Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-14, 08:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Bullshit, you said you refuse to even watch Netflix or any streaming service because the PQ is too low for your VHS/CED/laserdisc standards.
Old 04-04-14, 10:58 PM

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I have a friend who is on the development team for this and I'm really excited for him. However, our PS3 does exactly what we want it to do, in terms of streaming so I don't see us picking one up right now. We're Prime members and do a lot of Amazon purchases (video included) but I'm not quite seeing the added value for us at $99. I could see us maybe biting at $50 because I will say the PS3 remote control is ridiculously sensitive and it gets accidentally turned on a lot which isn't the end of the world but can be a real pain. Having a device like this would help us keep the PS3 for games and the remote control out of the reach of toddler hands easier.

We also only have one TV at the time. We really don't want one in the bedroom because we can see ourselves easily just lying there staring at bad TV for hours instead of going to sleep. But if the time comes we get a second TV, yeah, I could see us going the Amazon FireTV route.
Old 04-05-14, 06:43 PM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I'm hoping someone figures out a way to load XBMC. This thing's got decent hardware. It could become a nice box for local streaming. There's already a big thread in the XBMC Forum.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=191109
XBMC has updated their Wiki with info for Amazon Fire TV. They're still trying to get hardware video decoding working properly. If anyone wants to help them troubleshoot, there's instructions for installing XBMC to Fire TV.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV
Old 04-07-14, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Got mine hooked up yesterday...it does seem faster than my Roku, but not considerably so...maybe a couple of seconds at most.

It does have a pretty poor selection of apps right now and - as I guessed - Comcast is blocking use of the Showtime Anytime app (and they'll no doubt do the same with HBO GO if and when that gets added) - but that's no different than Roku.

Spend most of my time playing THE WALKING DEAD game, which ran very smoothly (although it took a good 15 minutes to download).
Old 04-07-14, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The sound on my receiver is up to date, but it doesn't have ARC so I have to use the optical output from my TV to get sound out of it, and Dolby Digital Plus has 'chirping' during any high notes when transcoded down to standard Dolby Digital. I've complained about it to Sharp, but they don't have any real technical people reading their mail so they haven't been any help. Was going to get a Roku for Netflix til I found out on those they break into the end credits of movies, which is totally unacceptable.
Any player with Post-play does that with Netflix, though I think you can turn that feature off now (though it may still put the credits into a smaller window unless you click it). Though the post-play feature is only available on the Roku 3 so far, Roku 1 and Roku 2 don't offer it yet and are stuck with the full credit sequences.
Old 04-07-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I bought a Roku last year (don't know if it's a 3 or some other number, I thought I was just buying a Roku), but I haven't installed it yet. (I dread reading instruction booklets.) I'm looking for something to watch YouTube and Amazon Instant Video on my home TV. What do people here recommend? Just set up the Roku and see if the damn thing works, i.e., does what I want it to do? Or forgetting it and getting a Fire TV device?

Simplicity of setup is a key factor here.

Thanks.
Old 04-07-14, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I bought a Roku last year (don't know if it's a 3 or some other number, I thought I was just buying a Roku), but I haven't installed it yet. (I dread reading instruction booklets.) I'm looking for something to watch YouTube and Amazon Instant Video on my home TV. What do people here recommend? Just set up the Roku and see if the damn thing works, i.e., does what I want it to do? Or forgetting it and getting a Fire TV device?

Thanks.
If it's the 3 it has you covered. In fact you can pull up a video on YouTube on your laptop or smartphone (if you have either) and play it straight to the Roku 3.
Old 04-07-14, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

Thanks.
They're going to be virtually identical setup-wise, and probably the easiest devices you've ever hooked up. It's a power cord and an HDMI cable. Enter your user name and password to connect to Wi-Fi. That's pretty much it, apart from setting up an account so you can add channels.

It you have a Roku 3 it'll have YouTube available. If it's an older model, YouTube is coming for it sometime soon.

I like the Roku because I get Amazon Prime and rent from Amazon, but have other rental services available as well, such as Target and Vudu.
Old 04-07-14, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the titles at http://fullmoonstreaming.com/ interest you, you'll want to get a Roku.
Old 04-10-14, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

So am I right in thinking this device, as of now, will not stream UV movies? To me that's a much bigger deal than even HBO Go.
Old 04-10-14, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So far it is far less buggy than streaming with the chromecast. Both Netflix & Hulu work great on it. My only gripe so far is the voice search does not work with Netflix; that almost makes the search feature worthless.
Old 04-10-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Decker
So am I right in thinking this device, as of now, will not stream UV movies? To me that's a much bigger deal than even HBO Go.
It has Flixster, so I don't know why it wouldn't.
Old 04-10-14, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Okay cool. I must have missed that one.
Old 04-10-14, 05:02 PM

If UV is important to you, get a device that has VUDU. Every other UV service is crap.

I don't know about Flixster on the FireTV. But on the Roku half the titles won't play, the menu sucks, and I'm pretty sure it's only SD-quality.
Old 04-11-14, 09:19 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

If UV is important to you, get a device that has VUDU. Every other UV service is crap.

I don't know about Flixster on the FireTV. But on the Roku half the titles won't play, the menu sucks, and I'm pretty sure it's only SD-quality.
Flixster BLOWS on the Roku. You are correct - SD quality and many things don't player. Vudu seems the play MOST titles, but I still have some TV Shows that just don't show up (Adventure Time for example).
Old 04-17-14, 08:18 PM

Amazon Fire TV’s Voice Search Gets New Partners
Hulu Plus, Crackle, and SHOWTIME ANYTIME enabling unified voice search starting this summer

Amazon today announced that Hulu Plus, Crackle, and SHOWTIME ANYTIME are joining VEVO in integrating their full catalogs into Fire TV’s unified voice search.

“We’re excited and energized by the momentum we’re seeing with Fire TV,” said Dave Limp, Vice President, Amazon Devices. “Customers are telling us they love it, developers are building for it, and we’re working hard to expand existing features and build new ones. We’re thrilled to have Hulu Plus, Crackle, and SHOWTIME integrating their full selection of movies and TV shows into Fire TV’s unified voice search.”

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ama...ers-2014-04-17
Old 04-18-14, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

They need to add voice search to Netflix.
Old 04-22-14, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Broke down and got one. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Used it for 2 hours just because it was such fun to use. It's so awesome to be able to search for any music video and be watching it in seconds. It always understands what I say and I have an accent. Once it gets Vudu I can't see myself using the Roku any longer, and I'll probably disconnect it. The interface just works and it feels very intuitive.

I keep on pressing the button, releasing, and then talking Planning on getting the controller also.
Old 04-23-14, 02:20 AM

Netflix voice search for Amazon Fire TV “later this year”

Netflix will enable voice search on Amazon's Fire TV later this year if all goes to plan, the company has quietly confirmed today. Revealed as part of the firm's financial results for Q1 2014, the news comes alongside the expansion of Netflix streaming on select set-top boxes offered by US cable companies.

Voice search was one of the highlight features of Amazon's set-top box - find out more in our full review - proving to be far more user-friendly than on-screen keyboards. Amazon uses a Bluetooth-connected remote with a built-in microphone.

However, the system is very much Amazon Instant Video-centric, and launched without support for Netflix or other services. Amazon announced that Hulu Plus, Crackle, and Showtime support would be added over the summer, but Netflix was still conspicuous by its absence.

FULL ARTICLE - http://www.slashgear.com/netflix-voi...year-21325985/
Old 04-23-14, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a feeling it's just a matter of time until Vudu gets on Fire TV.

Honestly the voice search with YouTube is awesome. I bike a lot indoors (and soon run too once I get the treadmill set up) and use a streaming device A LOT. Music Videos get me through the tough times There's no workout I can't push through with Lady Gaga's Applause.
Old 04-23-14, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I have a feeling it's just a matter of time until Vudu gets on Fire TV.
Actually, I'd be surprised if they add Vudu. Unlike the Netflix subscription service, Vudu is direct competition to the Amazon Instant Video store. I think that's why there isn't a Vudu app on the Kindle Fire.
Old 04-23-14, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Actually, I'd be surprised if they add Vudu. Unlike the Netflix subscription service, Vudu is direct competition to the Amazon Instant Video store. I think that's why there isn't a Vudu app on the Kindle Fire.
Well, if they're going to start being like Apple TV when it comes to which apps they approve/disapprove, Roku will continue to dominate the box top market.

After about a month of owning my Fire TV, about all I'm using it for is games. I was really hoping they'd go the Roku route with apps (kind of a anything and everything approach), but it looks like they're going to be picky about everything that gets added to their system.
Old 04-23-14, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Big news for Prime members. Starting May 21 HBO will release their catalog titles for members. Articles states pretty much everything older than three years will be available.

http://gizmodo.com/hbo-is-bringing-a...1566504724/all
Old 04-23-14, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

??????????????? Awesomeness!!!! I've always liked HBO programming but have never had HBO.

"The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Six Feet Under, Rome, Eastbown & Down, Enlightened, and Flight of the Conchords; and select seasons of Boardwalk Empire, True Blood, and Treme."

The Wire, The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, and Rome were on my To Watch list. Also True Blood and Treme and I guess eventually the whole seasons will be there. This is just fantastic.
Old 04-23-14, 09:59 AM

Fantastic news, a few of them I have on DVD, a few of them will be added post haste to my watch list.

Where is Curb Your Enthusiasm?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.