Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

YouTube TV -- Live TV streaming service

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-21, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: YouTube TV -- Live TV streaming service

I decided to give the Chromecast with Google TV a try on my main TV and get rid of the Roku. So far I like it a lot. The watchlist seems kind of pointless, but the YoutubeTV integration is great and I can still get to the rest of my apps pretty easily.
Old 04-30-21, 06:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Was freaking out until I read the app still works if you already have it. Thank god. I have converted several people to Roku and YTTV, so I was like man, this is going to be a fucking gigantic pain in the ass.....
All good and well until YouTube updates their app, yet it can't be updated on Roku.
Old 04-30-21, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
All good and well until YouTube updates their app, yet it can't be updated on Roku.
as long as the YTTV app still works, I give zero fucks what they do with it.
Old 04-30-21, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as long as the YTTV app still works, I give zero fucks what they do with it.
You won't be happy if what I suspect to be true is actually true. I can't get 1080p on YTTV using my Roku Stick+ because the connection is being limited to 2.5Mbps. If anybody else can check theirs that would help.
Old 05-07-21, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk God

An update for our Roku users: Today we’re introducing a feature that gives you a new way to access YouTube TV from within the YouTube app. This update will be available to all YouTube TV members on Roku over the next few days, and we will expand to as many devices as we can over time. Here is how it works: Make sure you have the YouTube app downloaded from the Roku Channel StoreFrom the YouTube app, simply click on “Go to YouTube TV” in the left-hand menu of the appIf it’s your first time doing this, you’ll need to sign in to YouTube TVYou can learn more in our Help Center
Old 05-08-21, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I read another article about the above that also had a quote from Google saying that if that maneuver fails, they're looking into ways of sending out "devices" (Chromecasts?) to YTTV subscribers. I'll have to find it.

EDIT: This isn't the piece I read, but it has the quote from Google:

Elsewhere in the post, Google says the YouTube team is still working to reach a new agreement with Roku. Still, it also says it’s working with other companies to “secure free streaming devices in case YouTube TV members face any access issues on Roku.”
Old 05-10-21, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I read another article about the above that also had a quote from Google saying that if that maneuver fails, they're looking into ways of sending out "devices" (Chromecasts?) to YTTV subscribers. I'll have to find it.

EDIT: This isn't the piece I read, but it has the quote from Google:
Damn! I should have waited to buy my Chromecast and then bitched to Google about it. I am enjoying the device more than I liked the Roku, so it's pretty much all working out.
Old 06-16-21, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Guess they're following through with the free devices:

YouTube TV is Offering Free TiVo Stream 4K and Chromecast Devices

Published 19 hours ago on Jun 15, 2021
Jess Barnes
With YouTube TV still feuding with Roku, the streaming service is now giving subscribers one of two alternatives by offering either a free TiVo Stream 4K or Chromecast device ahead of YouTube TV launching an optional 4K feature.

Subscribers have been getting the offer in emails, with the TiVo offer saying: “To ensure our loyal YouTube TV members have a great watch experience (including the ability to watch 4K content on our optional new add-on service coming soon!), we want to offer you a free TiVo Stream 4K device.”

Some customers have reported receiving the same email with TiVo Stream 4K device replaced by Chromecast with Google TV device. The emails have a link to redeem the offer which expires on June 30.

YouTube TV mentioned a new add-on package with 4K streaming, offline viewing, and unlimited concurrent streaming at home in a blog post in February.

“After just a few years, YouTube TV now has more than 3 million paid subscribers, 85+ networks, and offers unlimited DVR,” the company said. “Sports fans can even enjoy their favorite games with the ability to view key plays, hide spoilers, and check out real-time stats. And there’s more to come, including a new add-on option that lets viewers watch available shows in 4K or download them to their DVR to watch later offline.”
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/yout...ecast-devices/
Old 06-18-21, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

FYI: Free HBO/HBO Max/Cinemax through the 21st (17th - 21st)

It's only partial content for HBO Max, but stuff like Tenet, The Nevers, That Damn Michael Che, The Flight Attendant, is available (I don't know what goes on what platform anymore)

Last edited by RichC2; 06-18-21 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-27-21, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone else getting bad PQ when watching the NBA Playoffs in TNT? I don't have this problem with other channels so I don't think its my internet speed or connection.
Old 06-28-21, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

YouTube TV is offering a new 4K plan option for an extra $20 per month

https://deadline.com/2021/06/youtube...1749/#comments

Old 06-28-21, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DJariya

To be fair, it is only $10/month for first year if you sign up. Better news is DD 5.1 is coming soon!

Looks like the 4k add on also gets you unlimited streams. Apparently unlimited on your own home network, but still limited to 3 outside of that.

Last edited by Deftones; 06-28-21 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-28-21, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

To be fair, it is only $10/month for first year if you sign up.
That's still $75 a month. Not a good enough deal to get me to switch, I'm afraid.
Old 06-28-21, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

The only way I would ever consider changing to YouTube TV is if they added Spectrum SportsNet and SportsNet LA. But since YouTube, Hulu and Sling all hate the sports RSNs and they quit negotiating with each other, it’s a no go for me.

I waited 7 years for DirecTV to finally get Dodgers Network.

For those who do subscribe, I hope the 4K addition is good and worth it.
Old 06-28-21, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Streaming services don't seem to want RSNs anymore. Too much added cost.

From what I see in Reddit, there is barely any 4k content available. And outside of the Olympics, there doesn't seem to be anything really this summer. I may consider it for NFL if somehow they can do a 4k RZ channel or offer 4k games.
Old 07-01-21, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Considering how much Sinclair wants to charge for that regional streaming package, I get the feeling it goes both ways.
Old 07-01-21, 12:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

I don’t use this service, but are there a lot of channels that broadcast in 4K? I wouldn’t think so. At least not right now.
Old 07-01-21, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk God

There are none. Basically sporting events are VOD are all you get.
Old 07-01-21, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

$20.00 a month seems a steep price for nothing. I get tons of 4k content via streaming for very little (if any) markup. Surely they have something in mind for this price structure?
Old 07-01-21, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Eddie W
$20.00 a month seems a steep price for nothing. I get tons of 4k content via streaming for very little (if any) markup. Surely they have something in mind for this price structure?
Well you are missing one thing. It does add unlimited home streams + 3 out of home streams. Some people potentially stream more than 3 at a time. That is an added benefit to some. But yes, the price structure for now, as it is, is sort of ridiculous.
Old 07-03-21, 10:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Additionally, now you can download shows from your DVR for offline viewing, if you get the 4k package...nice perk for when I'm traveling...
Old 07-04-21, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That is a great feature actually.

But yeah that package isn't for me but I do still love YTTV, for at least another minor price hike.
Old 07-31-21, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I’m thinking of switching to YouTube TV this week. I did some research online and it looks like you can use YouTube TV in different areas other than your home address as long as you don’t exceed three streams at once. Is that correct? If I switch over from cable, I can save $60 a month.
Old 07-31-21, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I’m thinking of switching to YouTube TV this week. I did some research online and it looks like you can use YouTube TV in different areas other than your home address as long as you don’t exceed three streams at once. Is that correct? If I switch over from cable, I can save $60 a month.
I can confirm this. I left Hulu Live because of how strict they were on that (4 address changes per year or something like that, if you go somewhere and login on a tv then come back home that's 2). By comparison, YTTV almost seems too open (you can even have 5 separate accounts join your "Family" so they have their own login to your YTTV, 3 streams simultaneously coming from wherever)

Last edited by RichC2; 07-31-21 at 12:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lwhy? (07-31-21)
Old 07-31-21, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lwhy?
Regarding the different areas, that is correct. Last weekend my girlfriend and I were scrambling to be able to find a way to watch the Olympics opening ceremony and she ended up getting her dad to add her to his YouTube TV account. He lives in Detroit and we're in Virginia. When logging in, it noticed the geographic distance, but gave her a 30 day "I'm traveling" access to the service. (Which shouldn't be a problem, since we only need it for the Olympics.)

I'm not sure how far outside of the main account holder the other "family members" have to be in order to trigger that. Back when I had YTTV I gave my brother and sister access with no problems, but they're only about 20 miles away from me. I also don't know how many times one can extend the traveling exception, if that can be done at all.
The following users liked this post:
lwhy? (07-31-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.