Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Hulu.com--- Free legal streaming TV shows site - Now Open

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-09, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: Hulu.com--- Free legal streaming TV shows site - Now Open

Now if only Hulu can get the rights to more than the last 4-5 episodes and keep up an entire season, then I would probably use it alot more and maybe try to watch a few other shows when nothing else is on.

It does help tremendously to watch stuff on Hulu when my DVR's start getting backed up and I can afford to delete it there and catch it on Hulu at a later time. However I know there is a small window where shows on stay up a certain time.
Old 05-07-09, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Just an FYI to all of you who use Hulu regularly. Friday at 7pm ET/4pm PT Hulu will be streaming all programs/movies commercial free for 8 hours.

If your behind on any shows or have missed some and don't have them saved on your DVR, this is a good opportunity to catch up.
Old 05-07-09, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

All ABC does is link to their old Episode Player. I was watching Better Off Ted last night, went to Hulu, and it took me to the old player. Soooo. But it looked terrific in HD mode.
Old 05-07-09, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

ABC Stream > Hulu
Hulu Player > ABC Player
Old 05-07-09, 10:00 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by N2DVD
All ABC does is link to their old Episode Player. I was watching Better Off Ted last night, went to Hulu, and it took me to the old player. Soooo. But it looked terrific in HD mode.
ABC shows are up? I couldn't find Better off Ted on Hulu.com
Old 05-07-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been playing around with using the web browser in my PS3 to access video streaming sites on my TV. I can view YouTube and Hulu just fine, but the ABC.com site blocks the PS3 as an "unsupported browser", although I suspect it's all just Flash video anyway.

So anything that moves content away from ABC.com to Hulu is fine with me.
Old 05-07-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
Now if only Hulu can get the rights to more than the last 4-5 episodes and keep up an entire season, then I would probably use it alot more and maybe try to watch a few other shows when nothing else is on.

It does help tremendously to watch stuff on Hulu when my DVR's start getting backed up and I can afford to delete it there and catch it on Hulu at a later time. However I know there is a small window where shows on stay up a certain time.
They do on some shows. I watched the entire run of Rescue Me over the past 3 weeks on Hulu.
Old 05-29-09, 12:57 PM

http://gizmodo.com/5272573/is-hulu-coming-to-xbox-360

Is Hulu Coming to Xbox 360?

By Mark Wilson, 9:40 AM on Fri May 29 2009,

Olivia Munn, geek goddess of Attack of the Show, posted an interesting tweet last night. "Just finished promos for hulu/microsoft event I'm doing on june 8!" Just what hulu/Microsoft event could she be referring to?

To us, it seems likely that this event is supporting a Hulu on Xbox 360 announcement coming at E3. Why? Because Hulu on the 360 makes a lot of sense. Quite simply, it's the best internet service you can bring to a TV. So if Microsoft were to pick just one piece of internet entertainment to offer Xboxers (and with no web browser, they need to pick and choose), Hulu (and maybe YouTube) would be top on the list.

Also note that in Europe, Microsoft is supporting the Sky Player. It's a media content service somewhat like hulu but with support for live shows. And it's being integrated right into the XMB. We could see hulu arrive to the platform in a very similar manner. (So it'll probably look a bit different from our tongue-in-cheek artist's rendering.)

But the biggest reason that we're betting on Hulu 360 is because Microsoft's Shane Kim admitted months ago that the company was investigating Hulu connectivity on the platform. So don't be surprised if we hear more next week at E3. Microsoft's press conference is on Monday and we'll be there liveblogging. [Thanks Jake!]
Chris
Old 05-29-09, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

It seems odd that they'd do that, since it would be direct competition for their TV sales.

That said, I would worship them if they brought it out.
Old 05-29-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only problem I see with this news is that, with Microsoft involved, one can't help but wonder how long it will be until they own Hulu, which would be a very bad thing.
Old 05-29-09, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by RoboDad
The only problem I see with this news is that, with Microsoft involved, one can't help but wonder how long it will be until they own Hulu, which would be a very bad thing.
Well we (Disney) own a significant stake in Hulu, so I don't see us selling our part to Microsoft. It will probably continue to be a partnership between numerous media companies.

Chris
Old 05-29-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Oh man. We ditched our satellite a few weeks ago and there are a few shows we'll have to watch online now, but they are all up on Hulu. I'd love to be able to watch them on my 360.
Old 05-29-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

GE/NBC Universal own Hulu. They aren't a startup like YT was, so I would not foresee them getting bought out.

I also saw MS is looking to bring Sky content to Xbox users in the UK. Look for a screen shot as they are quite funny. The avatars sit around together watching the same programming and you can taunt the others during a match (e.g. football/soccer).
Old 05-29-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
GE/NBC Universal own Hulu. They aren't a startup like YT was, so I would not foresee them getting bought out.

I also saw MS is looking to bring Sky content to Xbox users in the UK. Look for a screen shot as they are quite funny. The avatars sit around together watching the same programming and you can taunt the others during a match (e.g. football/soccer).
afaik, Hulu was a joint venture between Fox and NBC, so I'm not sure either one is the actual owner. Disney also owns/is buying 27% stake of the company.

NBC Universal (27%)
News Corporation (27%)
Providence Equity Partners (19%)
The Walt Disney Company (27%)
Old 05-29-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk God

That still from the "demo" of Hulu on XBox Live is hilarious considering it's from the Old version of XBox Live, which was revamped over 1 year ago.
Old 05-29-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
That still from the "demo" of Hulu on XBox Live is hilarious considering it's from the Old version of XBox Live, which was revamped over 1 year ago.
...not to mention that the PS3 has been able to do it for as long as I can remember.

Old 05-29-09, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
afaik, Hulu was a joint venture between Fox and NBC, so I'm not sure either one is the actual owner. Disney also owns/is buying 27% stake of the company.

NBC Universal (27%)
News Corporation (27%)
Providence Equity Partners (19%)
The Walt Disney Company (27%)
Woo hoo, I'm part owner of Hulu.... sort of!

Chris
Old 05-29-09, 05:09 PM

That's it folks, there's nothing to see here, move along!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...eed&subj=Crave

May 29, 2009 10:25 AM PDT
Xbox 360 to get Hulu? (Update: Probably not)

by David Carnoy (Credit: Gizmodo)

Ah, there's nothing like a little random tweet to start a rumor.

"Just finished promos for hulu/microsoft event I'm doing on june 8!" Olivia Munn of G4's "Attack of the Show" wrote on her Twitter feed last night.

Seems harmless enough on the surface, but put it in the hands of some zealous bloggers, their antennas on high alert for any E3 related news (Microsoft's press conference is on Monday), and the rumor wheels start churning. Could Microsoft be planning to announce Hulu support for the Xbox 360?

Sounds good to me--and a lot of other people, too. Some folks are already streaming Hulu to their Xbox 360s using a little software program called PlayOn, but the idea here is an integrated Hulu application along the lines of the Netflix video streaming plug-in that's currently available to Xbox Live Gold subscribers who also have a Netflix account.

Those keeping score between Microsoft and Sony will be quick to note that the PS3 already has Hulu support via the PS3's built-in Web browser. If Microsoft were to add Hulu as well, it would be a small coup, and it wouldn't be a shocker considering Microsoft has been looking at possible XBox 360 tie-ins to Hulu and YouTube for several months. However, at yesterday's All Things D conference, NBC Universal CEO Jeff Zucker reiterated Hulu's , anti-Boxee stance saying that, "Right now we're committed to Hulu being an online experience, and that's where our vision is today, and I think that will continue." So, take this rumor for what it's worth.

Comments?

(Source: Twitter via Gizmodo)

Update: Alas, Ms. Munn's Hulu-Microsoft connection is related to Microsoft's new Bing search engine and a Bingathon on Hulu June 8. Ms. Munn refers to the event on her Web site, calling Bing a "Web browser." (Thanks to commenter Ninjatuned for pointing this out). Of course, Microsoft could still announce Hulu support for the Xbox 360 on Monday, but we wouldn't bet on it.
Chris
Old 05-29-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

meh, already accessing hulu on my 360 through tversity
Old 05-29-09, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by twikoff
meh, already accessing hulu on my 360 through tversity
that's fine and dandy, but those of us that want a seamless process w/o having a computer involved, would appreciate Hulu coming to XBL.
Old 05-30-09, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

what's the trick to use hulu on ps3 with the ps3 remote.

I can't move the curser over most of the video options including the volume slider.
Old 05-30-09, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to use one of the controllers to interact with Flash. Lame, I know.
Old 05-31-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They just released Hulu Desktop the other day which is pretty slick and is fully controllable via remote on my HTPC.

http://www.hulu.com/labs
Old 07-07-09, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Just a headsup. It looks like Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives have now been added to Hulu. It only has 5 episodes from last season and they are out of order. Lost and other ABC produced shows aren't there yet.

http://www.hulu.com/desperate-housewives

http://www.hulu.com/greys-anatomy