Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Roku Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-14, 06:10 PM

Received 543 Likes on 387 Posts
Re: The Roku Thread

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
So far I have YouTube, Netflix and Amaze Streaming going....

Any other suggestions, sites, tips, etc??
These all require a subscription.

If you like Anime check out Crunchyroll and FUNimation. Both services offer 100's of shows, including stuff that's currently airing in Japan.

If you like British Mysteries/Dramas, check out AcornTV. This is a great way to watch these shows. The DVD sets are so expensive.

And if you watch Pro Wrestling you need to get the WWE Network. This channel is awesome. Tons of content. Live PPVs.

I also recommend the Instant Watch Browser For Netflix. It costs $3-$4. But if you have a Netflix subscription, you really need this. It'll help you find movies and see what's coming/expiring. There might be a Lite version you can try for free.
Old 04-03-14, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
For new owners who like baseball: if you sign up for a free account at MLB.com, you can link that to your Roku and get their "free game of the day" (in HD) on the MLB channel on Roku.
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Depends on what your interests are.

Seinfeld fan? Get CRACKLE and watch Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee

Comic Book fan? Get the COMIC VINE app

Love to watch movie trailers? The Flixster app has a really nice selection

The biggest problem with Roku is that for every great app, there's probably about 50 worthless ones...but to each his own, and what you like/dislike is going to vary wildly on your passions.

Be sure to Google how to add 'hidden' channels - there are some great ones, including a few with if you are looking for that sort of thing.
Originally Posted by TGM
Midnight Pulp and zombeetv channels have a bunch of cool grindhouse type stuff.
Originally Posted by TheBigDave
These all require a subscription.

If you like Anime check out Crunchyroll and FUNimation. Both services offer 100's of shows, including stuff that's currently airing in Japan.

If you like British Mysteries/Dramas, check out AcornTV. This is a great way to watch these shows. The DVD sets are so expensive.

And if you watch Pro Wrestling you need to get the WWE Network. This channel is awesome. Tons of content. Live PPVs.

I also recommend the Instant Watch Browser For Netflix. It costs $3-$4. But if you have a Netflix subscription, you really need this. It'll help you find movies and see what's coming/expiring. There might be a Lite version you can try for free.
Cool thanks! I did a bunch of them to try!
Old 04-03-14, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
You could also try a powerline adapter like this one if you don't want to take the trouble to run Ethernet.

Out of necessity my PC is a long way from my Wi-Fi router and I was having trouble streaming video from it. It took two minutes to install those powerline adapters and all my problems were solved. In addition to a more consistent connection, speed is much improved, too.
Just ordered one! Thanks!
Old 04-03-14, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by TGM
Midnight Pulp and zombeetv channels have a bunch of cool grindhouse type stuff.
If you like horror/cult/giallo/grindhouse stuff, check out CrypticTV. It's a 24-hour channel with movies and shorts. They add in some bizarre commercials. So it's like you're watching an old UHF channel from the 70's. The movies are usually uncut and OAR. They also recently added some on-demand movies.

http://www.roku.com/channels/#!detai...tic-television
http://cryptictv.com/
https://www.facebook.com/CrypticTV

Last edited by TheBigDave; 04-03-14 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-04-14, 11:24 AM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts

Question from an ignorant non-user.

Is it very easy to find and use a single channel? Meaning, I would only use one channel.
Old 04-04-14, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Pharoh
Is it very easy to find and use a single channel? Meaning, I would only use one channel.
Yes, you can customize the menu and remove anything you don't want. If you just want one channel on the main menu, you can do that.

You can also move the buttons around. I've got all my favorites grouped together at the top.
Old 04-04-14, 11:43 AM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts

Yes, you can customize the menu and remove anything you don't want. If you just want one channel on the main menu, you can do that.

You can also move the buttons around. I've got all my favorites grouped together at the top.
Thank you.
Old 04-04-14, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're welcome! Let me know how it works for you. By the way, I've never bothered to install the software that came with them.
Old 04-04-14, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 675 Likes on 546 Posts

How do you do that?
Old 04-04-14, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
How do you do that?
Click the Star on the remote. It will give you options to Move and Remove channels.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hLdvlkkOqGU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-04-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 675 Likes on 546 Posts

Thanks.
Old 04-04-14, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 177 Posts

Click the Star on the remote. It will give you options to Move and Remove channels.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hLdvlkkOqGU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
OMG YOU CAN MOVE CHANNELS AROUND?!?!?!?!?!?!

How many more things can you do that I didn't know about?! Off to read the manual!!
Old 04-04-14, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
OMG YOU CAN MOVE CHANNELS AROUND?!?!?!?!?!?!

How many more things can you do that I didn't know about?! Off to read the manual!!
The manual doesn't tell you jack. You have to learn that stuff from various forums. Thanks, TheBigDave.
Old 04-05-14, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You're welcome! Let me know how it works for you. By the way, I've never bothered to install the software that came with them.
I actually use it for something else. Since moving the Roku out of the cabinet, I've had very little issues. I bet once I move it up high and near the window, ill be fine.

However, my HT receiver has wired Internet. I bought a generic Ethernet wifi adapter, but can't the receiver to connect to the Internet. So I'm going to try that adapter you recommended.

If it works better than wireless, I might use for both.
Old 04-05-14, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is an aspect of adding/removing channels that I think is exasperating.

We have two Rokus that are on the same account registered with the Roku company. My experience so far is that adding/removing channels on one Roku then adds/removes the identical channels on the other Roku out in another part of the house.

That is a time saver if you want/don't want the same certain channels on both Rokus. But it does not make it possible for the two of us using them to customize the Rokus to our individual viewing interests.
Old 04-05-14, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_
There is an aspect of adding/removing channels that I think is exasperating.

We have two Rokus that are on the same account registered with the Roku company. My experience so far is that adding/removing channels on one Roku then adds/removes the identical channels on the other Roku out in another part of the house.

That is a time saver if you want/don't want the same certain channels on both Rokus. But it does not make it possible for the two of us using them to customize the Rokus to our individual viewing interests.
Deregister one of the Rokus off the account online and create another account with another username/email address and only add that Roku to it. It goes by accounts.
Old 04-05-14, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Deregister one of the Rokus off the account online and create another account with another username/email address and only add that Roku to it. It goes by accounts.
+1

I've got different accounts for each Roku. It would be nice if you could manage multiple Rokus under the same account. But for now, each Roku needs it's own account.
Old 04-05-14, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you both When you create a second account with a new username, can the email address for it be the same as the one you use for the first account ? Or do you have to use both a new username and new email address
Old 04-05-14, 07:40 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_
Thank you both When you create a second account with a new username, can the email address for it be the same as the one you use for the first account ? Or do you have to use both a new username and new email address
I'm not sure; but many emails let you create sub or mask or whatever they're called accounts where multiple email addresses are really one and go to the same inbox.
Old 04-05-14, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 175 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm not sure; but many emails let you create sub or mask or whatever they're called accounts where multiple email addresses are really one and go to the same inbox.
I didn't know you had a Roku Trevor. How do you like yours?
Old 04-06-14, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts

Matt did u intend to put that link in the Roku thread or the Amazon Streaming Device thread?
Old 04-06-14, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 908 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
For new owners who like baseball: if you sign up for a free account at MLB.com, you can link that to your Roku and get their "free game of the day" (in HD) on the MLB channel on Roku.
It's a freebie but MLB tends to promote most of their terrible teams on the free game. Expect a lot of the Mariners and Marlins, for instance.
Old 04-06-14, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's a freebie but MLB tends to promote most of their terrible teams on the free game. Expect a lot of the Mariners and Marlins, for instance.
Yep. I don't think I've ever seen a popular team on the free game. It's always something like Kansas City vs Minnesota. Never see the Yankees or Red Sox. I wish it was picked at random so that you'd occasionally get a good game.
Old 04-06-14, 03:56 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I didn't know you had a Roku Trevor. How do you like yours?
I really enjoy it. Been planning on cutting cable for a couple years and finally did recently. An Amazon sale of $10 or so off the regular Roku price providentially coincided.

I confess that we mainly use it to stream Netflix and Amazon Video, things my xbox or BD player do pretty much as well; but those aren't wireless so it's nice to be able to stream at both TVs now. The multitude of other Roku channels seem nice, but to be honest I've barely used them. Mainly because I'm just at a season in my life where I only watch TV an average of maybe an hour a day. But I don't regret the purchase at all, my wife and daughter use the Roku all the time.
Old 04-06-14, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You could also try a powerline adapter like this one if you don't want to take the trouble to run Ethernet.

Out of necessity my PC is a long way from my Wi-Fi router and I was having trouble streaming video from it. It took two minutes to install those powerline adapters and all my problems were solved. In addition to a more consistent connection, speed is much improved, too.
Worked great for my receiver!!! Now have Airplay!!

It worked perfect out of the box. No set up. Just worked! Now I have everything I wanted,

Ruko 3 for Netflix, Amazon, youTube (plus I'm discovering other channels and stuff)
Denon e300 gets Airplay from my iPhone/iPad

And I see you can add additional "receivers" so if I do have trouble with the Roku when I move it to its new home, I can still use this.

BTW that receiver is back on sale at Amazon for $200. It's a nice little receiver. Only issue for some is no real "legacy" inputs. Basically HDMI or go home. But since this was a total new set up for bar, it works fine. And it does have pass through.

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-E300..._iUb04_klS_0_0

So I need one more 25ft HDMI cable and will get it all set up and wires hid.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 04-06-14 at 04:59 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.