Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 11-21-16, 01:53 PM   #851
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Roku Thread

Thanks Dave!
Old 11-23-16, 03:53 PM   #852

Quick Roku question. Is there any way to enter a wireless WPA key other than manually entering it on a roku Express (or Express +)?? My wi-fi network uses a 504bit (that's 63 character) password and on my roku2 XS I have difficulty entering it fully so use a wired connection. Express + does not have wired Ethernet and I suspect it does not use WPS. My Roku 2 XS is having issues so will probably get the Express + from Walmart tomorrow for $25 to replace it. Thanks in advance,
Old 11-23-16, 06:52 PM   #853
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
My Roku 2 XS is having issues
Our Roku 2 XS is having reboot issues when there are some commercials...

What issues are you having?

And thought of upgrading as well... Thought about the Roku 3 for $50 from Best Buy.. but wasn't sure if it will be much of an improvement... and if not an improvement... just biting the bullet and going for an Ultra...

Choices..
Old 11-24-16, 09:20 AM   #854

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2net View Post
Our Roku 2 XS is having reboot issues when there are some commercials...

What issues are you having?

And thought of upgrading as well... Thought about the Roku 3 for $50 from Best Buy.. but wasn't sure if it will be much of an improvement... and if not an improvement... just biting the bullet and going for an Ultra...

Choices..
Mine seems to freeze and reboot mostly during YouTube vids but freezing and finally a reboot has been happening more often and on other channels (PBS for one). I bought it as a refurbished model a few years ago and decided I wanted to replace as cheaply as I could so just ordered the Express + for $25 from Walmart.com Chose free shipping so expected on 12/7. There have been multiple message threads on various sites about the XS having overheating issues but mine flakes out at any time and not only when running for extended periods. A complete reset failed to resolve the issue.
Old 11-24-16, 10:15 AM   #855

Quote:
Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
Mine seems to freeze and reboot mostly during YouTube vids but freezing and finally a reboot has been happening more often and on other channels (PBS for one). I bought it as a refurbished model a few years ago and decided I wanted to replace as cheaply as I could so just ordered the Express + for $25 from Walmart.com Chose free shipping so expected on 12/7. There have been multiple message threads on various sites about the XS having overheating issues but mine flakes out at any time and not only when running for extended periods. A complete reset failed to resolve the issue.
Never had the overheat issue... Basically ours does the lockup and then either returns to main screen or reboots on YouTube nd also during commercials when watching CW, and FOXNOW. Doesn't happen all the time but often enough to be very irritating.. My concern is if it is an OS issue, then possibly a replacement may not solve the issue.. Still tempted on the Roku 3 for $50...
Old 12-13-16, 05:37 PM   #856
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Check your ROKU emails, got one for $5 VUDU credit.

Subject: You'll appreciate this: FREE movies, TV episodes, playlists & more!

(screenshot of Scrooged movie)

Thanks for being a cherished member of the Roku family! Whatever your holiday tradition, we know you'll make it streaming fabulous with plenty to keep you rapt by the fire as we wind down the year. With this a heaping serving of FREE content (which includes a hilarious holiday-themed Simpsons episode, festive playlists, Christmas-themed movies and much more... see list below!), we wish you the very best and brightest for 2017.

Redeem your $5 movie rental code from VUDU on vudu.com/moviecredits and watch on your Roku® streaming player. Click here for 12 days of holiday movie suggestions!
Old 12-13-16, 07:20 PM   #857
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Got one too, thanks beer man!
Old 12-31-16, 05:11 PM   #858

I received the Roku Streaming Stick as a present from my Aunt for Christmas and I really like it so far. I had a Roku HD previously that was 3-4 years old and Netflix was acting up on it (stuttering and glitching), but Hulu and Amazon worked fine. The HD used the older version of the Netflix interface. I'm really excited to have the stick. It loads really fast and I like having the new Netflix interface. The Youtube channel works really well on it too with just using the remote. It was really slow on my older Roku and I had to link my iPad to it to get it to work better.
Old 01-31-17, 05:46 PM   #859

Well, this sorta took forever...now available as a beta:

Xfinity TV app for select Roku devices begins beta trial

https://blog.roku.com/blog/2017/01/3...trial/#content

Today we are releasing a beta of the Xfinity TV app for Roku in the U.S., providing Xfinity TV customers across the country even more choice in how they access the programming that is included with their cable subscription.

Featuring an immersive guide with rich graphics, imagery, personalized recommendations and detailed information for tens of thousands of movies and TV shows, the app will allow Xfinity TV customers to watch live and on demand programming, including local broadcast and Public Educational and Governmental channels, as well as their cloud DVR recordings, delivered over Comcast’s secure private managed network, on Roku devices in the home.

The Xfinity TV beta app gives customers the ability to use and explore the beta Roku channel while Comcast continues to test and improve performance, enhance it with additional features and functionality, and refine the experience to ensure that the app works smoothly. To enjoy the Xfinity TV beta app on the Roku platform, simply add it from the Roku Channel Store. Initially, the Xfinity TV beta app will be available on Roku TV models and all Roku players released in the last couple years including the popular Roku Express, Roku Express+, Roku Streaming Stick (model 3600), Roku Premiere, Roku Premiere+, Roku Ultra, Roku 4 (model 4400), Roku 3 (model 4230 and 4200), and Roku 2 (model 4210). We will work to expand support to additional Roku players throughout the beta as part of the official launch.

We plan to officially launch the Xfinity TV app later this year, but for now we can’t wait for people to try it out and enjoy more choice and flexibility in accessing their Xfinity cable subscription on their Roku device. Your feedback is important during this beta trial and you will be helping the Comcast team improve the experience. To learn more about the Xfinity TV app for Roku and provide feedback, visit www.xfinity.com/xfinitytvbeta.

Happy Viewing!
Old 02-02-17, 03:04 PM   #860

I tried using the xfinity app today on my roku stick and it made it crash twice. When it was working, the picture quality of the Channels that I watched (Fox Sports 1 and AMC) looked good.
Old 02-02-17, 03:40 PM   #861
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Charter just upgraded their app and I am now getting just about all their channels on Roku. Missing MeTV and CBC Ch. 9 Windsor among others but the quality is 100 times better than Direct TV Now.

It doesn't work well with first generation Roku's and they recommend Roku 3. However, I have 2 2015 Roku TV's and neither one will play the Epix Movie app while my Roku 1's play it with no problem.
Old 02-02-17, 04:08 PM   #862
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Interested in the Xfinity Roku app. We only have one cable box, and it's currently on the same TV as the Roku. It'll be nice to have the option of "regular TV" on the upstairs set.
Old 02-02-17, 07:15 PM   #863
DVD Talk Hero

It looks like Comcast wants to levy a $7.50/month fee to use the Roku app, just like the use of CableCARDs.

Scumbags.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/02/co...set-top-boxes/
Old 02-03-17, 12:03 PM   #864

Stream Super Bowl LI for FREE

On February 5th, the Patriots and the Falcons battle to raise the Lombardi trophy in Houston... and you can stream it in real time on FOX Sports GO. Typically, you need a PAY TV subscription for this channel but on Super Bowl Sunday all the big game action is free on your Roku streaming device.

https://channelstore.roku.com/detail.../fox-sports-go
Old 02-14-17, 09:31 AM   #865
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just bought a Roku a few days ago (the 2016 $50 version) for a smaller TV upstairs. I have a Samsung Smart TV downstairs with an Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, Chromecast, and probably more I'm missing, but the Roku is a lot more fun to use. The private channel thing is awesome, as I can now watch NHK World without casting my phone to my screen.
Old 03-05-17, 02:26 AM   #866

The new Sci-Fi TV channel Comet has a Roku app. It plays a live stream. No authentication required.

If you hit the * button, you'll get a schedule for the next 2 weeks. Looks like they air a lot of classic Sci-Fi & Horror movies. I also see there's MST3K and ROH wrestling.

http://www.comettv.com/
https://channelstore.roku.com/details/140565/comet-tv
Old 03-05-17, 07:45 AM   #867
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome, I'll check that out.
Old 03-16-17, 05:03 PM   #868

I'm still running a Roku 2 XD from 2012. Thinking of upgrading to the Premiere for the improved wireless and faster processor. Worth the upgrade for those in the know?
Old 03-16-17, 05:09 PM   #869
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
I'm still running a Roku 2 XD from 2012. Thinking of upgrading to the Premiere for the improved wireless and faster processor. Worth the upgrade for those in the know?
I just bought a Premiere a few months ago to replace an old Roku 2.

On the plus, things load faster. But wait...

There are some known sync issues on Netflix/Amazon with the Premiere - try googling that or go to the Roku forum. It's kind of a mess. The sync issues can be corrected by dumbing down to 2.0, which is sort of major beef if you ask me.

On a side note there are now HUGE problems with the Spotify channel on Roku, so if you use that avoid Roku for now. Again - Spotify forums are chock full of reports of problems with no sign of resolution.
Old 03-16-17, 10:12 PM   #870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointyskull View Post
I just bought a Premiere a few months ago to replace an old Roku 2.

On the plus, things load faster. But wait...

There are some known sync issues on Netflix/Amazon with the Premiere - try googling that or go to the Roku forum. It's kind of a mess. The sync issues can be corrected by dumbing down to 2.0, which is sort of major beef if you ask me.

On a side note there are now HUGE problems with the Spotify channel on Roku, so if you use that avoid Roku for now. Again - Spotify forums are chock full of reports of problems with no sign of resolution.
Bummer, thanks for the reply. I primarily use it to access Netflix and Amazon content. I don't want to jump through hoops to get things working as they should. Might hold off on this for now.
Old 05-15-17, 08:11 PM   #871

Just got another $5 VUDU credit from ROKU email.
Sub: Celebrate National Streaming Day with free entertainment!

Offer valid through 5/31 and must be used within 7 days of redemption.
Old 05-16-17, 08:57 AM   #872

I don't seem to be getting these VUDU coupons at all...
Old 05-16-17, 10:59 AM   #873
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My Roku/Vudu coupon came in pretty late last night, so keep checking.
Old 05-16-17, 08:55 PM   #874

Still nothing. Not in junk folder nor auto deleted. Sadly, I doubt I am on the list for those offers...
Old 05-17-17, 10:13 AM   #875
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson View Post
Just got another $5 VUDU credit from ROKU email.
Sub: Celebrate National Streaming Day with free entertainment!

Offer valid through 5/31 and must be used within 7 days of redemption.
Guess I better redeem mine fast then. Didn't see that I only had 7 days to use it after I redeemed the credit.