Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Disney+ streaming service

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-23, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Originally Posted by mhg83
Why didn't Disney allow people to buy the show or movies to own on the service? On YouTube I bought Buffy and 24 and can watch it anytime on their service without fear that it'll be removed.
Did you look at the list on the previous page? These aren't exactly high demand titles that everyone wants to buy. I know it's instinct to feel outrage when something you don't like happens. But, if you look at the product being taken off, you can see why they likely chose those titles.

Old 05-28-23, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 416 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Why didn't Disney allow people to buy the show or movies to own on the service? On YouTube I bought Buffy and 24 and can watch it anytime on their service without fear that it'll be removed.
I think theoretically it still can be removed, you don't own the content.
The following users liked this post:
BackStJoe (05-28-23)
Old 05-28-23, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,562 Likes on 990 Posts

Wasn't the reason everybody on this site bought DVDs was because it allowed us to own a copy of the material forever? Twenty years later, no one here should be surprised that content owners pull their programs as soon as they don't make sufficient profit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nick Danger:
Alan Smithee (05-30-23), BackStJoe (05-28-23)
Old 05-28-23, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Wow they removed Marvel's Runaways (Hulu original) too?
Old 05-28-23, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wow they removed Marvel's Runaways (Hulu original) too?
Unfortunate as we had not finished that or Cloak and Dagger.
Old 05-29-23, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 746 Posts

Also didn't they promise when Disney+ was first announced that they wouldn't be pulling content from the site? Granted these are relatively minor shows but still. I don't like the precedent it's setting.
Old 05-29-23, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 578 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Also didn't they promise when Disney+ was first announced that they wouldn't be pulling content from the site? Granted these are relatively minor shows but still. I don't like the precedent it's setting.
They may have but I'm sure the terms also stated they can change the terms at any time and for any reason.

Old 05-30-23, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,984 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Wasn't the reason everybody on this site bought DVDs was because it allowed us to own a copy of the material forever?
Yeah, but, unfortunately, it's not unusual for our DVDs (and HD-DVDs and blu-rays) to rot and become unplayable.

I've already lost about a half a dozen DVDs to rot.

Old 05-30-23, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 353 Likes on 267 Posts

That's still from faulty manufacturing, not because some jerk decided to not let you play them anymore.

And yes, you can go sailing and still find these titles that were pulled. If Disney decided nobody wanted to watch them, then they shouldn't be upset if anyone does watch them that way right?
Old 05-30-23, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Some good points:

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/recent...sonal-library/

Dan Rayburn, a media and streaming analyst, explained:
“From a consumer standpoint, what they want is they want to be able to always have access to their content. The part that really confuses consumers is because they don’t understand how content is licensed. They do get confused when one day content is on a service and then disappears or the content is still in the service, but it’s only X number of seasons

With the writer’s strike currently underway, it has highlighted to many people how residual payments work, where actors and creators get paid continuously for their work on films and shows, as they’ve been for home video releases and television syndication for decades And residuals for streaming is a major sticking point for the writer’s strike.

One thing many people aren’t aware of, is while Disney might own a show or film, things are a little more complicated, as internally, different divisions are still having to licence the content from one another. So on paper, the balance sheet must reflect this. For example, NBC Universal had to pay itself $500 million for the rights to “The Office” for Peacock and Warner Brothers Discovery paid itself $425 million for the streaming rights to “Friends”.

“Much like syndication of Hollywood’s yesteryear, streaming services must pay for the right to host a title”

Looking at the data from Parrot Analytics, it’s easy to see why some content was removed, as in the first quarter of the year, the demand for the dozens of shows and movies that have been recently cut from Disney+ represented only 1.9% of the total Disney+ catalogue. For comparison, “The Mandalorian” accounted for 1.3% of total demand during the same period. Similarly, the removed titles for Hulu accounted for just 0.4% of demand on the streaming service. Showcasing that the content removed, was done because hardly anyone was watching them.

But, it’s important to remember, that streaming services are not permanent libraries. They adjust to viewing habits, licenses and contracts expire, plus companies merge, go bankrupt or just simply close down platforms. Opening many to think about reverting to collecting films on physical media once again, though that also comes with some problems, such as format changes, and device availability. Digital purchases also aren’t completely safe either, as some titles are sometimes removed, or platforms closed.

While not everything that was removed was forgettable garbage, I do agree with those who think some of the titles may have value being sold digital a la carte and could be shipped off to someone like Vudu for like $9.99 per title. They may not get great sales, but at least they are making something.
Old 05-31-23, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The thing I don't get is that they clearly have data on how often something is viewed, so why not tie residuals to that? Or is the fear that there will be "creative accounting" on that or something?
Old 05-31-23, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 353 Likes on 267 Posts

What would have been the effect if I had kept “Better Nate Than Ever” playing as many times as possible?
Old 05-31-23, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
What would have been the effect if I had kept “Better Nate Than Ever” playing as many times as possible?
I would think they, like Netflix, have more data on what you watch than you even imagine. So yeah if I'm getting residuals for "Better Nate Than Ever" I guess I could just keep playing it over and over but you'd hope they keep track of unique accounts, trends, etc.
Old 05-31-23, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Bottom line as the article alluded to, streaming is not a library of movies and television for perpetuity. Eventually licenses and contracts expire or have to be re-negotiated. Us average people who aren't in the entertainment business or dealing with entertainment contracts or laws think we know everything, but in fact, we don't.
Old 06-01-23, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 363 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Bottom line as the article alluded to, streaming is not a library of movies and television for perpetuity. Eventually licenses and contracts expire or have to be re-negotiated. Us average people who aren't in the entertainment business or dealing with entertainment contracts or laws think we know everything, but in fact, we don't.
If the social media age has given us anything, it's the boundless entertainment of millions of randos spouting off about any given topic with immeasurable ignorance and unabashed confidence.
The following 2 users liked this post by kefrank:
DJariya (06-01-23), Meathead (06-02-23)
Old 06-02-23, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm not a business major or an entertainment accountant. But, apparently Disney took a $1.5B in writedowns for the content they dropped.

Old 06-06-23, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 746 Posts

I don't understand business. I don't understand taxes. I certainly don't understand business taxes. But how in the world can they write off all of these things they've pulled when they've already released them and some of them well over a year ago. How can they prove they made a profit on something as confusing as streaming?

Oh yeah and apparently they removed Prop Masters which that really sucks as a Disney fan since it dealt with a lot of Disney history. And again why are there residuals being paid for a show like that?
Old 06-06-23, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 797 Likes on 648 Posts

I got a email with a offer of $2.99 for 6 months with the basic ad supported plan.

Should I do it?
Old 06-06-23, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I don't understand business. I don't understand taxes. I certainly don't understand business taxes. But how in the world can they write off all of these things they've pulled when they've already released them and some of them well over a year ago. How can they prove they made a profit on something as confusing as streaming?

Oh yeah and apparently they removed Prop Masters which that really sucks as a Disney fan since it dealt with a lot of Disney history. And again why are there residuals being paid for a show like that?
It is not a write off. They took a tax impairment loss or a loss in value of the properties. This allows them to keep the properties available but the value is lowered from their original release.

Similar to a warehouse taking a tax impairment loss after a fire. A cart or equipment may be damaged but it is still partially valuable since it was not completely destroyed.
Old 06-11-23, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,299 Likes on 796 Posts

Any known reason why The Incredible Hulk (2008) is not available to stream with all the other MCU movies on Disney+?
Old 06-11-23, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Any known reason why The Incredible Hulk (2008) is not available to stream with all the other MCU movies on Disney+?
Universal has distribution of that movie.
The following 2 users liked this post by emachine12:
majorjoe23 (06-11-23), Spiderbite (06-11-23)
Old 06-15-23, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk God

And 4 days later, this is announced

Old 06-15-23, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

All other Disney + announcements pale in comparison this bombshell (and I'm only half joking):

The following users liked this post:
story (06-15-23)
Old 06-15-23, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk God

https://www.sportskeeda.com/comics/n...s-legal-issues

Assembled: The Making of Ant-Man and the Wasp Quantumania has apparently been delayed due to Jonathan Majors legal issues. I assume he’s heavily featured. It was supposed to drop yesterday.
Old 06-15-23, 03:52 PM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
And 4 days later, this is announced

https://twitter.com/disneyplus/statu...ROaaX6I5S_8l2Q
There has been speculation for a while that, based on SEC filings, Universal's distribution rights were to end after 15 years. Those 15 years were up two days ago as The Incredible Hulk came out June 13, 2008.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announce a new Hulk film at ComicCon (or a later date) as part of Phase 6.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.