Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio
Old 01-01-24, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheBang
What's New each month on Peacock:
https://www.peacocktv.com/collections/new-on-peacock

Leaving Peacock this month:
https://www.peacocktv.com/collections/leaving-peacock

These lists are updated on the 1st of each month.
Print Wikipost

Peacock -- NBC Universal streaming service

Old 07-10-20, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: Peacock -- NBC Universal streaming service

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/09/nbcu...-15-debut.html

Chances of reaching a deal with Roku and Amazon "less than 10%"
Chances of me signing up 0%
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (07-10-20)
Old 07-10-20, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Why has Roku become everyone's Bitch?
Old 07-10-20, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Will there be PS4 or Xbox app?

I am trying to decide if I should sign up or not. I wish I knew how disruptive the commercials were. Asking for $80 up front when we have like no idea what will be on their service is a kind of big ask.
Old 07-10-20, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

I am trying to decide if I should sign up or not. I wish I knew how disruptive the commercials were. Asking for $80 up front when we have like no idea what will be on their service is a kind of big ask.

What devices can I stream it on?

For now the "sneak peek" version of Peacock is only available to stream through Comcast's own platforms. That means Xfinity X1 cable customers and Flex streaming customers can watch Peacock on TVs through their X1 box or Flex streaming box.

For the nationwide launch in July, so far Peacock has confirmed support on:
  • Apple devices: You'll be able to stream the service on apps for the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD. You'll be able to sign up for Peacock or upgrade your membership with in-app purchases too. And Apple will also integrate Peacock into its own TV app, which allows you to congregate certain streaming channels together to watch them in one place.
  • Google devices: Peacock will have support on Google platforms and devices including Android phones and tablets, and Android TV devices, Chromecast and Chromecast built-in devices. People who sign up through Android and Android TV also get free access to Peacock Premium until Oct. 15; after that trial period ends, Peacock Premium costs $4.99 per month with ads or $9.99 a month ad-free.
  • Xbox One consoles: Microsoft's Xbox One family of devices, including Xbox One S and Xbox One X, will have an app for Peacock, and the service itself will be available for download through the Microsoft Store. You can also sign up for or upgrade Peach directly within the Peacock app on Xbox devices using in-app purchase.
  • Vizio SmartCast TVs
  • LG Smart TVs

Old 07-10-20, 08:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Same here.
Old 07-10-20, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Me too. Some of their content looks pretty good but all these late arrival streamers missed the boat for me. Netflix and Prime have more content then I need even with staying home more. Add in the occasional Disney+ sub for new seasons of Mandalorian and I’m set. I refuse to let my programming bill start approaching what I used to overpay for cable.
Old 07-11-20, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth
I refuse to let my programming bill start approaching what I used to overpay for cable.
There is a free tier with less content and less next day streaming.

Yes, free as in $0.

Even if you pay $30 for the year, you’ll still get ads so the only incentive to pay that is the added content and unrestricted next day streaming of Comcast owned channel programs.

I’m doing the free tier unless someone confirms that Psych The Movie: Lassie Come Home actually requires payment.
Old 07-12-20, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,455 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth
Me too. Some of their content looks pretty good but all these late arrival streamers missed the boat for me. Netflix and Prime have more content then I need even with staying home more. Add in the occasional Disney+ sub for new seasons of Mandalorian and I’m set. I refuse to let my programming bill start approaching what I used to overpay for cable.
You're right. Netflix has the head start on programming and Prime (despite being terrible as a standalone video service) is basically just an add on to the free two day shipping. Both take priority over any of these new services. Add in if you really like a niche like anime, you'll probably subscribe to a niche service. These are broader but there's only so much time to watch stuff and if you're satisfied with what you are already paying for, it's a tough sell to pay for more or even to bother rotating things in and out.
Old 07-12-20, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig
You're right. Netflix has the head start on programming and Prime (despite being terrible as a standalone video service) is basically just an add on to the free two day shipping. Both take priority over any of these new services. Add in if you really like a niche like anime, you'll probably subscribe to a niche service. These are broader but there's only so much time to watch stuff and if you're satisfied with what you are already paying for, it's a tough sell to pay for more or even to bother rotating things in and out.
A good friend of mine loves TV just as much as me. However, he struggles to keep up with everything. In addition to his cable subscription with Spectrum, he has Netflix, Disney +, Hulu and Prime. And he also has HBO Max now. He didn't bother with DC Universe because he's so overwhelmed and can't keep up. I don't know if he has any interest in Peacock even though he's a big NBC watcher.

I understand the feeling. There's only so much time in the day to watch TV and stream and it's simply not possible to keep up with everything no matter how great the service looks or how great the content looks. If you don't have the time, then it's a waste of money. Most of you guys have families and full-time jobs, thus you simply don't have the time or disposable income to invest in every cool streaming service.
Old 07-14-20, 04:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
PS4 app available on July 20th according to this article: https://www.engadget.com/nbc-peacock...142144420.html

"Beginning July 20th, Peacock will be available on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 4 Pro. Users will have access to the free, $5 and $10 subscription tiers, and Peacock will curate a row featuring available content."
Old 07-15-20, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Peacock is now live! I signed in on my Apple TV 4K with no troubles.

It's a mix of Live TV and VOD content including movies. There's quite a bit of stuff. Lots of old NBC, USA and other NBC owned cable shows along with classic shows. Even some Showtime series on there.

OG Law and Order is on there (it's never had a streaming deal), but only seasons 13-20 right now. I assume it has to do with current licensing deals.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-15-20 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-15-20, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk God

So according to Deadline, this is what you can currently watch on the free ad supported tier:

FREE TIER

The movie library includes The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Ultimatum, Jurassic Park, Jurassic Park III, Tully, Phantom Thread, The Interpreter, American Psycho, The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions, The Blair Witch Project, The Mummy, Joe, Fletch, Fletch Lives, The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury, Fear, Psycho, Do the Right Thing, Howard the Duck, Billy Elliot, The Birds, Willie, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, The Last House On The Left, I Am Ali, In The Name of the Father, Lone Ranger, The Hitcher, Law Abiding Citizen, The Sting, What Dreams May Come, Fried Green Tomatoes, One True Thing, Gosford Park, Dracula and Dragnet.

Episodic fare includes NBC shows like This Is Us and The Blacklist as well as comedies like 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, Saturday Night Live, Saved by the Bell, Punky Brewster, The Johnny Carson Show, The Carol Burnett Show, Real Husbands of Hollywood and Everybody Hates Chris.

Dramas include Friday Night Lights, Downton Abbey, Parenthood, Monk, Heroes, Psych, The Game, Suits, Sacred Lies, Royal Pains, Battlestar Galactica, Columbo, Hunter, The Rockford Files, Dateline, 21 Jump Street, Highlander, Leave It To Beaver, Munsters and Murder She Wrote.

Reality series like Below Deck, Southern Charm, Chrisley Knows Best, Botched, Flipping Out, Million Dollar Listing New York, Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, Real Housewives of Dallas, Jay Leno’s Garage, Shahs of Sunset and Undercover Boss are in the mix. The competition roster includes series like Top Chef Masters, Hell’s Kitchen, Hollywood Game Nightand American Ninja Warrior Jr. Kids series include Kong, The Animated Series, Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures, Fievel’s American Tails and Woody Woodpecker. Among the Spanish-language titles are Betty en NY, I Love Jenni, Reina De Corazones, The Riveras, Preso No. 1, Caso Cerrado, El Baron, El Chema, Larrymania, Perro Amor, Mi Familia Perfecta, Quien es Quien, Victoria and Donde Esta Elisa.

Live sports in the free tier include four exclusive Premier League matches on Peacock launch day, coverage of the U.S. Open Championship and Women’s Open Championships. In 2021, an NFL Wild Card Playoff Game and select events from the upcoming Tokyo Olympics are in the offing. Also on tap are on-demand replays of events like Triple Crown horse races, daily highlights from NBC Sports, and hundreds of hours of sports series, documentaries and films such as Tiger Woods Chasing History, 1968, I Am Ali, Dream Team, Being Evel, Feherty, Willie, and Peacock Originals Lost Speedways and In Deep with Ryan Lochte.

I have the $80 ad free promo tier and this is what you get added in addition for either that or the cheaper ad supported tier:

You do not get any of the new Peacock originals in the free tier.

PREMIUM TIER

Peacock Originals are one of the main draws of Premium, with shows including Brave New World, The Capture, Intelligence, Psych 2: Lassie Come Home, DreamWorks Where’s Waldo?, DreamWorks Cleopatra In Space and Curious George. All library series can also be accessed, including Two and a Half Men, Everybody Loves Raymond, George Lopez, Jeff Foxworthy Show, King of Queens, Superstore, Frasier, Cheers, House, The Affair, Yellowstone, Law & Order, Law & Order: SVU, Ray Donovan, Swedish Dicks and American Ninja Warrior; kids series including DreamWorks Dragons: Riders of Berk, Care Bears and Care Bears: Welcome to Care-a-Lot.

Movies include Shrek, Lone Survivor, Ted, Identity Thief, Children of Men, Charlie Wilson’s War, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Frankenstein, Kicking and Screaming, Larry Crowne and You, Me & Dupree.

NBC shows offered the day after their linear premieres include America’s Got Talent, Blindspot, Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist, A Little Late with Lilly Singh, Saturday Night Live, Superstore, Law & Order: SVU, Chicago P.D., Chicago Fire, Chicago Med, New Amsterdam, Manifest, The Titan Games, Hollywood Game Night, World of Dance, The Kelly Clarkson Show, Access Hollywood, Days of Our Lives, Dateline, NBC Nightly News and Meet the Press, and Telemundo series including 100 Días Para Enamorarnos, Celia, Cennet, Enemigo Intimo, La Doña, Minuto Para Ganar and Noticias Telemundo.

Late Night With Seth Meyersand The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon will hit the platform at 8PM ET.

Sports offerings on Peacock Premium will also range from soccer to cycling to wrestling. There will be 175 exclusive Premier League matches shown during the 2020-2021 season. Also scheduled is coverage of elite cycling events like the Tour De France from August 29 to September 20, and La Vuelta from October 20 to November 8. More than 100 hours of WWE content will head to Peacock in August, including series WWE Untold and Steve Austin’s Broken Skull Sessions,and compilations like John Cena’s Best WrestleMania Matches.
Old 07-15-20, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk God

I spent about an hour going through the curation of content and it’s pretty good to start out.

HBO Max has an edge because it has a much stronger curation of movies. But this one also includes live TV and will include live sports starting today. So it’s a pretty good start. I just don’t know if I have enough time in the day to really maximize it. I’ll try though.

Well the live TV section is mostly focused on NBCUniversal content. There’s actually a live The Office channel that shows shorts.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-15-20 at 03:43 AM.
Old 07-15-20, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

I have Samsung and Roku and neither have Peacock at this time (or the time I left the house, about 2 hours ago).
Old 07-15-20, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Does the free tier include shows like SNL (and I know it's on break right now) or whatever the day after their airings like the shows locked in the premium tier?
Old 07-15-20, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Do they have all episodes of SNL?

Old 07-15-20, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Does it have 4K?
Old 07-15-20, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Does the free tier include shows like SNL (and I know it's on break right now) or whatever the day after their airings like the shows locked in the premium tier?
See my list above.

I just did a check and season 40 and onwards seems to be full seasons. They have select episodes from some older seasons.
Old 07-15-20, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Does it have 4K?
No 4K yet
Old 07-15-20, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

See my list above.

I just did a check and season 40 and onwards seems to be full seasons. They have select episodes from some older seasons.
I was more wondering if they are delayed seasons like most other services or day after like their premium tier.

For instance, Disney+ has a bunch of shows airing on the Disney channel but they are (intentionally) a season behind.
Old 07-15-20, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk God

I was more wondering if they are delayed seasons like most other services or day after like their premium tier.

For instance, Disney+ has a bunch of shows airing on the Disney channel but they are (intentionally) a season behind.
it goes up to the last SNL at home show that aired.
Old 07-15-20, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I’m really only interested in their new originals like Brave New World and Dr Death. I read that they won’t be part of any free version. However, i also read that at first they will be releasing entire seasons all at once so I guess I could sign up and binge for a month then drop it. The article stated new shows released later will go to a weekly format.
Old 07-15-20, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

The live stream for soccer is pretty good. Very smooth.
Old 07-15-20, 02:42 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

No 4K yet
No surround sound on my Nvidia Shield either.

So all these shows that were available in surround from other streaming services now aren't.
Old 07-15-20, 05:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I found this article helpful in shedding some light on the Roku and Amazon Fire TV situation:

Why Peacock and HBO Max aren’t on the biggest streaming platforms
Ongoing disputes over advertisements and data
By Julia Alexander Jul 15, 2020, 4:27pm EDT

https://www.theverge.com/21324139/pe...l-disney-apple

Spoiler:
If a streaming service launches, but it’s not available on Roku or Fire TV, does it really launch at all?

Technically, yes — but not for a large percentage of the United States streaming market that uses Roku and Amazon Fire TV products to stream their entertainment. Backroom negotiations between media conglomerates and tech giants have kept some of the biggest streaming services from landing on these platforms. WarnerMedia’s HBO Max is still missing both Roku and Fire TV apps, and this week, NBCUniversal’s Peacock launched without them as well.

This means tens of millions of people are likely left confused about why they can’t stream these services on their core devices in their living room. It’s also a massive number of people that companies like NBCUniversal and WarnerMedia can’t reach. If early growth and scaling are instrumental to new service succeeding, not being on Roku or Amazon is more than just a little sting.

“Yes, the streaming service launched, but is it going to be as successful without being there? No way,” Rich Greenfield, a senior media analyst and partner at LightShed Partners, told The Verge. “The question to me is whether there’s content coming that’s so important that it will drive people to switch devices if they don’t have access to those apps on a certain device.”

Peacock and HBO Max are available on a variety of other smart devices, like smart TVs, PlayStation and Xbox consoles, Chromecast sticks, and Apple TV set-top boxes, Greenfield notes. But that doesn’t take away from Roku and Amazon’s collective power.

Roku commands 44 percent of viewing time in the United States, according to research released earlier this year by Conviva, and Amazon Fire TV maintains about 19 percent of viewing time. Roku and Amazon both claim to have close to or more than 40 million customers using their devices. They’re only getting bigger.

The roadblock, like so many debates in the tech and media space, comes down to money and data. Essentially, both NBCUniversal (owned by Comcast) and WarnerMedia (owned by AT&T) want more control over user data and advertising generated by their apps. That requires either not going the traditional deal path with a company like Amazon or fighting over advertising shares with Roku.

In Roku’s case, the holdup comes down to two revenue portals: the cut that Roku takes from signups and something referred to as ad inventory. The first one is simple enough. Roku reportedly takes 20 percent of signup fees; Apple does a similar thing, taking 30 percent of signup fees from developers in the App Store. The second one, ad inventory, means that Roku takes a percentage of ads that comes through the app. On Roku’s website, the company states that a channel controls 70 percent of its ad inventory, with Roku controlling 30 percent.

For a more niche app, the ad inventory cut might be worth the payoff of being available on Roku and having access to its nearly 40 million customers. That’s not the case with major players like NBCUniversal and WarnerMedia, though. NBCUniversal’s team doesn’t want to give up such a substantial cut of ads, with negotiations “centered around a number closer to 15 percent,” according to CNBC. NBCUniversal is also “hesitant about connecting Peacock with third-party ad tech software it can’t control,” according to CNBC, which is an equally big deal. NBCUniversal built an entirely new form of advertising tech explicitly for Peacock. This helps the company track user data, sell more hyper-targeted ads, and increase overall revenue.

What ends up developing is a stalemate. These are common in carriage deals — fights between cable providers and networks that can lead to “blackout” periods where content doesn’t air while negotiations are ongoing. For a long time, the networks had the upper hand, but in the new streaming world, the largest aggregators have an advantage. Yes, they want HBO Max and Peacock on their platforms; not having them can push consumers to other devices. But executives know that, for the content providers, not being on Roku is a growth inhibitor.

“We’re an essential partner for any streaming service trying to build an audience in the United States,” Roku CEO Anthony Wood said during an earnings call in February.

Then there’s Amazon. People can stream everything from Netflix and Disney Plus to CBS All Access and Showtime via Amazon Fire TV. Some apps, like CBS All Access and Starz, are also available through Amazon Channels, which lets you subscribe through Amazon and then stream on Fire TV and other devices. But services like Disney Plus completely bypass Amazon Channels. So while it’s available to stream, it’s a completely separate app that isn’t part of Amazon’s bigger Channels ecosystem.

Why does that matter? Channels is a lucrative business for Amazon, and it also gives Amazon more control over the streaming experience and valuable customer data that can then be used for hyper-targeted recommendations and ads. Amazon is also believed to take anywhere from 15 to 45 percent of the subscription fee, according to Variety. Amazon wants to have streaming services like HBO Max and Peacock on Fire TV devices, but it reportedly wants them within Channels.

WarnerMedia and NBCUniversal don’t want to be part of the Amazon Channels ecosystem and give up a cut of their subscription fees, but they do want to be on Fire TV devices. Now, they’re in the process of trying to create more favorable deals. One example of what it could look like is what WarnerMedia was able to do with Apple. Prior to HBO Max’s launch, WarnerMedia and Apple struck a new deal that removed HBO from Apple TV Channels and launched HBO Max as its own app. Compromises were made. Apple lost access to HBO in its Channels section and some of that data, but it was able to offer HBO Max; WarnerMedia could offer HBO Max to Apple customers while maintaining control over the streaming experience and access to user data.

Disney Plus is the only streamer so far that’s been allowed to bypass Amazon’s Channels ecosystem and still stream on Amazon Fire TV devices. Right before Disney Plus’ launch in November, Disney and Amazon came to the kind of agreement that NBCUniversal and WarnerMedia seem to be looking for: Disney Plus could stream on all Amazon Fire TV devices but retain the luxury of not being a part of the Channels ecosystem. Disney would benefit from the additional signups and still ensure they had full control over the viewing experience and user data.

Why HBO Max and Peacock can’t get a similar deal is a question executives seem to be asking. When asked about HBO Max’s placement on platforms like Roku and Amazon, Tony Goncalves, the head of HBO Max, told The Verge in May that “we just want to be treated fairly.”

“Disney Plus and Netflix and Hulu and these other apps are on those platforms,” Goncalves said. “There’s a certain business model that exists. We just want the same one.”

The bottom line is that while media conglomerates like NBCUniversal and WarnerMedia try to negotiate with powerful streaming aggregators like Roku and Amazon, it’s us, the consumers, who miss out. A new streaming service could have the next great piece of entertainment. But if people can’t access it, does any of it matter?

“Everyone likes to talk about the streaming wars being Disney versus Netflix,” Greenfield said. “But the reality is there’s 100 channels on cable television that have flourished and been successful. If you’re not on these devices, it’s a problem.”

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.