DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted unrelated wiki from a different thread
Print Wikipost

Movies Anywhere - News, Rumors & Discussion

Old 10-11-17, 10:45 PM

Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts
Re: Movies Anywhere - News, Rumors & Discussion

About 45 minutes ago, the Vudu Forum mod posted that they would be connected "within the next hour"

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.ph...-Amazon)/page6
Old 10-11-17, 10:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Good to know, thanks.
Old 10-11-17, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 227 Posts

I got signed up. Verification E-mail. Went to connect and everything went kaput. I take full responsbility.
Old 10-11-17, 11:18 PM

Variety has a good article with lots of info:

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news...ng-1202587915/
Old 10-12-17, 02:37 AM

Here's a list of all the Movies Anywhere titles available at Vudu:

https://www.vudu.com/movies/#feature...ovies-Anywhere
Old 10-12-17, 02:40 AM

Just a quick tip. Now would be a good time to pick up a bunch of cheap iTunes codes. You can find a lot of them around $2. Those prices will probably go up.
Old 10-12-17, 07:10 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Vudu linking is currently not working, but should be resolved within a few hours.
Old 10-12-17, 08:04 AM

More info on Movies Anywhere in this article

As far as other limitations, here are the rules:

A maximum of 4 concurrent streams (title independent) across a single account
A maximum of 2 simultaneous streams of the same title per account
A maximum of 8 registered end-user devices for download per account
A maximum 16 end-user device registrations during a rolling 12-month period
End-user devices are registered automatically when a first download is requested
Downloads expire on offline or deregistered devices after 90 days.
Any single title can be downloaded to all end-user devices in a single Movies Anywhere account at the same time; provided that viewing across the service for a single title is maximum 2 stream, 8 downloads
If I'm understanding this (and it could well be that I don't or I'm making false assumptions) - you can, at the same time, have 8 devices and download a copy of the movie to all eight devices (and, at the same time stream the same movie twice) - or possibly to the same device 8 times (as in, download, erase then download again) or some combination or so. And, those downloads would expire within 90 days. I would assume that at that point, you could then download them on to up to eight devices for the next 90 days (or even better, maybe it would allow you to just revalidate your download rather than require you to redownload the movie again), etc.

(I say that hesitatingly - In theory, I'm allowed to download up to 25 episodes/movies through Amazon Prime at a time, but at this point, it seems to cap at about 17 across all devices, presumably Amazon is miscounting (possibly because maybe I deleted some of my downloads while I wasn't connected to the internet, or maybe a glitch on their end or something. So I tend to be a little wary.).

It is a little disappointing (My understanding with vudu prior to this is that while they limited your devices, they never limited your downloads, and those downloads would never expire, so this is adding limitations in some places where there hadn't been), but if it's the way I'm reading it, the limitations aren't much of an issue (with the possible exception of downloads expiring after some amount of time. While it wouldn't effect the vast majority of us, I could see it affecting some people who would be travelling to locations without internet access)

I wonder if they consider a tablet that has both, say, the vudu app and the google play app and the amazon video app to be one device or three devices? I hope just one.

Last edited by Defiant; 10-12-17 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-12-17, 08:42 AM

I just noticed that some movies have extras available on Movies Anywhere (eg, Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, Singing in the Rain).
Old 10-12-17, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Defiant
Vudu linking is currently not working, but should be resolved within a few hours.
10am pacific is the current time they say it should be up by. I have all of my other accounts linked, so I'm just waiting on that one.
Old 10-12-17, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Movies Anywhere app is up in the iOS store.
Old 10-12-17, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
The biggest retailers (iTunes, Google Play, VUDU, Microsoft, and Amazon) are all signed on with Movies Anywhere.
Actually, Microsoft dropped out of Disney Movies Anywhere a few weeks back. I'm guessing that this expansion was part of the reason.
Old 10-12-17, 10:22 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

VUDU is now linking.
Old 10-12-17, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
VUDU is now linking.
Wasn't working for me via the website, but I was able to link via the iOS app after several attempts.
Old 10-12-17, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i'm still not quite sure what this does for me. i have all my movies on Vudu and very content with that service...
If all your movies are on one service, then not much. I myself have purchases scattered across several services. I use Prime but rarely think to go to my actual Amazon purchases (e.g., The Stunt Man and Devil's Advocate at bargain prices) because they're not easy to find. And iTunes has several of my movies that I bought back in the old digital copy days, and it's very possible I've rebought them because I never watch my Apple purchases.

As I mentioned earlier, I wish Microsoft were also included but that's the way it goes.
Old 10-12-17, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 323 Likes on 245 Posts

Mine says it has Vudu linked but titles aren't going to or from it yet- the website says they should have the problem fixed by 10 AM. Checked out the new Roku app and it's OK- everything I checked played in Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 (Vudu has a few titles in 7.1 but are only 5.1 on Movies Anywhere) and most also have a separate 2-channel track and also Spanish dubs. The interface is still a bit clunky and you aren't able to make any purchases through it, but better than the previous Disney app was. The real plus for this will be getting to watch stuff I had only on iTunes or Amazon through Vudu- I don't have an Apple TV and I hate Amazon's interface- I would never buy a movie from them even at a bargain price but might now if I can play it elsewhere. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out, but still not giving up discs anytime soon. Most of the movies I have on digital were codes from discs traded for movies I didn't have, as I have no practical use for a digital movie that I have on disc. (Seems the industry would hate that people trade codes, but lots of people do and discs keep coming with them.)

You get 5 free movies for linking all your accounts but I already have them all on digital except Big Hero 6 (imported the 3D Blu-Ray of that from England since stupid Disney snubbed it here.) The Lego Movie was part of Warner's annual Christmas giveaway for people who get their surveys- and of course I have that on 3D Blu-Ray too.

Looks like this does NOT include TV content, at least not yet.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 10-12-17 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-12-17, 11:27 AM
Political Exile

Received 474 Likes on 315 Posts

okay, I just set up my Movies Anywhere, and it looks like all of my UV movies ported to Amazon (I'm guessing with the exception of Paramount and Liongate). Vudu hasn't picked up the free movies yet (at least the two that I didn't have already).
Old 10-12-17, 11:33 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I noticed that movies that I had on Vudu which had no extras (the Burton Batman movies, Lord of the Rings extended) now have the blu ray extras showing on MA. Also my digital copy of Heat still has the regular edition on Vudu but on MA it is the new directors edition.
Old 10-12-17, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by PerryD
okay, I just set up my Movies Anywhere, and it looks like all of my UV movies ported to Amazon (I'm guessing with the exception of Paramount and Liongate).
There are at least a few UV-movies from MA-supporting studios that aren't (yet) MA movies, based on the MA icons on vudu. A few examples include Topaz (Universal) and That's Entertainment (WB). Of course, Storm Warning didn't have an MA icon earlier today and it has it now, so things might be in flux at the moment.

Last edited by Defiant; 10-12-17 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-12-17, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had a lot of SD copies from iTunes upgrade to HD or 4K after linking everything.
Old 10-12-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 323 Likes on 245 Posts

Yep, saw that as a BIG plus on the Roku app- there's apparently NO "SD" versions at all, even the ones that Vudu only had available in SD seem to be HD on the Movies Anywhere app. Haven't had anything upgrade to 4K on Vudu but might have to watch for that. Now I can at least watch some of the SD freebies I got from Target Ticket when they started (I opened a number of different accounts to get as many free movies as possible, but karma has caught up with me as the only free movies given away with Movies Anywhere are ones I don't need) and not have them look like ass.
Old 10-12-17, 01:10 PM

I've also noticed a few titles I own, you can no longer purchase, haven't ported over from Amazon to either Vudu or iTunes
Old 10-12-17, 01:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Signed up this morning and my VUDU stuff hasn't moved over at all unfortunately. However, Amazon is moving nicely and I have titles going both ways. Also my DMA stuff went over after a couple of tries. Got my free five titles (only interested in Big Hero 6, but free is free) as well. I assume Vudu will be okay in a week's time if I had to guess.

Question...so where does this leave Television related items? Still F'ed up to the wolves? You want to pick a place where all of these "services" have dropped the ball, it's television. I mean, I will only buy/redeem tv through Vudu (except for a cheapie/freebie here and there) but if this is the future (MoviesAnywhere), it would be nice if it could get spread between a couple of places.
Old 10-12-17, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts

Hasn't considered using Movies Anywhere to view all content. Of the MA viewing providers, I had mostly previously used Amazon or VUDU to view (once or twice on FandangoNow or RIP CinemaNow, can't remember if used Flixster). In the UV space all those SD freebies would only be SD in VUDU or any other viewing service.

Now the question becomes if these are SD titles which are able to be viewed in HD in MA or are the actual owned versions becoming HD/4K...
Old 10-12-17, 01:22 PM

From what I've been reading over on Blu ray forum, it appears titles being ported over to iTunes list 4K if available, however when streamed from new Apple TV it gives an HD stream.

This launch is definitely buggy at the moment, but it is nice to have almost all the digital copies under one roof

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.