Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Roku Thread

Old 05-26-19, 09:58 AM

Re: The Roku Thread

Originally Posted by whotony View Post

looks like this app has been around for three years or so now.
Theres a login button but I can’t figure out where to register.
the website gives me an unsecure message.
In Chrome when I visit simetv.com I see it's showing secure. I just don't want to spend $10 /month. (Now I see a free option but still snooping around on the site)

Last edited by rduncan; 05-26-19 at 10:00 AM. Reason: added correction
Old 05-26-19, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson View Post
I don't know if this still works https://support.roku.com/article/208756898-my-feed

EDIT: Looks like for Movies, you can do it right from My Feed, but for TV, you have to search for and choose the season, then Unfollow.
That did it, thanks! I didn't realize Movies and TV shows were treated differently.
Old 05-26-19, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
In Chrome when I visit simetv.com I see it's showing secure. I just don't want to spend $10 /month. (Now I see a free option but still snooping around on the site)
What's the benefit of registration? I have a Roku 3 and it only streams SD. Could registration unlock HD.
Old 05-26-19, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got two Streaming Stick+'s in the house. Bought from different places so their remotes are different.
I have to reconnect or resync one of their remotes probably once a week. It's really annoying. Has anyone else had this problem? I did recently change the batteries, put new good ones in, so it shouldn't be that.
Old 06-01-19, 09:43 PM

Keep an eye on the Roku side ads. There's a new $4.99 FandangoNow Rental Credit offer. It's from Amica.
Old 06-03-19, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A quick question on ROKU hardware. I have an older unit that I only occasionally use, mostly for baseball. But if I haven't used it in a couple of days, the unit will literally reboot about five minutes into the program for presumably a firmware update. After seeing the flashing light for about a minute while it presumably downloads the update, it then reboots me to the main menu.

This happens without fail pretty often. Can someone please tell me why ROKU would force trigger firmware updates in the middle of watching something? It's the dumbest choice possible for a consumer device. I leave the thing powered on all the time, why it would wait for me to watch something for an update?
Old 06-03-19, 09:20 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
A quick question on ROKU hardware. I have an older unit that I only occasionally use, mostly for baseball. But if I haven't used it in a couple of days, the unit will literally reboot about five minutes into the program for presumably a firmware update. After seeing the flashing light for about a minute while it presumably downloads the update, it then reboots me to the main menu.

This happens without fail pretty often. Can someone please tell me why ROKU would force trigger firmware updates in the middle of watching something? It's the dumbest choice possible for a consumer device. I leave the thing powered on all the time, why it would wait for me to watch something for an update?
Canít answer, but probably related:

Iíve noticed my RokuTV often does forced reboots, maybe 45-90 seconds after I first turn it on, usually just as Iíve opened an app, picked something, and the program begins. Works fine the rest of the session the TV is turned on, itís just that initial boot-up. Maybe every fourth time, so like once a week.

Not sure if my TV is faulty or itís doing what your device is doing.
Old 06-03-19, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post

Next time you power it up, go into the menu and locate the item to check for updates and run it manually. You may see some sort of error message about "failed" or similar. Perhaps, if it is an update, it will run to completion and end your issue.

I had an older model that would seem to overheat and freeze/reboot but not as consistently as you described.
Old 06-15-19, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Looks like SiMe TV has removed all the free streams via the Roku channel. It seems now to be a $9.99/mo subscription service to activate any channels.
Old 06-15-19, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by b2net View Post
Looks like SiMe TV has removed all the free streams via the Roku channel. It seems now to be a $9.99/mo subscription service to activate any channels.
I noticed that but thought it was something with my registration. Decided too many other channels to bother so removed it from my device.
Old 06-15-19, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Roku 3 at my parents got fried so I replaced it with one of the $25 Roku Express players. Works better than I expected all things considered, solid choice for a replacement especially if you have an IR programmable remote (ie: Logitech Harmony). Comes with a piece of double sided tape to attach it to TV/TV Stand/Other as well.