Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Roku Thread

Old 03-23-14, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,486 Posts
Re: The Roku Thread

Originally Posted by Matt_
Some shows on the FOXNOW channel require an activation which is a step I can not complete because our cable service provider is not among those listed on foxnow.com/activate

Fox's shows are broadcast over the air. So what is Fox gaining by restricting access on its Roku channel to (select) cable subscribers ? I also don't understand its position of restricting access to just some of its shows. Would Fox view restricted access as another way of measuring how many households are viewing the show ?
Because the rights for the actual content may have different restrictions on the internet instead of over the air. Hulu on the other hand, is a paid service, so the restrictions are different.
Old 03-23-14, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
Because the rights for the actual content may have different restrictions on the internet instead of over the air. Hulu on the other hand, is a paid service, so the restrictions are different.
And Fox gets revenue from Hulu Plus (Hulu is free). By authenticating through a cable provider Fox gets a carriage fee. If they don't have a deal with a particular provider, that's because the provider hasn't agreed to pay them.
Old 03-23-14, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you both
Old 03-24-14, 08:29 PM

Received 492 Likes on 354 Posts

Roku's revamped mobile apps bring content search and a fresh look

Roku's mobile software just got a long overdue coat of fresh paint. The remote control apps for both Android and iOS now have a minimalist (and very purple) interface, as well as search that lets you track down content based on actors, directors and similar minutiae. It's now easier to control most any Roku device on the network, too. You don't have to use an account for most functions, and a single sign-in will automatically log in to every device linked to your credentials. There's still no iPad-optimized app -- really, Roku? -- but what's here is definitely worth grabbing from the App Store or Google Play.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/24/roku-app-3-0/
Old 03-29-14, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 155 Posts

I had the latest version of Roku 2 and paid $100 for the Roku 3. COMPLETELY satisfied even though the only thing it really added was YouTube support. I never realized how much awesome content YouTube has. Tons of documentaries, many of them in HD. And have recently gotten hooked on TED Talks. And have playlists of my favorite videos. Spent 3 hours on the bike trainer and it went by in a jiffy. Really a fun device. And I have Amazon Prime, Netflix, and rent Vudu 99 cent rentals of the day and use HitBliss to get current Amazon rentals, so now the only issue I have is that I have too much to watch And the control with headphones is trippy and awesome.
Old 03-29-14, 07:40 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 392 Likes on 245 Posts

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...Wc&hl=en&gid=0

list of available public and private channels.
Old 03-30-14, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have to pay to use Pandora on the Roku?

Will there be a Roku 4 this year?
Old 03-30-14, 02:40 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger

no, you do not need to pay to use Pandora.
Old 03-30-14, 03:10 PM

Received 492 Likes on 354 Posts

Roku DVP - May 2008
Roku 1 - Oct/Nov 2009
Roku 2 - July 2011
Roku 3 - March 2013

So roughly every 18-20 months. If they continue to follow that pattern, the next major update should be around Holiday 2014.
Old 03-30-14, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
So roughly every 18-20 months. If they continue to follow that pattern, the next major update should be around Holiday 2014.
I wonder if Roku will face the same problem the cellphone service companies have with smartphones -- will the U.S. be saturated enough with reliable Rokus that not enough Roku customers will see a need to upgrade and there won't be enough non-customers remaining who are interested in buying a Roku.
Old 03-30-14, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 766 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_
I wonder if Roku will face the same problem the cellphone service companies have with smartphones -- will the U.S. be saturated enough with reliable Rokus that not enough Roku customers will see a need to upgrade and there won't be enough non-customers remaining who are interested in buying a Roku.
The real problem Roku faces is the same thing that happened to TIVO. It's very cheap technology that each provider will simply duplicate through their own hardware. My Panasonic plasma does 80% of the streaming job that my Roku unit does. I could name about four or five more devices in my house that duplicate streaming functions (PS3, Sony BD player, etc).
Old 03-30-14, 08:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 638 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The real problem Roku faces is the same thing that happened to TIVO. It's very cheap technology that each provider will simply duplicate through their own hardware. My Panasonic plasma does 80% of the streaming job that my Roku unit does. I could name about four or five more devices in my house that duplicate streaming functions (PS3, Sony BD player, etc).
Exactly. My Roku is nice, and perhaps my all-around best streamer at the moment; but it pretty much offers nothing that I couldn't finagle out of my TV or game systems or BD player etc. And to further repeat what PS said, the tech in those other devices will just keep getting better. Roku needs to innovate in some aspect of the process to survive I think.
Old 03-31-14, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 156 Likes on 115 Posts

I have a streaming Blu Ray player, but I primarily use my Roku, just due to the lack of channels my Blu Ray player has available compared to my Roku.
Old 03-31-14, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,001 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Exactly. My Roku is nice, and perhaps my all-around best streamer at the moment; but it pretty much offers nothing that I couldn't finagle out of my TV or game systems or BD player etc. And to further repeat what PS said, the tech in those other devices will just keep getting better. Roku needs to innovate in some aspect of the process to survive I think.
Ease of use definitely factors in for me, plus the ability to cast YouTube and Netflix (like a Chromecast) is very nice. BD Players tend to be pretty limited, TVs have gotten a lot better but with a premium, Game Consoles require controllers (PS3, PS4) or annual memberships (Xbox 360, Xbox One) to get the media features out of them.

So it's kind of a tough call, once the Roku 3 hits $50 I will be recommending them left and right. As it stands you get most of the best features with a Chromecast.
Old 04-01-14, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

with Chromecast having just added VUDU support it now has everything I need in a streaming player (anything additional is gravy)
Roku fails in that there is no support for HBOGO via Comcast
Old 04-01-14, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe just a new form factor? I just got a "roku streaming stick" ad...
http://www.roku.com/products/streaming-stick
Old 04-02-14, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 587 Likes on 473 Posts

Got the Roku stick. Pretty cool device. I have a Sony smart TV (and Samsung BD player with streaming for the BR), but doesn't have many useful apps -- use it for Netflix and YT but that's about it. Wanted the Roku stick to get WatchESPN and Livestream, plus I love the portability of it -- can use it for travel.
Old 04-03-14, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 156 Likes on 115 Posts

Being new to Roku, I'm still discovering channels, and really enjoying it. I'll even be able to watch WrestleMania this year, and the movie, sports, and documentary channels all have great selections.
Old 04-03-14, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 398 Likes on 343 Posts

Was talking over in Tech, that I was looking for a streaming player. I ended up getting the Rodu 3. Setup and all good. But I put it in a cabinet and it doesn't like being in there for WiFi. I was going to move it and mount it high by by TV (I'm setting this up in my bar where my TV is mounted high in a corner which is near the a window and closer to my wifi router.

However, It wouldn't be terrible to install a wired Ethernet from the office. I'd have to run the wire outside, but I could put in conduit or something.

Significant benefit to going wired? I've been watching it for a couple days on wifi and seems pretty good (once I moved out out from within the cabinet). Maybe I should move it, try wifi and see how that goes. Could always go wired late.

So far I have YouTube, Netflix and Amaze Streaming going....

Any other suggestions, sites, tips, etc??
Old 04-03-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
However, It wouldn't be terrible to install a wired Ethernet from the office. I'd have to run the wire outside, but I could put in conduit or something.
You could also try a powerline adapter like this one if you don't want to take the trouble to run Ethernet.

Out of necessity my PC is a long way from my Wi-Fi router and I was having trouble streaming video from it. It took two minutes to install those powerline adapters and all my problems were solved. In addition to a more consistent connection, speed is much improved, too.
Old 04-03-14, 03:22 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...Wc&hl=en&gid=0

list of available public and private channels.
Thank you A+
Old 04-03-14, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For new owners who like baseball: if you sign up for a free account at MLB.com, you can link that to your Roku and get their "free game of the day" (in HD) on the MLB channel on Roku.
Old 04-03-14, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Got the Roku stick. Pretty cool device. I have a Sony smart TV (and Samsung BD player with streaming for the BR), but doesn't have many useful apps -- use it for Netflix and YT but that's about it. Wanted the Roku stick to get WatchESPN and Livestream, plus I love the portability of it -- can use it for travel.
I bought one to use in the den and kitchen. I am extremely pleased that it does about 95 percent of what my Roku 3 in the home theater does. I was also happy that all of my apps and channels transferred over with no problems. The portability is the icing on the cake.
Old 04-03-14, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 313 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct

So far I have YouTube, Netflix and Amaze Streaming going....

Any other suggestions, sites, tips, etc??
Depends on what your interests are.

Seinfeld fan? Get CRACKLE and watch Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee

Comic Book fan? Get the COMIC VINE app

Love to watch movie trailers? The Flixster app has a really nice selection

The biggest problem with Roku is that for every great app, there's probably about 50 worthless ones...but to each his own, and what you like/dislike is going to vary wildly on your passions.

Be sure to Google how to add 'hidden' channels - there are some great ones, including a few with if you are looking for that sort of thing.
Old 04-03-14, 06:14 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Midnight Pulp and zombeetv channels have a bunch of cool grindhouse type stuff.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.