Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Roku Thread

Old 05-26-19, 09:58 AM

Re: The Roku Thread

Originally Posted by whotony View Post

looks like this app has been around for three years or so now.
Theres a login button but I can’t figure out where to register.
the website gives me an unsecure message.
In Chrome when I visit simetv.com I see it's showing secure. I just don't want to spend $10 /month. (Now I see a free option but still snooping around on the site)

Last edited by rduncan; 05-26-19 at 10:00 AM. Reason: added correction
Old 05-26-19, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson View Post
I don't know if this still works https://support.roku.com/article/208756898-my-feed

EDIT: Looks like for Movies, you can do it right from My Feed, but for TV, you have to search for and choose the season, then Unfollow.
That did it, thanks! I didn't realize Movies and TV shows were treated differently.
Old 05-26-19, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
In Chrome when I visit simetv.com I see it's showing secure. I just don't want to spend $10 /month. (Now I see a free option but still snooping around on the site)
What's the benefit of registration? I have a Roku 3 and it only streams SD. Could registration unlock HD.
Old 05-26-19, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got two Streaming Stick+'s in the house. Bought from different places so their remotes are different.
I have to reconnect or resync one of their remotes probably once a week. It's really annoying. Has anyone else had this problem? I did recently change the batteries, put new good ones in, so it shouldn't be that.
Old 06-01-19, 09:43 PM

Keep an eye on the Roku side ads. There's a new $4.99 FandangoNow Rental Credit offer. It's from Amica.
Old 06-03-19, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A quick question on ROKU hardware. I have an older unit that I only occasionally use, mostly for baseball. But if I haven't used it in a couple of days, the unit will literally reboot about five minutes into the program for presumably a firmware update. After seeing the flashing light for about a minute while it presumably downloads the update, it then reboots me to the main menu.

This happens without fail pretty often. Can someone please tell me why ROKU would force trigger firmware updates in the middle of watching something? It's the dumbest choice possible for a consumer device. I leave the thing powered on all the time, why it would wait for me to watch something for an update?
Old 06-03-19, 09:20 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
A quick question on ROKU hardware. I have an older unit that I only occasionally use, mostly for baseball. But if I haven't used it in a couple of days, the unit will literally reboot about five minutes into the program for presumably a firmware update. After seeing the flashing light for about a minute while it presumably downloads the update, it then reboots me to the main menu.

This happens without fail pretty often. Can someone please tell me why ROKU would force trigger firmware updates in the middle of watching something? It's the dumbest choice possible for a consumer device. I leave the thing powered on all the time, why it would wait for me to watch something for an update?
Canít answer, but probably related:

Iíve noticed my RokuTV often does forced reboots, maybe 45-90 seconds after I first turn it on, usually just as Iíve opened an app, picked something, and the program begins. Works fine the rest of the session the TV is turned on, itís just that initial boot-up. Maybe every fourth time, so like once a week.

Not sure if my TV is faulty or itís doing what your device is doing.
Old 06-03-19, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post

Next time you power it up, go into the menu and locate the item to check for updates and run it manually. You may see some sort of error message about "failed" or similar. Perhaps, if it is an update, it will run to completion and end your issue.

I had an older model that would seem to overheat and freeze/reboot but not as consistently as you described.
Old 06-15-19, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like SiMe TV has removed all the free streams via the Roku channel. It seems now to be a $9.99/mo subscription service to activate any channels.
Old 06-15-19, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by b2net View Post
Looks like SiMe TV has removed all the free streams via the Roku channel. It seems now to be a $9.99/mo subscription service to activate any channels.
I noticed that but thought it was something with my registration. Decided too many other channels to bother so removed it from my device.
Old 06-15-19, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Roku 3 at my parents got fried so I replaced it with one of the $25 Roku Express players. Works better than I expected all things considered, solid choice for a replacement especially if you have an IR programmable remote (ie: Logitech Harmony). Comes with a piece of double sided tape to attach it to TV/TV Stand/Other as well.
Old 06-20-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

There are 2 $4.99 FandangoNow rental credits in ads on Roku. One of them is sponsored by Star Wars Galaxy's Edge.

I got both of them and they are only for rentals. You cannot top them off each other to buy a movie. And it only works as 2 separate rentals.

I used them to rent Greta and Fighting with my family.
Old 06-20-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
There are 2 $4.99 FandangoNow rental credits in ads on Roku. One of them is sponsored by Star Wars Galaxy's Edge.

I got both of them and they are only for rentals. You cannot top them off each other to buy a movie. And it only works as 2 separate rentals.

I used them to rent Greta and Fighting with my family.
It is unfortunate these don't work towards purchases this time. I've used them in the past to get some deal of the day titles.
Old 06-22-19, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Locast Launches Its Free Live TV Service in Los Angeles & San Francisco

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/loca...san-francisco/

Anyone still using Locast? I ended up deleting it. But I keep seeing mixed reports. Some people say you can't watch unless you donate, others say it works fine. My last experience before I deleted, was it was unwatchable because it shut off asking for donations every 15 min. You had to go back to the guide and start it back up again. When it first came out, I could watch for hours with hardly a glitch (barely an inconvenience...).

I have to go out and do some yard work so I'm going to leave it running. But it's been running for about 15 min on the website, and 5-10 on Roku so far.

I also saw in the comments someone mention www.fitzytv.com a cloud based DVR, and they said you can link your locast acct to it. Anyone use this DVR? Reviews?
Old 06-22-19, 12:10 PM

There's a new rental service called ROW8. They have a very limited selection of movies. And prices are the same as other VOD services ($5.99 new releases, $3.99 recent releases, $1.99 catalog titles). But they have numerous discounts that might make it worthwhile to frequent renters.

$2 Off your first rental
$1 Off all rentals between Midnight to 3pm.
$1 Off all New Release rentals on Tuesdays.
If you don't like the movie, you can swap it for another movie at no extra charge.

https://row8.com/
https://channelstore.roku.com/details/243290/row8
Old 07-24-19, 10:57 PM

Roku is testing its own Wi-Fi extender to improve streaming reliability

Roku is making a Wi-Fi extender called the Roku Relay, which is meant to improve wireless connections inside a home and improve reliability while streaming. The device, which has not yet been announced, is currently in testing with users outside the company, a person familiar with the tests tells The Verge.

The Relay is a small white gadget that plugs into a power outlet and rests alongside the wall. Instructions show that it’s meant to be used with Roku devices to improve their Wi-Fi connection; it isn’t stated whether other devices can be connected to it, too. The product is seemingly being marketed as an extension of Roku players, with the manual directing people to install the Relay halfway between their router and TV.

FULL ARTICLE - https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/24/2...r-leak-testing
Old 07-31-19, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I know Locast has been mentioned in a few threads, but I'll put this here:

https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...st-1203286487/
Old 08-07-19, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/31/2...bc-cbs-fox-nbc

Locast is being sued by all the major networks for copyright infringement.

FOX's CEO is calling them a rogue streaming service

https://deadline.com/2019/08/fox-ceo...ll-1202663836/

I think they're heading in the same direction as that other rogue service Aero that got shut down.

I do think it's funny that AT&T is supporting them during this feud with CBS and telling customers to use them.
Old 08-18-19, 02:41 AM

Roku is accepting applications for new Beta testers:

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/roku...eta-testers-2/
Old 08-18-19, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Went to that page. Their link doesn’t seem to take me anyowhere but the regular Roku page.
Old 08-18-19, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok I see it. Do at the bottom. In all the other links.
Old 08-18-19, 06:23 AM

Here's the link to the beta test application:

https://www.roku.com/betatesting
Old 08-18-19, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I signed up for it. Has anyone done it before? It’s pretty extensive, the sign up stuff.
Old 08-18-19, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Can someone with a Roku check on this for me : Is there still a way to list My Movies on VUDU while limiting to PG and Under titles like this one in the browser:

We definitely used to have one on my office Roku but now it seems to be gone and ALL my movies were suddenly being listed. I don't want my staff scrolling past R rated horror flicks to get to the next Disney title to play for the Waiting Room.
I can sort by Genre for Family but a lot of kids animated movies don't show up that way for some reason.
Old 08-18-19, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

Under parental controls, there is a "Playback Rating" that you can set to PG or whatever.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.