Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

CREDIT CARD LEAK at Amazon.com

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

CREDIT CARD LEAK at Amazon.com

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-01, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just had my credit card stolen from Amazon.com and used at their Amazon France company (Amazon.Fr).

Consumer beware!!!!!!!! I am working with my bank to get this whole mess straighten out!
Old 03-28-01, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
That sucks, does France have CC protection laws or you up the creek? In the US your only liable up to $50 or so on charges you did not make...

good luck!
Old 03-28-01, 01:09 PM
Cool New Member

How did you learn that it was stolen and used as you described?

Old 03-28-01, 01:14 PM
JIF

Originally posted by paco

Probably because the charges appeared on his credit card account and the trace revealed that it originated in france (educated guess).
Old 03-28-01, 01:15 PM

I sent http://www.Amazon.com in the US an email 3 days ago and heard no response. I sent them another email today and will probably hear no response. My credit card was ONLY used at http://www.Amazon.com so I know that their CC database has LEAKED!

Why do we have to pay the prices and deal with the hassles of getting new cards, filling out affidavits, etc...when company like Amazon.com can not keep a tight security on their consumer's credit card. I truly believe there should be a class action lawsuit against them and every company who claims to be secure and then leaks CC to hackers!
Old 03-28-01, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by JIF
Originally posted by paco

Probably because the charges appeared on his credit card account and the trace revealed that it originated in france (educated guess).

It doesn't take a ROCKET scientist to look at one's statement every month and note that there is an unsually LARGE charge for something one has not bought...especially when it's originating from http://www.Amazon.fr (Amazon in France).

I have used this CC only on Amazon.com exclusively for the past 1 and 1/2 year...so I know it must be Amazon.com who has leaked the CC information.
Old 03-28-01, 01:20 PM

Plus I don't speak French...wouldn't have a god damn clue how to use their France website.
Old 03-28-01, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because it was used at Amazon does not mean it was stolen from Amazon. I do this for a living (Merchant Services at a bank) and most CC numbers are obtained the old fashioned way. Receipts pulled from the garbage.

Of course if somebody guessed your username and password they could use the card without knowing the number, by changing the ship-to. But only at Amazon.

If the Amazon Db had compromised your number they would have used it at as many online shops as they could. They wouldn't just hit amazon and stop.

Old 03-28-01, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by joltaddict

Just because it was used at Amazon does not mean it was stolen from Amazon. I do this for a living (Merchant Services at a bank) and most CC numbers are obtained the old fashioned way. Receipts pulled from the garbage.

Of course if somebody guessed your username and password they could use the card without knowing the number, by changing the ship-to. But only at Amazon.

If the Amazon Db had compromised your number they would have used it at as many online shops as they could. They wouldn't just hit amazon and stop.

This was just 3 days ago...who knows if more charges will post to my account or not. This card was an EXCLUSIVE on-line ONLY credit card and I have not used it for any personal shopping beside shopping at Amazon.com. So how do you propose someone obtain the receipt from the trash can?
Old 03-28-01, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Unhappy
This card was an EXCLUSIVE on-line ONLY credit card and I have not used it for any personal shopping beside shopping at Amazon.com. So how do you propose someone obtain the receipt from the trash can?
Your bank would see the charges real time, before they show up on your statement. If it was used anywhere else they would know. They can't charge before they ship but the bank does see the hold placed on the order.

It sounds more like somebody guessed your password at amazon.

Old 03-28-01, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You know what would really suck about this (for me anyway) is that the Credit Card statement would say "Amazon" so I as well as many people might just overlook it knowing that I order so much from them. Even if it said "Amazon.fr" it might miss a first glance... unless it was a large amount. I would notice that right away... my Amazon bills are never over $30.
Old 03-28-01, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whats your credit card number..ill check into it for you

sorry..I couldnt resist
Old 03-28-01, 02:26 PM

I did initially miss the charge because I had placed 2 orders early this month at http://www.amazon.com for a total of $67.99. I initially thought that Amazon.com must had screwed up or something when the charge came out to be a little over $350.00 in addition my original $67.99.

The difference between the two charges were that the $67.99 was from WWW AMAZON COM and the $350.00 was from WWW AMAZON FR. I got very suspicious right there and then!

CONSUMERS BEWARE!!!
Old 03-28-01, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Deke Rivers
Whats your credit card number..ill check into it for you

sorry..I couldnt resist
I am having a very hard time dealing with this, but since you are so incline to make a joke about it. Click the link below to view my CC information.

***Warning*** Decent people should not click the link below!

http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy

Old 03-28-01, 02:41 PM

Which is why it's important to reconcile your cc statements every month. I've done that ever since my first statement, and have found numberous mistakes. I've never caught a compromised credit card, although my bank caught a problem and automatically issued me a new one.
Old 03-28-01, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have just had my credit card stolen from Amazon.com and used at their Amazon France company (Amazon.Fr).

Consumer beware!!!!!!!! I am working with my bank to get this whole mess straighten out!
I'm not going to say a word about the mess that came after this but....

shouldn't this be in the ONLINE STORE forum?
Old 03-28-01, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That was freaking hilarious (by they way, I consider myself a decent person, but I couldn't resist)
Old 03-28-01, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rfduncan
Unless we have a new "Baseless Accusations" forum.

Old 03-28-01, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joltaddict
Originally posted by rfduncan

Unless we have a new "Baseless Accusations" forum.

[/B]
Please place this comment in the Forum Feedback and Suggestions forum...
Old 03-29-01, 04:14 AM

I guess this is the thing everyone's most afraid about on the net.
All I can say is make your passwords as obscure as you can, even nonsense words, then hopefully they'll be a bit harder to crack.
Old 03-29-01, 05:31 AM

I was discussing this the other day in another forum. I told people their that these problems do happen, but they mocked me and said that it does not happen. Well I guess someone (unfortunatly for them) has proved my point. Credit cards and the Internet can be a dangerous mix.
Old 03-29-01, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lately I have been using "one time use" credit card numbers such as "Private Payments" from American Express or "ShopSafe" from Mastercard (MBNA). I am sure there are other such services and there are always services like eCount and WebCertificate.

I prefer the "one time use" numbers because they are only good for the one charge. If someone does hack into an E-Commerce site and get Credit Card numbers they won't be able to use mine.

Just an FYI to all interested.
Old 03-29-01, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/

Old 03-29-01, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That was really funny even though I wanted to see an Amish Rake Fight even more.
Old 03-29-01, 06:27 PM
Banned

I wouldnt worry about this at all, First off, Amazon would reverse the charges for you and track where the package went. Im sure who ever did it was either very dumb or didnt know they were doing it (amazon billing error). Because the item ships right to their house. And im sure Amazon would comp you with a $10 or $20 GC, they are good for that.
And second, your Credit Card Company would reverse the charges no problem.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.