Print Wikipost

DC Universe streaming service

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-18, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by DJariya
My guess is they probably only sign short term licensing deals, which is cheaper than keeping them multiple years and can always re-acquire them at a later time.
But what is there to license? They own these movies. They are produced in house by their own animation studios. It seems ridiculous that content they created and own comes and goes away from the service. even if they are from different division. It is still the same company. That said, I have nearly every animated DC movie on blu ray for when they go on sale around BF/Christmas (usually $5-$7), so I don't care. But still irksome.
Old 12-26-18, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
But what is there to license? They own these movies. They are produced in house by their own animation studios. It seems ridiculous that content they created and own comes and goes away from the service. That said, I have nearly every animated DC movie for when they go on sale around BF/Christmas (usually $5-$7), so I don't care. But still irksome.
They absolutely still have to license it for streaming. Even though they own the movies rights, the actors, writers, directors, producers, all have to get paid under the Producers guild, directors guild, writers guild, and actors guild and such so they can get paid residuals.

It's more complex than what I understand. There is also music rights as well. Composers have to get paid.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-26-18 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-26-18, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I assumed it was his connection to Kevin Smith via Hollywood Babble On that got him the gig.

On a side note, I didn't even realize he was let go until I saw some billboards from some other station saying "at least we didn't fire Ralph Garman"
Yeah I didn't mean to imply Adam West was the reason as I'm sure all mentioned factored in... not to mention his talent and knowledge.
Old 12-27-18, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

It's going to be really interesting to see later in 2019 (or whenever that Warner Bros. app debuts) if the overall Warners app has more DC content (i.e., all the theatrical films, including the DCU films) than DC Universe.

The "thinking" at DC Universe is that they can cruise by on having one "new" original series airing at a time (with a little overlap between live action and animated). I don't know how that works long term. I think people will start bailing once their first year's membership runs out.
Old 12-27-18, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

They locked enthusiasts in for a year with the discounts, but yeah they have to up their content or do something because the shine is going to come off real quick. Unless they just have a string of hits with their original series, but even the bigger streaming studios have stinkers.

So I tried out Superman the Animated Series for my son. It looks rough. I mean, I know they didn't remaster it but I figured it would look a little better than my DVDs. I guess not.

Last edited by fujishig; 12-27-18 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-28-18, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Kind of an insult to fans who were lured into paying for this service upfront. Apparently Titans is being brought to Netflix on January 11th. A big incentive to get this service was the new shows, so why make them available elsewhere so shortly after the first season wrapped?
Old 12-28-18, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

That’s only for outside the US.
Old 12-28-18, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mike86
Kind of an insult to fans who were lured into paying for this service upfront. Apparently Titans is being brought to Netflix on January 11th. A big incentive to get this service was the new shows, so why make them available elsewhere so shortly after the first season wrapped?
Incorrect its Netflix international, not U.S. DC Universe has exclusive rights in the States.
Old 12-28-18, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Incorrect its Netflix international, not U.S. DC Universe has exclusive rights in the States.
Yeah, the article I read didn’t mention that. I looked into it more after posting.
Old 12-29-18, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk God

FYI, there is a new 43 minute DC Universe original documentary on the history of Aquaman on the service as of today. It's called "DC Spotlight: Aquaman"

It features scenes and interviews from actors on the movie.
Old 12-29-18, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts

Speaking of Aquaman... if you went and saw Aquaman at a Regal theater and used your Regal Crown rewards card you should have received an email for $10 off a DC universe Subscription.

I'm debating whether to use this and get it. Would have been better if it was the $60 deal minus $10.

I just got the email, was more interested in the $3 discount for pre-ordering Aquaman on Vudu.
Old 12-29-18, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Netflix International has deep ties to DC content. It's rumored they are the ones fronting the extra budget for each year's big CW crossover.
Old 12-30-18, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Netflix International has deep ties to DC content. It's rumored they are the ones fronting the extra budget for each year's big CW crossover.
I'm sure Netflix international is helping cover most of the physical production costs for these DC Universe originals as well.

I know their money is helping pay for Star Trek Discovery.
Old 12-31-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah didn't one of you guys explain that the CW DC shows make all their money on Netflix thus offsetting the low CW ratings or something like that?
Old 12-31-18, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah didn't one of you guys explain that the CW DC shows make all their money on Netflix thus offsetting the low CW ratings or something like that?
Yep, most of the DC shows on the CW couldn't survive without the Netflix deal. The Flash may be the only show that would survive without Netflix.
Old 01-07-19, 11:39 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Ironically the PQ/AQ is going to be much better on Netflix over DC Universe because DCU offers such low-bandwidth encoded video with stereo only audio. I'm sure most people don't care but for all content carried on the dedicated streaming services and Netflix/Amazon this is going to be a problem for those who do.

For example, Titans is being released next week on international Netflix, and it will almost surely have 5.1 surround, if not Atmos, maybe even HDR (like Discovery).
Old 01-07-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
No, it makes total sense.

I THINK....the problem is You are still technically in the last ep's file/stream; and you never started the new ep's file/stream. So all it knows is you never 100% finished the previous file/streaming activity and is asking what you want to do. And since you're close enough to the end it just restarts it since you clicked continue.

That same thing happens on the CW app.
This is garbage functionality, btw. If I exit out of an episode near the end (like the credits are playing) it should automatically queue up the next episode when I come back to my watchlist. Instead, it does as you said; so I play the last episode, figuring I can just fast forward a bit to transition to the next one, but no, it starts at the beginning because it's almost at the end of the episode. Why would someone want to rewatch the same episode?

Also, maybe I'm just dense, but is there a way to browse content on the app itself? I can search on the fire tv app, but I don't see a place to, say, see a listing by title of all the comics there, or all the DC animated stuff, or all the movies.
Old 01-09-19, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

DC Universe Reportedly A Failure With Subscribers

It would appear that Warner Bros.’ ambitious DC Universe streaming service is struggling to gain the captive audience that executives were hoping for.According to a report from Thomas Polito of Geeks WorldWide, the a la carte DC streaming service is not the profitable venture that Warner executives had been hoping for. Polito also commented that it would be a “surprise” if the number of subscribers were to increase at this point. This statement has been supported by KC Walsh of Geeks WorldWide, who reported that the service has only been able to gain 700,000 subscribers since its launch on September 15th of last year. Neither were able to provide a source for their claims and it is not likely that Warner Bros. will release internal data about subscribers.
Old 01-09-19, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

That sucks As niche goes, it's not the niche-iest service, but definitely up there.
I also have the "doesn't know I'm done" issue, and would like more content easily available on the Roku app.
And, well, more content period.
Hope it at least lasts my 15 months. I guess I need to finish Titans and YJ:Outsiders quickly.

And that's a little bit of a misleading headline - it could be a failure as a subscription service, but what is the opinion of the subscribers? It's worth 5 bucks a month to me, so it's not a "failure" to this subscriber.
Old 01-09-19, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk God

700,000 in only 4 months of existence is not exactly a disaster. CBS All Access had about 500,000 in it's first year. I think they're basing that on the amount of money spent on original shows and seeing if it's profitable right away. And that's impossible. No start up is profitable in year 1. And who seriously expected this to be profitable in under 1 year? Hulu, who has been around much longer, from what I read is a money loser.

That's a pretty ridiculous write up.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-09-19 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-10-19, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

700,000 in only 4 months of existence is not exactly a disaster. CBS All Access had about 500,000 in it's first year. I think they're basing that on the amount of money spent on original shows and seeing if it's profitable right away. And that's impossible. No start up is profitable in year 1. And who seriously expected this to be profitable in under 1 year? Hulu, who has been around much longer, from what I read is a money loser.

That's a pretty ridiculous write up.
Yeah that is a pretty ridiculous write up. As the saying goes, numbers lie and liars use numbers. But it's ridiculous for a couple of reasons:

1. The service has (supposedly) 700,000 subscribers. That's more than some bigger services which have been out for years have.

2. It has 700,000 subscribers after just four months of being out, and being limited in terms of how you can have it(only Android, IOS, Roku and Amazon Fire have it). It does not have a console app yet(or Blu/HD player app yet), and it is not available in other parts of the world.

3. Most streaming servicers operate at a loss for awhile. Hell Netflix still operates at a loss, as does Hulu, and it took the WWE Network awhile before it became profitable.

4. With international rights to their shows landing on Netflix, this is being used to make money for WB in other ways and most likely Netflix international is footing the bill for some of the content.

So yeah it's not all gloom and doom with this service. While some parts are definitely true(they should have waited to launch, the comics section should be expanded and they could advertise better) the article is definitely written to be click bait.
Old 01-10-19, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Gee, I don't know why they can't get subscribers...perhaps because they don't have any content? I mean even their catalog stuff is slim (and constantly being pulled/thrown back up).
Old 01-10-19, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Gee, I don't know why they can't get subscribers...perhaps because they don't have any content? I mean even their catalog stuff is slim (and constantly being pulled/thrown back up).
Honest question. What were you expecting content wise? You have a new original series, Young Justice is starting there is a lot to keep you occupied. But you have complained about content lacking. Did you want every series to launch the same day or what?
Old 01-10-19, 08:25 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Again, it goes back to studio support. Having a DC subscription service is a silly idea in of itself, even with original programming. Now if WB started a streaming service with all of their offerings (catalog shows, cartoons, all things DC, etc), then it could compete a lot better. A Marvel universe streaming service would suffer the same fate or close to it. But Disney is about to snuff out all of these niche services. I wonder how many of those services with under a million suscribers have survived and are profitable. This is the same. It won’t make money by churning out original good quality shows with few suscribers.

Last edited by E Unit; 01-10-19 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-10-19, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by robin2099
Honest question. What were you expecting content wise? You have a new original series, Young Justice is starting there is a lot to keep you occupied. But you have complained about content lacking. Did you want every series to launch the same day or what?
It would probably help if they had more DC content then, say, Netflix does. I realize due to the WB shows contract or whatever they couldn't, but the fact that it's not THE place to see DC content doesn't help, nor does them actually removing content when new content comes in. Sure, Netflix does this, but their library is much bigger.

Comixology recently partnered with DC to bring DC comics to Comixology Unlimited, which is a different streaming service for comics. That immediately brings them to way more comics available in that service than DC Unlimited has.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.