Reload this Page >

Rant: Finding a streaming TV service is such a PITA

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Rant: Finding a streaming TV service is such a PITA

Old 11-14-19, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Rant: Finding a streaming TV service is such a PITA

I am disappointed I didn't realize YouTube TV doesn't have DD 5.1 sound. What the hell is this, 1995?
Old 11-25-19, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 188 Likes on 126 Posts

I also only have a set of powerful cerwin vega home speakers that I've been using for the last 16 years (2 channel setup only obviously) so I'm good to go there as well - I just cancelled it though, I just don't use tv apps that much and it's not worth paying the monthly amount for the limited amount of channels I do watch - I'm an ESPN plus subscriber to get my UFC\MMA fix and I can watch all MMA broadcasts through the app instead of needing the ESPN channels.

I will miss the Yankees YES network but I'll live.
Old 12-04-20, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is like a year bump. I "re-negotiated" my comcast bill today. Bill dropped $45 and lost HBO, Shotime, Epix, HITZ. Now that they dropped STARZ and Cinemax in the past two years regardless if I watched them or not.

So here I am wondering if I should cut the cord and look into a streaming service. I watch sports, but not as much as I used to. What I keep finding is by the time I add a streaming service I'm back to where I am just about. Just internet is nearly $100/mo for 250 down.

Any updates on services since a year ago?

Old 12-04-20, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by kantonburg
I know this is like a year bump. I "re-negotiated" my comcast bill today. Bill dropped $45 and lost HBO, Shotime, Epix, HITZ. Now that they dropped STARZ and Cinemax in the past two years regardless if I watched them or not.

So here I am wondering if I should cut the cord and look into a streaming service. I watch sports, but not as much as I used to. What I keep finding is by the time I add a streaming service I'm back to where I am just about. Just internet is nearly $100/mo for 250 down.

Any updates on services since a year ago?
​​​​​
Pluto TV offers over 100 channels for free. If possible, install an antenna to get your sports fix. Just not a real big believer in paying subscription fees for mediocre entertainment offerings.

Last edited by ddrknghtrtns; 12-05-20 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-04-20, 11:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

And 3-5 of those channels are worth watching.

Sling has some decent packages, and it looks like Fubo is trying to beef up their offerings as well. Or just go with Hulu and get pretty much everything.
Old 12-05-20, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by E Unit
And 3-5 of those channels are worth watching.

Sling has some decent packages, and it looks like Fubo is trying to beef up their offerings as well. Or just go with Hulu and get pretty much everything.
That is my delima. it's $64.99/mo for nothing extra I have now. I'm trying to figure out where this would all be cheaper. Am I missing something?
Old 12-05-20, 04:23 PM
Banned by request

Not at all. We’re in the middle of networks and studios trying to figure out how to sell their properties for maximum profit. The latest is the Discovery Networks now starting their own service. No word on what will happen with their live channels on existing streaming services like Hulu and Sling. This won’t stabilize for a few years I’m sure.
Old 12-05-20, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not at all. Were in the middle of networks and studios trying to figure out how to maximize and sell their properties for maximum profit. The latest is the Discovery Networks now starting their own service. No word on what will happen with their live channels on existing streaming services like Hulu and Sling. This wont stabilize for a few years Im sure.
Thanks. It looks like I'll stick around with cable for awhile. My neighbor has had YouTube TV for awhile with DSL. He didn't know his speeds. We were watching college football earlier today and it looked smooth.
Old 12-05-20, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Honestly, there isnt a ton of savings, if any, in cutting the cord vs a cable package (assuming you are still wanting to keep a similar suite of traditional channels).

The biggest benefit is the freedom to try services and not be tied to a single sub.
Old 12-05-20, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Choosing Hulu Live over Wave Broadband cable was very beneficial for me. I was a Wave cable subscriber from 2010-2019. Made the switch to Hulu Live in August 2019 and never regretted it. The best value for me is the Hulu on-demand library and included DVR. Wave on-demand is horrible and I cannot fathom paying for a DVR ever again.

I only truly lost MTV and Comedy Central, but I only watched Jersey Shore and Tosh.0 on those channels. And I wouldn't really call that must-see TV, so I was willing to give those up.

Old 12-05-20, 07:27 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
I only truly lost MTV and Comedy Central, but I only watched Jersey Shore and Tosh.0 on those channels. And I wouldn't really call that must-see TV, so I was willing to give those up.
If you use a Roku, the Roku live channels have MTV channels and Comedy Central.
Old 12-05-20, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

If you use a Roku, the Roku live channels have MTV channels and Comedy Central.
I use Firestick, but that is still some helpful info. Thanks!
Old 12-06-20, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by thematahara
Honestly, there isnt a ton of savings, if any, in cutting the cord vs a cable package (assuming you are still wanting to keep a similar suite of traditional channels).

The biggest benefit is the freedom to try services and not be tied to a single sub.
I would argue there is a cost savings if you "share" services.