Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

What new streaming service will you consider subscribing to in 2019?

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio
View Poll Results: Which new streaming service will you consider subscribing to in 2019?
Disney+
58.70%
WarnerMedia
17.39%
The Criterion Channel
19.57%
Wait and see first for content announcements
17.39%
None - There's too many and I don't have the time or money
26.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

What new streaming service will you consider subscribing to in 2019?

Old 03-13-19, 12:55 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: What new streaming service will you consider subscribing to in 2019?

Will likely try out The Criterion Channel
Old 03-13-19, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

^Do it now, as you'll get the free movie of the week, until launch, and you'll also (I think?) still qualify for discounted rates.
Old 03-15-19, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

$60 for Prime Student and Amazon Prime a year.
$60 a year for Spotify Premium + Hulu Commercials + Showtime
Free Netflix through T-Mobile.

I'll subscribe for a month at a time. There's many Disney properties I want to watch, and I'll pay a month just to see Salo.
Old 11-11-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,635 Likes on 2,608 Posts

Disney + launches in less than 24 hours.

Funny how I created this thread almost 9 months ago and so many according to this initial poll changed their minds and are now getting Disney +.

I guess you can change your mind after being reactive with a stubborn No and then hearing announcements and then feeling left out if you don't join.
Old 11-11-19, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I'm only considering D+ because it's cheap. I still don't have the time.
Old 11-11-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I went for Criterion, CBS Access, Apple TV+, and Disney+.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 11-11-19 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-11-19, 05:06 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

We signed up for the 3-year prepay with Disney+ for $152.28 for 3 years, or $50.76/year or $4.23/month.

We've had Hulu (Limited Commercials) for $1/month since last year's Black Friday special, so it goes up to $7.99/month on November 24.

We've had Netflix standard HD (2 simultaneous streams) for free since switching to T-Mobile in 2018.

And we have Amazon Prime for $119 or $12.99/month.

That means in 2020, we'll be "paying" just over $25/month for four great services alongside a great OTA antenna for local shows. If we had more time in our lives, we might give CBS Access or HBO Go a try, but I think we're good.
Old 11-11-19, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 430 Likes on 295 Posts

Disney+, Apple TV+, YouTube TV, Amazon Video... Netflix is on the chopping block.
Old 11-11-19, 09:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

We chopped them last month. More than enough on those services you called out. Unless they do some major re-pricing, I have no more interest in what they have to offer. We even did the free time with Apple + and binged Snoopy and The Morning Show. That was enough. Now time to binge in the countless stuff Disney has to offer.
Old 11-11-19, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by E Unit
We chopped them last month. More than enough on those services you called out. Unless they do some major re-pricing, I have no more interest in what they have to offer. We even did the free time with Apple + and binged Snoopy and The Morning Show. That was enough. Now time to binge in the countless stuff Disney has to offer.
Seems like you've really soured on Netflix. Is it the pricing? Too expensive for the amount of time you spend on it?
Old 11-11-19, 09:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

The whole premium extra charge for 4K is what did it for me. My kids used it most and all they watched was various cartoon shows. But they would rather watch Disney stuff. Me and my wife watched just about everything we knew about and wanted to watch, so we really have no reason for it. I know at one point in the future when some of the shows we like have new seasons, then we’ll do a month and watch. But Netflix has run my patience, so for now I’m done.

I think/hope IF they lose even a small percentage of subscriptions, it’ll get them to reconsider how they’re pricing right now. And I know Disney prices will go up at some point, but for 3 years it won’t be an issue for a lot of us. Netflix keeps upping their charge. Netflix I’m sure won’t guarantee one set price for 3 years.
Old 11-13-19, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 430 Likes on 295 Posts

I've gone weeks without even launching Netflix the last few months. I'll re-subscribe for stuff like Stranger Things but it'll be one month and out, like I did with GoT/HBO. Hate the UI... Autoplay previews w/sound, and even thou the addition of the menu on the left hand side was a good thing... when you miss that last show before it loops and can't scroll back left to get it... grrr) The upcharge for 4K (I see this dying with Disney+'s arrival) is ridiculous in 2019.

I've picked up most of the TV series I watch on iTunes or VUDU but most are getting pulled off anyways (Office/Friends). Only ones I watch are the Star Trek shows (on Amazon Video and I'm probably picking up CBS AA for Picard) and Monty Python (but a certain Norwegian Bluray Edition has made the Netflix versions old news.)

Anyone who's dropped Netflix and come back months/years later... do they save your viewing history?
Old 11-13-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I have added the Criterion Channel in August and got the Disney+ so I'm thinking of unsubscribing a few services right now.

I'm currently subscribed to the following:
1) Netflix
2) Prime Video
3) DAZN
4) Crunchyroll
5) The Criterion Channel
6) Disney+

I think I'm going to let go of Crunchyroll as I'm not watching it as much as I did initially. I signed up because of Detective Conan and binge watch most of the episodes and now just watch it when it's released weekly. I was able to watch Naruto, Lupin The Third and Bleach but I don't think I get the same value anymore.

I want to cut Netflix but I don't think my daughter will be too happy about that so I'll wait and see.

If they increase the yearly price for DAZN, I'm cutting that too even though I'll miss the NFL Sunday Ticket and the EPL.
Old 11-13-19, 07:28 PM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I think I'm going to let go of Crunchyroll as I'm not watching it as much as I did initially. I signed up because of Detective Conan and binge watch most of the episodes and now just watch it when it's released weekly. I was able to watch Naruto, Lupin The Third and Bleach but I don't think I get the same value anymore.
If you're subscribing to Crunchyroll, I'd suggest switching to VRV.

I know it sounds ridiculous since you're thinking of dropping CR. But it's only $2 more ($9.99/month). And you get so much more content. HiDive almost doubles the anime shows/movies. Boomerang has classic American cartoons. There's some cool movies from MST3K, Shout Factory and all kinds of misc stuff. Plus you can also use your VRV account to access Crunchyroll as a Premium Member.

https://vrv.co/
Old 11-13-19, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk God

If Disney continues to add more bonus features to their movies on their service and more 4K content, this will be a physical media killer for Disney. Who’s going to want to buy $20 to 25 dvds and Blu-ray’s when they are all here with extras as well.
Old 11-15-19, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
If you're subscribing to Crunchyroll, I'd suggest switching to VRV.

I know it sounds ridiculous since you're thinking of dropping CR. But it's only $2 more ($9.99/month). And you get so much more content. HiDive almost doubles the anime shows/movies. Boomerang has classic American cartoons. There's some cool movies from MST3K, Shout Factory and all kinds of misc stuff. Plus you can also use your VRV account to access Crunchyroll as a Premium Member.

https://vrv.co/
Thank you for the suggestion but this option is not available to me because Im in Canada.
Old 11-22-19, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
If Disney continues to add more bonus features to their movies on their service and more 4K content, this will be a physical media killer for Disney. Whos going to want to buy $20 to 25 dvds and Blu-rays when they are all here with extras as well.
That is Disney's goal. Converting the Disney collectors to streaming subscribers. They know a few diehards won't cave, but don't really care.
Old 11-29-19, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,799 Likes on 1,124 Posts

I still can't help but feel Hulu and Netflix are the basic services to have and ALL the others are "Luxuries" to build with. To get rid of either seems weird to me. When I told my wife I was thinking of Disney+ the first thing she said was, "What streaming are we getting rid of then". I was... wait, what?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-03-19 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-29-19, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk God

I have no plans to get rid of either. I have both. I realize it does get expensive and time consuming holding on to too many. But, even though Netflix has gotten a little more expensive in recent years, it's still a good deal for entertainment and has a very eclectic mix of genres.

Hulu is still very good if you're behind or want to catch up on current TV.