Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

YouTube TV -- Live TV streaming service

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-23, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: YouTube TV -- Live TV streaming service

Originally Posted by TheBang
I think it's called Spectrum TV Essentials, and it's streaming only, through apps. $24.99/month for 60+ cable channels. DVR add-on is $5 or $10. No locals, so it avoids the broadcast surcharge.

There's another streaming package too, called Spectrum TV Choice. It includes locals, plus 15 cable channels of your choice. Because of the locals, it's subject to the broadcast surchage, so, total monthly cost is about $52 or something like that.
You can add the DVR box for $10 more a month. I have TV Choice because I can’t justify paying $20 to $30 more for channels I won’t watch. I added the box because I want to pause live TV and wanted a better DVR than their “cloud” option.
Old 03-18-23, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I initially had YTTV back in the day to watch football (local channels) on my phone while at work. It's no longer an issue but I'd look at Sling if I was still in that situation.
Old 03-18-23, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Figures! We dropped U-verse due to the outrageous pride and their crappy internet. I guess I will wait to football season starts to see what my options are in the fall.
Old 03-18-23, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Remember when this service started out at $35/month and a few others had similar pricing and some were proclaiming it's officially the death of cable?

$35/month was never sustainable for the long run since broadcast rights fees and programming fees keep going up. And what if they kept the local RSNs? The price would even be higher.

Old 03-18-23, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

They have 3 games going right now. I will say it is pretty seamless. Outside of it taking about 3 seconds for the audio to switch over if you highlight another feed, the quality is pretty damn good.

Last edited by Deftones; 03-18-23 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-18-23, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
They have 3 games going right now. I will say it is pretty seamless. Outside of it taking about 3 seconds down the audio to switch over if you highlight another feed, the quality is pretty damn good.

This is the Double, triple or Quadbox YTTV is offering to select customers during March Madness.

It does work pretty darn good.
Old 03-18-23, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

$35/month was never sustainable for the long run since broadcast rights fees and programming fees keep going up.
That was never sustainable for me for any sort of cable "service". I simply won't pay a dime for anything that shows commercials. If I had to pay to get my local stations, I'd say goodbye to them in a second. I pay less than $35 now for the services I do subscribe to, which have no commercials and show what I want, when I want and how I want, at least with the workarounds I have in place.

I remember when cable was $20 per month, my parents said even that was too much and wouldn't get it no matter how much I begged.
Old 03-19-23, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Gonna drop Youtube TV when the price increase becomes effective next month.

Looking into getting Hulu, would appreciate it if someone who has Hulu can answer these questions (I have tried finding the answers online but can't find it).
1. Does Hulu carry Animal Planet? Specifically the show 'Tanked'. If yes, can you watch episodes on demand from past seasons?
2. For Fox Shows like Family Guy, Masked Singer, can you watch current and past seasons in full?
3. Same question for NBC Shows like The Voice, AGT, etc.

I seem to recall a few years ago that Hulu only had the past 3 or 4 episodes (current season) of a TV show so you cannot binge watch an entire season. Not sure if this is true or maybe it was just a figment of my imagination.
Old 03-19-23, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by sinned
Gonna drop Youtube TV when the price increase becomes effective next month.

Looking into getting Hulu, would appreciate it if someone who has Hulu can answer these questions (I have tried finding the answers online but can't find it).
1. Does Hulu carry Animal Planet? Specifically the show 'Tanked'. If yes, can you watch episodes on demand from past seasons?
2. For Fox Shows like Family Guy, Masked Singer, can you watch current and past seasons in full?
3. Same question for NBC Shows like The Voice, AGT, etc.

I seem to recall a few years ago that Hulu only had the past 3 or 4 episodes (current season) of a TV show so you cannot binge watch an entire season. Not sure if this is true or maybe it was just a figment of my imagination.
Are you looking into Hulu or Hulu Live TV?

In terms of standard Hulu (not Live TV):
1. Hulu does not carry Tanked without Live TV nor is Animal Planet one of those regular channel partners.
2. It varies by program, but it has all 21 seasons of Family Guy up through the March 12, 2023 episode. Same applies for Masked Singer.
3. Most NBC show have migrated to Peacock. But are obviously available if you have the Live TV version.
Old 03-19-23, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks RichC2.
I should have said that I was looking into standard Hulu, not Hulu + Live TV.
Good to know about the Fox Shows. For the NBC shows, do they make all episodes of the current season available? So if I subscribe in April will I have access to all episodes of the current season? Or do they make the episodes unavailable after a certain period of time?
Sorry for hijacking the YoutubeTV thread, I shouldn't have any questions/discussions about Hulu other than the question above.
Old 03-20-23, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No. NBC same day and past seasons have mostly all been removed from Hulu and moved to Peacock. This includes previous day of current season and previous seasons of all current shows.

The only things that really remain are shows that aired on NBC in the past 20 years that are owned by different studios, like My Name is Earl (produced by Fox) and Community (produced by Sony).
The following users liked this post:
sinned (03-20-23)
Old 03-21-23, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

From what I can tell, YoutubeTV is still the best value for what I need, even at the new price: the service is rock solid, the interface is excellent, the channel lineup is great (minus no regional sports networks, but that's a whole dumpster fire that's not really their problem), customizable guide, unlimited DVR, the convenience to be able to watch on any device even when traveling. I'd really like to move away from a Google product if there's something better, but I don't think there is at this point.

The only one I'm mildly considering is FuboTV because they do have my RSN now, but it's a few dollars more than the new YoutubeTV price for the base package and some of the features aren't as good. I still wish Playstation Vue didn't get killed. It was awesome.
Old 03-21-23, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

About regional sports channels.

Somehow they have NBC sports Philly. Both channels.
This is odd because not even Dtv was able to get that.

Maybe the nbc sports nets are the only one YTTV has?
Old 03-21-23, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

NBC Sports regionals seem to be more widely available. Hulu Live has NBC Sports Boston (Celtics) but not NESN (Rex Sox/Bruins).
Old 03-21-23, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Remember when this service started out at $35/month and a few others had similar pricing and some were proclaiming it's officially the death of cable?

$35/month was never sustainable for the long run since broadcast rights fees and programming fees keep going up. And what if they kept the local RSNs? The price would even be higher.
Just wait until Uber and Lyft raise their prices to actually sustainable levels (or replace all their drivers with robo cars)

Did Google/Alphabet ever split out the revenue for this so we can see how much they were losing?
Old 03-22-23, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Naw, they clump all their services - from Android to Chrome to YouTube and YouTube TV - together. In that field they had $67.8b in revenue, $21b in income in the last quarter of 2022.

Currently they pull in around $324m a month in revenue on YouTube TV but who knows what they pay for that.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-22-23 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-21-23, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My YTTV app on our roku tv has been doing a lot of stuttering.
I have to pause it for a second to get it back to being smooth.
Old 04-21-23, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
My YTTV app on our roku tv has been doing a lot of stuttering.
I have to pause it for a second to get it back to being smooth.
have you reset your modem?
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

When that happens to me on Hulu Live, restarting the media player usually does the trick.
DVD Talk Legend

No. Might be a tv issue. Doesn’t do it on the Firestick app downstairs.
Old 04-21-23, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’ve restarted the roku tv. Doesn’t help.
it seems to start after having the tv on for a little while.
The tv also freezes up occasionally but only when using the YTTV app.

Old 04-24-23, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Roku TVs are pretty under powered so that isn't a huge surprise. I'd just throw a Fire TV stick into it.
Old 04-24-23, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I don't recommend smart TVs for streaming. They're underpowered and the apps stop getting updated after a year or two. I would just get a roku stick if you like the roku interface. I still change them out after 2-3 years, but they're on sale for $30-35 every year around Black Friday.
Old 04-24-23, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is my wife’s tv she use’s while traveling and had no interest in doing Anything but turning it on and using it.

I have a firestick on it for myself.
Old 05-08-23, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm trying to hold off until the fall when football season starts. But if somehow The Lakers could somehow make it to the NBA Finals, all bets are off!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.