Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

HD here but UHD there

Old 03-01-18, 04:49 PM
Banned - I'm a Racist

HD here but UHD there

Ok so why are some titles in HDX on Vudu but UHD in Apple TV? For example, I purchased Justice league and Murder on orient express they are both HDX on Vudu but UHD in Apple TV. What gives. Why the difference if not sources are able to display UHD?
Old 03-01-18, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: HD here but UHD there

Originally Posted by ManfromCyrodiil View Post
Ok so why are some titles in HDX on Vudu but UHD in Apple TV? For example, I purchased Justice league and Murder on orient express they are both HDX on Vudu but UHD in Apple TV. What gives. Why the difference if not sources are able to display UHD?
Apparently each provider has to negotiate for UHD rights. VUDU hasn't gone out of their way licensing UHD rights for many, many movies.
Old 03-01-18, 04:55 PM
Banned - I'm a Racist

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Apparently each provider has to negotiate for UHD rights. VUDU hasn't gone out of their way licensing UHD rights for many, many movies.
Ok. Makes sense I guess. I have both systems so itís not too frustrating but I can see other people mad when they buy codes From 4K movies
Old 03-01-18, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And some titles are SD on one service but HDX on others. It’s frustrating, but that’s the way it is in the digital movie services world right now. Maybe MA can level set a lot of it.
Old 03-17-18, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
And when they do, sometimes they wonít recognize movies redeemed on services like iTunes, and sometimes they do. I keep an eye out for what redeems what and where, but it is still frustrating.
Old 03-17-18, 02:04 PM

Apple has been very aggressive in getting stuff like UHD and extra features for their movies. Vudu just takes whatever the studio decides to give them.
Old 03-17-18, 03:20 PM

Did you buy Blu-ray or the 4K disc? If you bought Blu-ray, you likely donít really have the UHD version on iTunes. To test, while youíre watching the movie, swipe down and itíll show what version is playing. iTunes is jacked up that itíll show you own UHD when you actually own the HD version.

If you bought the 4K disc though, it should port to iTunes as UHD via Movies Anywhere. Since you only got HDX on VUDU I assume you had the Blu-ray.