Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Plex

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-22, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Re: Plex

I just use them for the occasional movie on their free service.
Old 08-24-22, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
They claim the passwords are salted and hashed but you should go ahead and change them anyway. And generally speaking when it comes to them, don't use one you use on other sites.
Generally speaking for everything don't use one you use on other sites unless you don't care of it gets hacked...
Old 08-24-22, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Kind of a pain getting my server working again after changing my password. Thankfully, there were several helpful reddit posts that explained what to do. Now to update all of the devices that access plex.
Old 08-25-22, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I'm glad someone bumped this thread as I had a couple of questions.

Does anyone here do 3D? If so, how do you handle it with Plex? Do you convert the 3D to SBS, use a media player, something else? I've got a number of 3D Blu-rays but unsure how to get the files to play independent of a Blu-ray player.

Also, it's time for me to add new hard drives to my server for the first time since setting it up, and I'm seriously nervous about it. I know the new drives will need to be formatted. Pretty easy to do and add it to my existing server space? I'm paranoid about accidentally deleting stuff or formatting the wrong drive.
Old 08-25-22, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

What hardware are you using for 3d? I have a Zidoo and just use their built in software. I could never get Plex to display 3d and stopped trying.
Old 08-25-22, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by John Galt
What hardware are you using for 3d? I have a Zidoo and just use their built in software. I could never get Plex to display 3d and stopped trying.
I realized quickly Roku wouldn't do the trick. Then I have been trying to use my desktop computer, but I've since found out that most newer graphics cards don't support 3D. I've been trying to figure out an alternative. I'll look into Zidoo.
Old 08-26-22, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After some temporary difficulties, I was finally able to figure out how to expand my storage pool. But it's going to take like 2 days to finish migrating everything.
Old 08-30-22, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt
I was considering building my own media player PC to run ISOs of my discs from a NAS until I heard of Zidoo. Unfortunately, I can't tell which model is right for me. Yes, I wanna play all my 4K, 3D BD, and BDs from a NAS but I don't want to get the fanciest model if one of their lower tiers will suffice. Sadly, I could never find a comparison chart of the different models. Just their individual product pages which kinda skew the same, minus a few differences I might spot here and there.
Old 09-01-22, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I was able to find the answer to my own question.

I'll be ordering the Zidoo Z1000 Pro, rather than the UDH3000.
​​​​
Old 09-02-22, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's really annoying when Plex won't read a movie. I've got two now that just don't show up at all. I guess I'll need to play around more with it.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I was able to find the answer to my own question.

https://youtu.be/g9qR1Q8rPbs

I'll be ordering the Zidoo Z1000 Pro, rather than the UDH3000.
​​​​
After just looking up the prices, I think you made the right call.
Old 09-02-22, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
It's really annoying when Plex won't read a movie. I've got two now that just don't show up at all. I guess I'll need to play around more with it.

After just looking up the prices, I think you made the right call.
They don't show up even if you view by folder, or they don't get indexed and recognized?
Old 09-02-22, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
They don't show up even if you view by folder, or they don't get indexed and recognized?
They don't show up at all. There are folders with video files, but they don't appear at all within Plex. It's like the folders aren't there. I wouldn't mind if the folder popped up but Plex didn't know how to match it. At least it would be there!
Old 09-02-22, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Not to state the obvious, but have you manually done a 'Scan Library Files' ?

And, presumably the format is the same as other files you can see, or at least a supported format?
Old 09-02-22, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by andicus
Not to state the obvious, but have you manually done a 'Scan Library Files' ?

And, presumably the format is the same as other files you can see, or at least a supported format?
Scan library files, analyze files, refresh meta data ... tried all of those. They are the same files produced through makemkv that all the others are that show up.
Old 09-02-22, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you have more than one server?

I have a server on my PC, and also one running on my Synology NAS.

That throws me, now and then, because some of my content is duplicated.

I'm still pretty new to this, so always seem to be running into one strangeness or another. It took a while to get things running, again, after the recommended password update.

Edit: One other thing... you said they were produced through makemkv, but were their original sources the same, as well? MKV is a container, so it's possible to have a different codec, and possibly one that's not supported.
Old 09-02-22, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you have more than one server?

I have a server on my PC, and also one running on my Synology NAS.

That throws me, now and then, because some of my content is duplicated.

I'm still pretty new to this, so always seem to be running into one strangeness or another. It took a while to get things running, again, after the recommended password update.

Edit: One other thing... you said they were produced through makemkv, but were their original sources the same, as well? MKV is a container, so it's possible to have a different codec, and possibly one that's not supported.
Only one server. These folders are sitting right next to the other folders being read. One title is a UHD, and the other is a movie from the Andy Milligan set. I've not had any previous issues with UHDs I've backed up. As for the Milligan, the other movie pulled from the same disc shows up fine.

I think Plex mainly looks for a file in the folder. If there's an unsupported codec, I would think Plex would log the film into your collection but be unable to play it. I mean, films show up as soon as they start ripping, not when they're confirmed to be able to be played. So, I think you can have a corrupt, incomplete or unsupported file in there; it just won't play. My file will play just fine on my computer - Plex just doesn't see it.

It's not the first time something like this happens, but I can usually get it to work. And then there's one file that I couldn't get to match correctly. So, I kept trying to update the file and folder names to get it matched, and now it won't even show up. So, it's not a codec thing. Plex is just weird sometimes.
Old 09-02-22, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I initially thought that, too (that Plex would show, but not be able to play the content). Something I read made me question whether that was the case.

As a test, I would copy an existing/working file to a different filename, in the same folder that's not working.

See if that then shows up. If so, it would appear that it's content related.

And I agree, Plex is definitely weird, at times. Great when it works, though.
Old 09-02-22, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I initially thought that, too (that Plex would show, but not be able to play the content). Something I read made me question whether that was the case.

As a test, I would copy an existing/working file to a different filename, in the same folder that's not working.

See if that then shows up. If so, it would appear that it's content related.

And I agree, Plex is definitely weird, at times. Great when it works, though.
So, again, you're saying it's a content issue when other content pulled from the same disc shows up fine? And the file that I mentioned that used to show up but no longer does ... I guess I somehow changed the codec for that, too?
Old 09-02-22, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just suggesting a troubleshooting method, and that 'if' that pans out (i.e. the renamed file then shows up), it would appear that it's content related. I.e. same name, different content.

I missed the part about the file that no longer shows up. Did you rename it to the original folder/name, and it still doesn't show up?

Edit: I'm even confusing myself, re-reading that. What I'm saying is change one thing. In this case, the name/location of a known working file. If that works, it would appear that it's the content causing the issue, for some reason.
Not to be confused with the second case, you mentioned, where the once working file now doesn't show up.
Old 09-02-22, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm just suggesting a troubleshooting method, and that 'if' that pans out (i.e. the renamed file then shows up), it would appear that it's content related. I.e. same name, different content.

I missed the part about the file that no longer shows up. Did you rename it to the original folder/name, and it still doesn't show up?

Edit: I'm even confusing myself, re-reading that. What I'm saying is change one thing. In this case, the name/location of a known working file. If that works, it would appear that it's the content causing the issue, for some reason.
Not to be confused with the second case, you mentioned, where the once working file now doesn't show up.
Thanks for the suggestion. It's not a content issue.

Does anyone else have any ideas?
Old 09-02-22, 09:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Really no idea. What a strange thing.

The only experience I've had that's remotely similar (and only a little bit) is that sometimes Plex thinks two different movies are actually the same movie, so when I add the second file to my database, it seems like nothing shows up at all. Somehow (I can't remember...) I managed to figure out which movie it thought it was and I could then 'split' the two files into two separate entries, then fix the one that was erroneously cataloged.

But in your case... I dunno. super weird.
Old 09-02-22, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
They don't show up at all. There are folders with video files, but they don't appear at all within Plex. It's like the folders aren't there. I wouldn't mind if the folder popped up but Plex didn't know how to match it. At least it would be there!
It's probably matching to another movie that's in your collection or otherwise just glitching. I'd rename the folder/files to something polar opposite and then manually match it with the proper title.

IE: Remove the folder/files, rescan, rename folder/files and copy them back to your Plex folder, rescan
Old 09-06-22, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Does the folder and file start with a period or ellipsis "." or "..."?" I had a problem with things like "...And Justice for All" not showing up, and it was due to the period at the beginning. Apparently some file systems ignore files that start with periods.
Old 09-06-22, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts

Just to confirm, are you using the Admin account, and not an acct that does not have access to that particular library?

And, I found this on Reddit (from 4 years ago) -
The fix: remove the movie to a folder outside of the Plex library. Then run a manual library scan/update. Then move the movie back and scan/update again.

Old 09-08-22, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
It's probably matching to another movie that's in your collection or otherwise just glitching. I'd rename the folder/files to something polar opposite and then manually match it with the proper title.

IE: Remove the folder/files, rescan, rename folder/files and copy them back to your Plex folder, rescan
Originally Posted by mndtrp
Does the folder and file start with a period or ellipsis "." or "..."?" I had a problem with things like "...And Justice for All" not showing up, and it was due to the period at the beginning. Apparently some file systems ignore files that start with periods.
I was able to get the UHD working. It turns out I had already ripped the Blu-ray but had a typo in the title, which is why it didn't show up when I searched on my computer and wasn't showing as a new addition on Plex.

The other title still won't show up. I've basically given up on it. It dosn't have a title with any weird punctuation or resemble any other title in my collection. The movie is Fiend with the Electronic Brain. Not many similar titles.

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Just to confirm, are you using the Admin account, and not an acct that does not have access to that particular library?

And, I found this on Reddit (from 4 years ago) -
The fix: remove the movie to a folder outside of the Plex library. Then run a manual library scan/update. Then move the movie back and scan/update again.
If I wasn't using an admin account, how would I be able to add anything at all? Besides, I'm the one who created the account. And I've done the Plex dance many times. That's always the first thing to try when something isn't being picked up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.