Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

Why does it seem like the big 3 have almost no blockbusters added on a regular basis?

Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Why does it seem like the big 3 have almost no blockbusters added on a regular basis?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-19, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

It seems that Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime don't really add blockbusters anymore like they used to. I see nothing newish and big in any of them. Not counting the Irishman because that was meant to be released through Netflix from the get-go and didn't have a general theatrical release.
Old 11-29-19, 06:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Why does it seem like the big 3 have almost no blockbusters added on a regular basis?

Any titles come to mind? I see the three releasing new blockbuster stuff all the time.
Old 11-29-19, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: Why does it seem like the big 3 have almost no blockbusters added on a regular basis?

Let's just take Netflix. The last big 2 were Black Panther and Mary Poppins from recent memory.
Old 11-29-19, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Wasn't Infinity War after BP?

Anyway, all the Disney stuff obviously went to Disney Plus, and that's where Star Wars, Marvel, and Disney will be going. I think Netflix still gets the Dreamworks animated stuff. Hulu got Missing Link. So at least for kids fare it's getting distributed. HBO Max is going to get all the DC movies and WB stuff.

It's been a long while since Netflix and the like regularly got big theatrical releases, besides the blockbuster deals they signed with some studios. For the most part, they're spending a ton of money on their original content and it's been like that for a while.
Old 11-29-19, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Netflix in particular has determined it is a better business model to produce their own content rather than continuing to pay licensing to somebody else.

It really is the same evolution that cable channels (HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc.) went through. Eventually they came back to a balance.

But yes, I agree. Finding theatrical movies on streaming is not as easy as it once was.
Old 11-29-19, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "Blockbuster"

Movie or show?

Netflix has The Irishman right now.

Amazon has the new season of Jack Ryan and The Report with Adam Driver.

Hulu and Amazon are sharing the rights to Creed II and Instant Family

and Hulu has the new season of Castle Rock, which no one is watching here.

So there's plenty of new and notable things out. I just don't what your definition of "Blockbuster" is? A budget Hollywood movie?

Old 11-29-19, 07:58 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Because many of the studios are making their own services and not licensing the streaming rights to outside services.
Old 11-29-19, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Has streaming really affected people so much that they don’t understand the term “blockbuster” anymore? Made for streaming = not a blockbuster. Series = not a blockbuster.

Although, as dex14 said, even that is going to be skewed since studios are all trying to do their own streaming. Add to that the fact that most “blockbusters” are owned by Disney ...
Old 11-29-19, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One thing I'm curious about is what happens when HBO Max debuts. Like do studios still license their content to HBO, and does that automatically get put up on Max, or only the HBO originals? Does HBO need to pay out a lot more for the rights since they would basically be using these studio's blockbusters to sell their service?
Old 11-29-19, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I remember what a big deal it was when Netflix got The Hunger Games.
Old 11-29-19, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Has streaming really affected people so much that they don’t understand the term “blockbuster” anymore?
Old 11-30-19, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
One thing I'm curious about is what happens when HBO Max debuts. Like do studios still license their content to HBO, and does that automatically get put up on Max, or only the HBO originals? Does HBO need to pay out a lot more for the rights since they would basically be using these studio's blockbusters to sell their service?
HBO Max is basically a superset of HBO GO/Now, so they already had the streaming rights to those movies. Maybe other studios may try to charge more now that there's HBO Max, but I'm pretty sure HBO was already competing with Netflix and other streaming and cable channels for movie rights.

Also, HBO is part of WarnerMedia, which includes Warner Bros studios, so even if all the other studios stop licensing, HBO will still likely get WB movies and shows.

Part of what happened with Netflix was when HBO and all the other premium channels started offering streaming, those channels wanted exclusive streaming rights, so instead of a movie being on both HBO and Netflix, it's only on Netflix now. I remember when Neftlix used to get a lot of major movies via its streaming agreement with EPIX, but when EPIX launched their own streaming app, Netflix lost those movies. Same thing is happening now with Disney moving content from Netflix to Disney+.

I also think many movies are staying rent/buy on digital for longer before being offered on a subscription service. Looking at a May weekend, most of the movies in the top 10 are still rent/buy only.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/2019W20/
https://www.justwatch.com/us

But let's go further back, to March.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekly...o_wly_table_39

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World - Hulu
A Madea Family Funeral - EPIX
Alita: Battle Angel - rent/buy
The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part - HBO GO/Now
Green Book - rent/buy
Fighting with My Family - EPIX
Greta - HBO GO/Now
Isn't It Romantic - HBO GO/Now
What Men Want - EPIX
Happy Death Day 2U - HBO GO/Now
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - Netflix
A Star Is Born- HBO GO/Now

Netflix has only one movie of the top 12 that week in its lineup currently. Surprisingly, two of those movies are just rent/buy. I'm not sure if they already came and went on a streaming service or cable channel, or just haven't premiered on one yet.
Old 11-30-19, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Basically all the studios have their own streaming services now so it's all super fragmented.
Old 12-01-19, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Basically all the studios have their own streaming services now so it's all super fragmented.
yes, and this
Old 12-05-19, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Because many of the studios are making their own services and not licensing the streaming rights to outside services.
Correct. All these apps are going to be about original programming in the future (if they're not already). Licensing will play less and less of a role as all these various studios launch their own streaming apps. Any licensing deals will likely be for older stuff that the studios can afford to let go for a period and/or that the service they're licensing to will be okay with it not being "exclusive" to their platform.
Old 12-05-19, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
It seems that Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime don't really add blockbusters anymore like they used to. I see nothing newish and big in any of them. Not counting the Irishman because that was meant to be released through Netflix from the get-go and didn't have a general theatrical release.
I'm with you on this sentiment... while there is plenty of great original content, why in the world isn't a movie like Hobbs & Shaw streaming on Netflix right away? I know they can't secure every single new movie --- but a "good" hit on Netflix would go a long way in my book.
Old 12-05-19, 08:27 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I'm with you on this sentiment... while there is plenty of great original content, why in the world isn't a movie like Hobbs & Shaw streaming on Netflix right away? I know they can't secure every single new movie --- but a "good" hit on Netflix would go a long way in my book.
Because Universal will more than likely put it on their own service when it comes out. Netflix is busy trying to create their own hits, not buying streaming rights to other people's. They want you to come and watch 6 Underground if you're looking for something like Hobbs & Shaw.

Last edited by dex14; 12-05-19 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-05-19, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rob V
Did Netflix ever get a movie right when it was released on home media? I thought there was always a few months delay to allow for media/digital sales.

Even so, if you weren't a Netflix subscriber, would you subscribe just for Hobbs and Shaw? Or maybe a better question, how many people subscribe to HBO mainly for the movies that they get rights to as opposed to their original content? Though like I said before, if Max gets whatever HBO is getting in terms of movies we might come full circle and that will be a big draw.
Old 12-05-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, also Netflix wants to be a replacement for Cable, not a replacement for HBO.

And that's fine, but it definitely prevents them from getting big hits most of the time.

I actually think Hulu may start getting some newer movies due to how much influence FX/FXX seems to be getting to have on it (and if ads are to be believed, FX has the movies.)
Old 12-05-19, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Has streaming really affected people so much that they don’t understand the term “blockbuster” anymore? Made for streaming = not a blockbuster. Series = not a blockbuster.
I get what you're saying, but honestly in this day and age The Boys or Stranger Things (season 3) are bigger "blockbusters" than, say, Hobbes & Shaw or Hustlers.

And rightfully so.
Old 12-05-19, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Did Netflix ever get a movie right when it was released on home media? I thought there was always a few months delay to allow for media/digital sales.
I guess that's kinda my point... I wish they did. They're certainly delving into that world (Irishman) and have purchased lots of content that should have hit theaters but most are misses.