Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How cool is this?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

How cool is this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-01, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Hey all. Back in December, I got a $15 gc for Amazon.com from Mycereal.com. I used it on my preorder of Clerks:Animated series. Total came to $8 and some change. Yesterday I have received my shipping notice, and there was no mention of the gc(the total was now $23. I emailed Amazon and notified them of the problem. Well, they credited my credit card the $15 they owed me and gave me another $15 in my account balance.So for about $20 I ended up with
Clerks: Animated Series
Pi
Southie(for my woman)

Not bad huh? Gotta love screwups like that
Old 02-20-01, 09:12 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's nice but is this a DVD bargain? not really. Damn 123 posts you have and you're STILL acting like a newbie...
Old 02-20-01, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Its a bargain to me. Dont like it, thats ok cause your just jealous. Thank you end of discussion
Old 02-20-01, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tell him like it is CryForSurvival. Personally I feel it is dishonest on the part of Deadman31 to accept that extra money from Amazon. It is people who fleece e-tailers that has left many in the state they are today (thats not to say the e-tailers are not foolish themselves to have gotten themselves in that predicament). The right thing to do would be to notify Amazon of their mistake and you may find out they will let you keep the money anyway, and at worst you dont get free money that not supposed ot be yours anyway. I am done preaching for today, but it is really a sad reflection on the state of our society.

J
Old 02-20-01, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So let me get this straight? If you were offered money by an etailer cause they screwed up you wouldnt take it? BS! I didnt ask for it they offered it. What was I gonna do not take it? What I did was not a reflection of todays society. I happen to consider myself a very honest and decent person who doesnt have alot of money, but works very hard. You can cast aspersions on my character all you want, but the bottom line is I didnt do anything that anyone else wouldnt have done.
Old 02-20-01, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm in total agreement with you Master J. While you have come out with a good deal Deadman, this sort of behaviour forces online shops to up their prices all the time or risk going under.

Sorry to rain on your parade but it makes things more expensive for the rest of us dude.
Old 02-20-01, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And no, not everyone would have done that and not everyone has dude.
Old 02-20-01, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by CryForSurvival
That's nice but is this a DVD bargain? not really. Damn 123 posts you have and you're STILL acting like a newbie...
Uhh, I don't think there's any need at all to be RUDE to someone posting about a bargain they received.
Old 02-20-01, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have watched these forums for a long time, and seen many posts about people taking advantage of etailer mistakes. Thats not to say any of you have participated in this. I never would. All I wanted to do was inform people of what happened, and what a good deal I ended up with. It could happen to any of us, but apparently you are all better than me.
Old 02-20-01, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thx eviljim
Old 02-20-01, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon had some kind of GC screw up a couple days ago. They failed to apply my GC balance to an order also, and I read in the Will Click forum this happened to someone else too. When I notified them of their error all they did was credit my CC the $3.44.

Keep an eye on your shipping confirmations to make sure your GC balance is applied!
Old 02-20-01, 09:49 PM

Of course you take the money! And that is a load of crap that e-tailers are hurt by people not turning in mistakes. They are in a bad state because they adopted unsound pricing strategies in order to develop brand recognition! Obviously, y'all don't know what percentages are because account mistakes can not possibly make up a large enough percentage of expenses to raise prices.

Finally, I think hearing about things like this does belong in a bargain forum because if this same event happens to you, your decision making will now be wiser for having read about someone else's experiences.

Out!
Old 02-20-01, 09:51 PM

One more thing -- I don't think this was a mistake on amazon's part. They charged him too much, so they gave him extra. It was given to him because they screwed up! A while back BestBuy charged me twice so they sent me a gift card... if I go out to eat and they have bad service or bad food, often the manager will comp you something. This is a GOOD thing for any type of retailors -- online or off -- because giving out a gift certificate is a lot better than giving out bad customer service.

Amazon tends to be VERY generous when they cause errors. Around Christmas my delivery was delayed and it might not have arrived in time... the CSR appologized and gladly gave me a $10 credit for the possible problem (and it wasn't even definate there would be a problem -- it ended up there wasn't).

This is far, far different than buying something clearly mis-priced, or creating different accounts to abuse coupons, etc... It's a little gray because we don't know if they MEANT to give it to him, but I would say it's about 90% likely they did intend it.
Old 02-20-01, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree 100% DSLevenuts. Take the money. But apparently those 2 clowns feel that I am causing the downfall of society. These forums really make me mad sometimes. Its like everyone feels the need to brag about this and put somebody down for that. Im better off being a lurker
Old 02-20-01, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe I am totally out of touch with reality, but stealing is stealing in my book no matter how you try to sugar coat it. Just because someone makes a mistake, and in the case an e-tailer, does not mean you should take advantage of the situation. If you have full knowledge of a mistake then come and post about it on a forum, you are showing total disrespect for the law and most importantly basic morals.

The thing people seem to always look over when talking about e-tailers and their mistakes and how dumb they are to make them is the actual people who work for them. Everytime one goes under or has massive lay-offs countless numbers of families are effected. It could be your family that is effected the next time a company goes under wether it be an e-tailer or any other business.

I for one know that if I made a mistake in my business to the benefit of the customer and the customer in good faith brought it to my attention, I would gladly give them a bit of compensation and a thanks. It may not mean alot to some of you, but in my book honesty is worth alot more than ripping off a few dollars. I may be speaking to deaf ears however on this topic, but one can always hope....

J
Old 02-20-01, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now Im a thief. Boy oh boy. You say that if in your business you made an honest mistake and the customer brought it to you attention in good faith you would honor it? Thats what I did! I simply emailed them saying they made a mistake, and wanted the $15 gc applied to the order. They were generous enough to do that and give me an additional $15. How am I wrong here?
Old 02-20-01, 10:12 PM

Deadman, I have to agree with you here. Amazon has been good in the past with offering GC for mistakes.
I assume they credited your card and put the extra $15 in your Amazon account? If so, that shows it was legit, as they direct the money to two different sources. Please people, give the guy a break, he did nothing wrong.
Old 02-20-01, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes Flowerman that is what happened. Thx for your support
Old 02-20-01, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Deadman31
How am I wrong here?
You're not. They screwed up. In order to try to appease the situation, they gave you an additional $15 to use at their site (with the hopes that you will be a repeat customer).

A similar thing happened to me a while back...I had a limited edition CD on order for about 4 months, during which time it went out of print. When they finally realized that they'd not be able to get the item, the order was cancelled. The next time I went to place an order, I found a fresh $15 credit in my account. It would seem that this is their way to say "sorry."

I have made MANY purchases at amazon, and will continue to do so. They have (by far) the best CS department of all etailers. If there's a problem, it gets fixed. period.

You did nothing wrong here. That others feel that you have, is regretable. That some feel the need to launch attacks at you is shameful.
Old 02-20-01, 10:24 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
does anyone know when Star Wars is coming to dvd?
Old 02-20-01, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe it's just me, but i think something is only worth posting the in the bargain forum if it is a bargain that other people can also get in on. a story about an e-tailer messing up isn't a bargain, it's an anecdote.

DJ
Old 02-20-01, 10:25 PM

I am happy for anyone who gets a deal, Please try to stay on the ethical side of 'deals'.
Old 02-20-01, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is worthless and needs to be locked up. No deal not even an inkling to a deal. Forget it.

[Edited by JUGhead on 02-20-01 at 08:34 PM]
Old 02-20-01, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thx Edclem. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I can accept that. I simply wanted to post something about a little bit of luck I had(which I do feel lucky and thankful for). I didnt expect to get flambasted by uppity know it all's. If I was so arrogant and selfish and out to cause the collapse of society, would I have gotten something for my girlfriend? No.
Old 02-20-01, 10:28 PM

Maybe I am totally out of touch with reality, but stealing is stealing in my book no matter how you try to sugar coat it.
When you are given something, it isn't stealing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.