Deleted old wiki from another thread, moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

DC Universe streaming service

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-18, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts
re: DC Universe streaming service

Yeah, I don’t mind Lois and Clark. It was always on the cheesy side but its alright.
Old 09-22-18, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Before I rant, I realize it's only been a week and I think one of the reasons DC gave yearly subscribers the extra three months is because they were essentially launching a Beta version. That said:

- I think we've found a forum WORSE (hee hee) than DVD Talk, and it's on DC Universe. Has anyone checked this out? You can post a comment and that's about it. You can't quote other's text in your reply (in fact, it's a violation of their terms), you can't PM other users, you can't view other user's profiles, there's no way to get alerts of threads you commented on being added to, the threads automatically reload and jump back to the top whenever (a) you like a post or (b) every so many seconds. DC PROMISED an interactive community where you can meet other fans, but you CAN'T do that!

- The comic book reader looks great; however, it's glitchy and when reading in the panel-to-panel mode, it will often jump to the LAST panel of a page instead of the first one, making you backtrack.

- The "News" part of DC Daily is fine, but the rest of it is just congratulatory back-slapping for DC and the service. It's like the hosts (all 100 of them ) are clueless about what's going on with the service (they STILL say daily how the community is SO interactive, when it's not at all).

Granted, we should give DC time to fix all the bugs, but there's no indication that they have any intention of doing so.
I think they rushed to get this service online before the DC shows start up their new seasons on the CW. They probably should have waited another month or two before making it widely available.
Old 09-22-18, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

That seems like an odd thing to tie into though, considering they have none of the CW shows. I really think they just wanted to launch it on Batman day, which if true is beyond dumb.
Old 09-23-18, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
That seems like an odd thing to tie into though, considering they have none of the CW shows. I really think they just wanted to launch it on Batman day, which if true is beyond dumb.
For good or ill, those CW shows are by far the most visible to DC fans. I expect to see the CW blanketed with ads for this streaming service once the new Arrowverse seasons begin.
Old 09-23-18, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The Apple TV app is very flawed and filled with bugs and missing features. I actually prefer using the Android TV app instead.

It's a little frustrating how the WB/DC design team for these apps didn't take notes on what Netflix and Hulu has done and maybe try to make it better. I think they tried to make the app a little too simple.

I sent an e-mail to them about the Apple TV app flaws and they actually replied back within minutes and said they are aware of the design flaws and working to fix them.

Yup, this is definitely a Beta version being rolled out.
Old 09-25-18, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

So a few more comments after having used the Roku app to watch a couple shows and read a couple comics.
- Comics works about 95% of the time. Every now and then it'll skip ahead to the bottom of the page, or panel-by-panel doesn't work right. I go to landscape mode and just scroll down in those cases.
- It lets me "Favorite" issues but not a series. (Unless I haven't found it yet.) So I have to search by title to read "Title, Issue 5" each time.
- For the most part, comics look pretty good on my TV screen, considering.
- Browsing on Roku is very limited, only to their curated lists
- Favorites should be easier to get to. I like how Netflix updated their app recently with the master menu on the left.
- Turns out I have an Apple TV gen 3; DCU only works with 4 and up.
- They definitely should have taken a few lessons from NF and Hulu interfaces.
- I have only looked at the forums like twice so I don't really have any input on it.
- It hasn't mattered yet because the intro is very short on what I'm watching, but I hope they add a "skip intro" for shows like Netflix does.
Old 09-25-18, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Hopefully when October rolls around they will add more content once they launch Titans and fix the bugs with the apps.
Old 09-25-18, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think they rushed to get this service online before the DC shows start up their new seasons on the CW. They probably should have waited another month or two before making it widely available.
I've said from the beginning that DC/Warners rushed this service because they wanted to beat the upcoming Disney app out of the gate. But they should have waited. For one, the Disney app is taking on the "big guns" like Netflix and Hulu, while DC is aiming for a much more niche audience - there was no reason to rush it out the door like this.
Old 09-25-18, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Today's DC Daily show had very very little news. I think they just announced a few new comics & showed some more stills from Joker, then showed a fluff piece about Batman vs. Deathstroke. The panel was kind of fun. They talked about the old 1980's Superboy TV series and how cheesy it was and if it held up. Superboy is on DC Universe. I saw the 1st episode a week ago and I learned from the panel that the show aired out of order. The 5th episode was actually the real Pilot.

The panel actually ended up filling most of the show. Just shows that DC Daily is a hard show to make 5 days a week. Just not much comic and DC movie/TV shows to fill 5 days.

And I don't really know who Clarke Wolfe is (one of the panelists), but I actually find her quite attractive in a nerdy sense. I think I've seen her on a few Collider videos.
Old 09-26-18, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

My annoyance with the comics section continues. Why the hell would they put up issues 2, 3, and 4 of Crisis On Infinite Earths and not include #1?
Old 09-26-18, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Digital comics do nothing for me.

I would rather have it in my hands.

It's a piece of art. Much better too own rather than look at on a screen(no matter the size).
Old 09-28-18, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Noticed today that the first four Batman films (Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, and Batman and Robin) are all being yanked after 9/30. Seems odd, since the service just launched two weeks ago - figured nothing would be pulled until at least Oct. 31. Just a heads-up for everyone.
Old 09-30-18, 11:12 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Watched a few things now and my big take-away is that the audio is terrible. They really need to fix it.
Old 10-01-18, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Digital comics do nothing for me.

I would rather have it in my hands.

It's a piece of art. Much better too own rather than look at on a screen(no matter the size).
I have no idea if your complaint is related to the experience with DC Universe (which I have no experience with yet) or digital comics in general but...

Sometimes you just want to read a run of comics. While it is all technically "art", there's really no need to own physical copies of most of it (because really how often are you going to pull it out an re-read it after you box it up), so as an avid comic reader I'm fine with digital comics and online subs. Even changing my habits from collecting monthly comics to collecting just hardcover collections, I have too much stuff.
Old 10-01-18, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Especially since single issues are what, three to five bucks now? I'm not a collector currently, although I'm rereading my old collection, bought a bunch from Ollie's and enjoyed my comics bento sub. Dcu having comics is a value add for me. (Although I agree with some of the comments on the selection and the interface.).
Old 10-01-18, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I have no idea if your complaint is related to the experience with DC Universe (which I have no experience with yet) or digital comics in general but...

Sometimes you just want to read a run of comics. While it is all technically "art", there's really no need to own physical copies of most of it (because really how often are you going to pull it out an re-read it after you box it up), so as an avid comic reader I'm fine with digital comics and online subs. Even changing my habits from collecting monthly comics to collecting just hardcover collections, I have too much stuff.
I have collected stuff since late 1965 (maybe too much stuff).

I do prefer the Omnibus hardcover of just about anything DC or Marvel. I would like too buy some 1960s Marvel Comics(depending on the price).

Too me a comic book needs to be held in my hands. Reading it at DC Universe is no different than reading anything else on the internet.

I own a lot of movies on dvd and Blu-ray and the odds of Netflix,Hulu or Amazon Prime having a certain movie in my collection that I'd rather watch on their service rather than looking through my collection is less than the chances of the Detroit Lions winning a playoff game.

Bottomline-I am a collector. If I can find something faster on DC Universe that's the route I will go but Digital Comic Books has been a disappointment.

How would this be any different than collecting baseball cards unless they have digital baseball cards. I did own the Topps Book that was put out about 30 years ago that had a picture of all their baseball cards but still not the same as owning them(especially the older ones).
Old 10-01-18, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk God

New DC Universe content for October

https://www.dcuniverse.com/news/what...r-dc-universe/

Titans - October 12th

Supergirl (1984) -- This Friday

The New Teen Titans comics (issue 1-12 available now, 13-41 will be released in the rest of the month)

Batman: The Long Halloween comics - October 23rd

Seems like just early highlights for now. I hope more is added.
Old 10-01-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk God

and FYI, New York Comic Con is this weekend and DC/DC Universe is scheduled to have a panel. Hopefully more news and announcements come this weekend.
Old 10-01-18, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I have collected stuff since late 1965 (maybe too much stuff).

I do prefer the Omnibus hardcover of just about anything DC or Marvel. I would like too buy some 1960s Marvel Comics(depending on the price).

Too me a comic book needs to be held in my hands. Reading it at DC Universe is no different than reading anything else on the internet.

I own a lot of movies on dvd and Blu-ray and the odds of Netflix,Hulu or Amazon Prime having a certain movie in my collection that I'd rather watch on their service rather than looking through my collection is less than the chances of the Detroit Lions winning a playoff game.

Bottomline-I am a collector. If I can find something faster on DC Universe that's the route I will go but Digital Comic Books has been a disappointment.

How would this be any different than collecting baseball cards unless they have digital baseball cards. I did own the Topps Book that was put out about 30 years ago that had a picture of all their baseball cards but still not the same as owning them(especially the older ones).
I guess the difference to me, with baseball cards the major motivation to get them is to collect. With comics, while collecting them, to me, has always been secondary to reading them, especially if you consider the cost of comics and in general what a terrible investment they are for collecting purposes (I realize people can collect things not only to make money).

But yeah, this service only giving you an issue or series here or there isn't going to help much, I was more talking something like Marvel Unlimited where you can read whole runs you were interested in without having to track down a physical copy, or comixology where you can pick up a few runs for dirt cheap.

I wonder what the rationale is for pulling media like the Batman movies. Assuming they pay the licensing costs to themselves, is it to reduce bandwidth or something?

Also it was mentioned in the Titans thread but I didn't see it here, Titans was licensed to Netflix for distribution abroad (as a Netflix original). This isn't unusual, CBS did the same thing, but it does seem to indicate they have no plans to expand this service abroad right now and perhaps that they and Netflix don't see each other as much of a threat (maybe?)
Old 10-01-18, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I’m not a comic collector. When I was with Marvel Unlimited, I could knock out an issue usually within less than 10 minutes. I can’t justify $4 a pop for something I’ll read that quickly and likely never look at again.
Towards the end of my MU subscription, I was caught up on several titles and switched over to weekly reading. I was reading enough that, were I buying physical copies, it would have been $30-40 a week.
That’s why I like digital. I love comics, but don’t have the expendable income to keep up with a bunch of titles via a LCS.
Having said that, I do feel bad for the owner of the LCS here, who is a friend of mine. He’s the only game in town and will probably go out of business soon due to barely breaking even each month. I really believe that modern cover prices have priced many out of buying weekly.
Old 10-02-18, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Shannon Nutt posted a pretty good review on the service.

https://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/d...ervice-review/

He gave it a C+ Pretty much my thoughts as well on the service right now in it's infancy.
Old 10-04-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Approximate timeline when all the DC Universe original shows will be released.

And wow, Harley Quinn is over 1 year away from airing. But it looks like there is no gap in shows.
Old 10-04-18, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It has come out through the grapevine that this streaming service wasn't originally planned to come out until late October. At the last minute, someone decided to push up the premiere to Batman Day in September.

So that is why the service has seemed a little rough around the edges.
Old 10-04-18, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Looks like a summer subscription for me.
Old 10-04-18, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

I wonder what the rationale is for pulling media like the Batman movies. Assuming they pay the licensing costs to themselves, is it to reduce bandwidth or something?
That’s really weird. Less than a month from launching and they’re pulling stuff already? Unless the Burton/Schumacher films are licensed to another streaming service and they only had the rights temporarily for launch to coincide with Batman Day. Still though stuff like those films are things you would think would be there.

Looking at the release schedule as of now it doesn’t feel like there’s a lot of incentive to sign up now. It feels like something I’ll wait on until next Fall or sometime before the Harley series starts and catch up with the other original shows (if they’re well reviewed).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.