Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Paramount+ with Showtime - ViacomCBS streaming service

Old 06-24-24, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,971 Likes on 2,029 Posts
Re: Paramount+ with Showtime - ViacomCBS streaming service

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://deadline.com/2023/12/showtim...ng-1235661665/

The Showtime linear network (for those here who still have cable or satellite) will officially be re-branded "Paramount + with Showtime" on January 8th
I really don't follow what's going on here...

They renamed the premium cable network "Paramount+ with Showtime" but it's still just the same old Showtime and has very little, if any, actual Paramount+ content.

Someone I know who has DirecTV and a Showtime subscription was looking for the new Criminal Minds season and they are neither broadcasting it nor offering it on demand.
Old 06-24-24, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,912 Likes on 2,792 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

They renamed the premium cable network "Paramount+ with Showtime" but it's still just the same old Showtime and has very little, if any, actual Paramount+ content.

Someone I know who has DirecTV and a Showtime subscription was looking for the new Criminal Minds season and they are neither broadcasting it nor offering it on demand.
Because the new season of Criminal Minds is a Paramount+ original streaming series. Has nothing to do with Showtime.

It's confusing and I wouldn't explain it right if I tried.

Basically the Showtime linear network took the "Paramount+" name, but they don't have "Paramount+ or CBS" content. It's just "Showtime" content.

But, you can get a "Paramount+ with showtime" subscription that has everything or you can just have it with only "Paramount+ and CBS" content. See, makes sense right?

Last edited by DJariya; 06-24-24 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-24-24, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,971 Likes on 2,029 Posts

So, what, they basically just changed the name of their channel to "Paramount+" in order to promote their streaming service?

From a branding and marketing point of view, a lot of these decisions are really baffling. Renaming "Showtime" to "Paramount+ with Showtime" or renaming the biggest prestige brand in television, "HBO," "MAX."
Old 06-24-24, 03:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Showtime now runs Paramount+ programming on the Showtimes channels
Old 07-08-24, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk God

It doesn't sound like Skydance will shut down Paramount +, but they will make adjustments to make it more profitable. They are definitely going to be licensing out more content and not have it be stuck at Paramount+

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...m_term=6431290

As for Paramount+, cash flow will also be king.

“Our strategy is to focus on cash flow. I think we can be a little bit smarter about how we license content, and window content to generate more cash flow from the content that we’re putting on, as opposed to just putting everything blindly on Paramount+,” Shell says, adding that doing so “will get us to cash break even more rapidly.”

“But I don’t think it has to be turned around necessarily,” he continues. “We just think we want to take a bit of a fresh approach to it.”
Old 07-08-24, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,398 Likes on 950 Posts

They should. Basically keep first run content locked behind the P+ paywall. Then license out older more popular stuff and make money off of it. I am sure there are plenty of streaming platforms that would pay to have Top Gun: Maverick, Transformers or Sponge Bob on their service.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (07-08-24)
Old 07-08-24, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 348 Likes on 259 Posts

It would be nice to see Skydance step in and renew some of the exclusive series (like EVIL) that have gotten cancelled, but that seems unlikely, since they technically won't have control until 2025.
Old 07-09-24, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

They may not be shutting it down but having less exclusives (and that statement doesn't seem to preclude stuff not making it to Paramount + altogether) certainly isn't a great way to bolster the service.

Like it sounds like first run content is going to be elsewhere. In fact I thought this was already their strategy because I swear a ton of their stuff goes to Hulu really quickly (and they've licensed stuff out to Netflix recently)
Old 07-09-24, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig
They may not be shutting it down but having less exclusives (and that statement doesn't seem to preclude stuff not making it to Paramount + altogether) certainly isn't a great way to bolster the service.

Like it sounds like first run content is going to be elsewhere. In fact I thought this was already their strategy because I swear a ton of their stuff goes to Hulu really quickly (and they've licensed stuff out to Netflix recently)
The new movie "If" was just released on Paramount+ today

Right now their strategy for new movies seem to be to put it out on PVOD for a few weeks and then it makes it's way to Paramount+

I don't think I've seen any recent Paramount movies go to Hulu or Netflix. Maybe older titles.
Old 07-09-24, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
The new movie "If" was just released on Paramount+ today

Right now their strategy for new movies seem to be to put it out on PVOD for a few weeks and then it makes it's way to Paramount+

I don't think I've seen any recent Paramount movies go to Hulu or Netflix. Maybe older titles.
I think a lot of their titles go to Paramount Plus first but then within a month or two go to Prime video as part of some deal they have.
Old 07-09-24, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think a lot of their titles go to Paramount Plus first but then within a month or two go to Prime video as part of some deal they have.
Yes it's with Prime video and MGM+

Old 07-09-24, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Right, for stuff like Mission Impossible. But it makes P+ kind of superfluous to me since I already have Prime and the wait isn't too bad (I mainly get it because it was pretty cheap and because of Big Brother). Moving even more stuff off of it would make it even more superfluous, but again maybe that's just me.