loved that, too. But then THEY jacked up the price, and since there weren't any sports on at the time (due to COVID), and I rarely watched any of the other channels, I cancelled that, too.

I've been going without a TV source, which hasn't been a problem since COVID has wiped out TV production (or a large part of it).

But now sports are back, and I don't have a way to watch. I'm not willing to spend $55 or $60 just for sports. I can't afford to spend that much money on something I'll only watch once or twice a week.

So are there any other options?

I know I've used some websites in the past that were of... questionable legality. (Based outside the U.S., re-streaming programming through their website.) There were some concerns about security and whatnot, but I never had any problems with them. I can't find them now. (I always found a link that someone would post on a sports fan site, but never bookmarked them.)

What is the best/cheapest option to watch sports via streaming? I can't get over the air channels because of the geography of where I live (mountains in the way), so I have to go with cable or streaming, and cable is crazy expensive around here.

Any ideas?
Old 09-26-20, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: Best/Cheapest Way to Stream Sports

Sling TV? It's about $30 for the basic packages. However, I don't think you will be able to get the local RSN or OTA without paying more money. My brother in law uses it and he seems pleased with it. Sling mostly focuses on cable networks. I don't think they carry many OTA channels. It depends on your location. But again that's an additional cost.

https://www.sling.com/

So how are you watching network TV shows if you have no TV source? Do you just watch ad supported streams off the network website on the web?

It depends on how much TV you watch. Sports is expensive and that's why those Live TV streaming packages cost that much. If you can't afford paying $60-70/month to watch your favorite network TV shows in addition to sports, then I'm not sure what to suggest. That's pretty much the minimum you'll need to pay to get the ESPNs, TNT and maybe your RSNs along with network TV.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-26-20 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-26-20, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Find a friend or family member who will let you use those login for apps you get with normal services. Namely ESPN, Fox and CBS.

Moral grey area: find a friend or family member to split the cost of streaming service with you. Most allow several streams at once. As long as you aren't streaming crazy amounts at once, you shouldn't run into issues.
Old 09-27-20, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Sling TV? It's about $30 for the basic packages. However, I don't think you will be able to get the local RSN or OTA without paying more money. My brother in law uses it and he seems pleased with it. Sling mostly focuses on cable networks. I don't think they carry many OTA channels. It depends on your location. But again that's an additional cost.

https://www.sling.com/

So how are you watching network TV shows if you have no TV source? Do you just watch ad supported streams off the network website on the web?

It depends on how much TV you watch. Sports is expensive and that's why those Live TV streaming packages cost that much. If you can't afford paying $60-70/month to watch your favorite network TV shows in addition to sports, then I'm not sure what to suggest. That's pretty much the minimum you'll need to pay to get the ESPNs, TNT and maybe your RSNs along with network TV.
I'm not watching network TV. I can't get local channels over the air because of the geography of this area. (Mountains between me and the broadcast towers.) There's nothing on right now I want to watch other than sports, anyway.

Which is why I don't want to spend $60 a month just for an average of 2 games a week. Cable/streaming has gone way up in price over the last 2 years. WAY up.

I want local TV. I can't get it.
Old 09-27-20, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I'm not watching network TV. I can't get local channels over the air because of the geography of this area. (Mountains between me and the broadcast towers.) There's nothing on right now I want to watch other than sports, anyway.

Which is why I don't want to spend $60 a month just for an average of 2 games a week. Cable/streaming has gone way up in price over the last 2 years. WAY up.

I want local TV. I can't get it.
New network TV is starting very late this year due to Covid anyways.

Well, as I posted, you can try Sling and see if you like it. There's a free trial. It's $30/month for the really basic package. However, you won't get local FOX, NBC, CBS for NFL. And you won't get ABC for the NBA Finals. They will provide you with a free antenna. But since you said reception is terrible where you live, then obviously that won't work.
Old 09-27-20, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
New network TV is starting very late this year due to Covid anyways.

Well, as I posted, you can try Sling and see if you like it. There's a free trial. It's $30/month for the really basic package. However, you won't get local FOX, NBC, CBS for NFL. And you won't get ABC for the NBA Finals. They will provide you with a free antenna. But since you said reception is terrible where you live, then obviously that won't work.
Yeah, over the air TV is supposed to be available under FCC regulations, but it's not available because of the geography here. You'd think they would come up with a solution for people living in areas like that. (Streaming local channels available at a nominal fee, or maybe repeater towers.) But they haven't, and they probably won't.

Money's just somewhat tight, and paying that much for something I hardly ever use doesn't make sense.

Where's the a la carte option that people have been talking about for over 10 years? Pay for the channels you want, don't get the rest. It would certainly make sense for the consumer, but I guess cable/streaming companies haven't figured out how to make that work on the business end.

I'm just dying to watch football and I can't do it!
Old 09-27-20, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Since I use YouTubeTV, there's nothing I can recommend. Not only do I enjoy the sports but the Discovery shows and food shows. Plus having their app on my phone, I can watch it at work.
Old 09-27-20, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Check out locast.org. Not sure exactly where you are, but you may be eligible to pick up the L.A. Market. It's free & works with most streaming devices. It does have these annoying bumpers occasionally & when you first tune to a channel but for $5/mo you can remove them & watch unfettered.
The following users liked this post:
B5Erik (09-27-20)
Old 09-27-20, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Check out locast.org. Not sure exactly where you are, but you may be eligible to pick up the L.A. Market. It's free & works with most streaming devices. It does have these annoying bumpers occasionally & when you first tune to a channel but for $5/mo you can remove them & watch unfettered.
I did not know about locast.org - and when I did searches it didn't show up! Thanks!

This may be exactly what I was looking for!

edit to add - Wow. That's even got METV, COZI, Antenna, Grit... Excellent!
Old 10-05-20, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

We are looking to ditch U-verse because they have went up on our bill four times in this calendar year. I called last week and of course they say they cannot give me a deal or a promotion at this time. I like the looks of Sling, but when I try to pick my channels (it says on the website you can) It keeps sending me back to the front page. I am going to look around, but if I can't find something reasonable, we will ditch the TV service and keep the internet.
Old 10-05-20, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

I thought Sling had a blue package of channels and an orange package of channels. Picked one or the other or both.

Unless it's changed since the last time I was looking at it.