Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Circut City

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-01, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone
I went to Circut City today to see if any DVD's caught my eye. By the way, what is everyone's opinion of them? I think their prices are amoung the best of any retail store that I have personally seen. Anyway, I ended up getting "Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show" (a rock band from the 70's). thing is, I have never seen this before in any other store. There is a whole line of DVD's like this one from a compaany called Encore music Entertainment. Does anyone know of these? Are they only avaible at Circut City? Like I said, I have never seen these before and I was just wondering if some companies only sell through certain stores.

Thanks

------------------
Growing old is manditory,
growing up is optiona
Old 02-03-01, 09:10 PM

JerkIt City blows, they are frequently over priced, often out of stock, and have mediocre selections on a daily basis.

------------------
Jerry Bruckheimer should be bludgeoned to death with the bleached bones of Wolfgang Peterson while Tom Cruise digs the hole to bury all three of them.
Old 02-03-01, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Circuit City is the best place to get DVDs. On release Tuesdays CC usually pirces all the new DVDs for $14.99-$16.99. I bought What Lies Beneath for $16.99 and the Way of the Gun for $14.99 when it was released where every other store had the for $19.99-$24.99. Sure you can buy DVDs online but then you'll have to pay for shipping cost and then you'll have to wait for them to come in the mail when you can grab a copy at CC right away and might save a buck or two. CC rules!!!

------------------
I am The GAME: because i am THAT DAMN GOOD!!!
Old 02-03-01, 09:30 PM

Try and get them to honor their ad which has Dinosaur CE for $19.99 and see how good you think they are.

They've done this twice in a row and haven't faced up to their mistakes.

Circuit City is a good place to pick up big titles on release day as long as they aren't Disney DVD's with a MSRP of $39.99. I got X-Men, Gladiator, T2:UE, and M:I-2 from them for very good prices on release day.

------------------
Go Bucs!!
Old 02-03-01, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by thegame370:
I bought What Lies Beneath for $16.99
<HR>

I got WLB for $15.99 at K-Mart

Circut City is ok. Different locations have different selections. The one in Virginia Beach, VA has a very small sellection. Of course right across from them is a BestBuy.
The Circut City in Lancaster, PA has a GREAT selection - and when I am in Lancaster, yes, I usually get the on-sale DVDs at CC.

My preference for a B&M is currently Best Buy. They usually (in most stores) have a GREAT selection. Their prices on new-releases on the new release day are usually good. However, I only buy DVDs from them that they have on sale.

Purchasing from some Internet places for some DVDs is still cheaper than going B&M.
Old 02-03-01, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BTW - I forsee this thread being locked and moved to the on-line store forum.
Old 02-04-01, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't believe anyone who frequents this forum would think CC was actually consistently good. The whole point of DVDTalk is the ability to share bargains where you get DVDs for 50% or less below suggested retail prices and many members here average well below $10 per every disc they buy, while CC's sale prices tend to be 30% off at best with few exceptions. That is really not a bargain and is the same type of discount offered at Best Buy or Frys all the time. Sure, they may be cheaper than the ridiculous full-price stores like Virgin Megastore, but I would hardly think they could be considered a consistent good deal source, unless you are in a small town and have no other point of comparison but Barnes and Nobles or other overpriced shops. That's my opinion, at least.
Old 02-04-01, 01:49 AM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by LightTrinity:
BTW - I forsee this thread being locked and moved to the on-line store forum.
<HR>

She's right...moving Thread

------------------
Kenwood
DVDTalk's Main Forum Moderator
DVDTalk's Rules, Policies, and Disclaimers
DVDTalk's Main Forum FAQ Thread

Host of DVDTalk's "Survivor II - The Australian Outback"
Email: [email protected]
Old 02-04-01, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love CC, they pricematch every week with no hassle, i have no idea why everyone else bashes them and says they never honor their ads/pricematch Im usually in and out in 5 minutes
Old 02-04-01, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my CC is okay but a small selection. I did have one bad transaction when buying a phone before Xmas. Took like 20 minutes and I was paying cash!!! This guy comes up to me and ask if I'am ready to check out. He scans it in and opens the register to find it is empty. He tries calling someone etc. and leaves and its about 10 minutes now with me standing there and comes back with some cash but he doesnt have the right amount for my change and goes back again. He finally got it right but he forgot to do the security tag thing so the alarm goes off when I leave so I go to the front desk and I waited like 5 minutes for someone to help me and finally said screw this and reached over and did my own security tag de-activation thing and left.
Old 02-05-01, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Braddok, welcome to the forum first of all.

I am not sure how big the Circuit City is near you, but my local Circuit City (Springfield, Illinois) has a very poor selection, about 1/3 of the selection of the nearby Best Buy. But even Best Buy isn't as good as the better on-line stores, even if you don't have coupons. The only thing I can think about Circuit City is that they often have the best prices the week of a popular new release. The bad things is that the local one refuses to give rain checks for DVD sales (and I'm not talking about Dinosaur, I'm talking about any DVD sale), not too mention their high regular prices and lack of selection.

Try this, think of the last few DVDs you bought from Circuit City, then go to www.buy.com and www.800.com and place all of those selections in the shopping cart, how do the prices compare?

Finally, as a side note, when you do buy on-line, if you go through a link from dvdtalk, this site gets a small kickback. Not much, but it all adds up and keeps the site running.

[This message has been edited by Heat 1 (edited February 05, 2001).]
Old 02-05-01, 07:04 AM

Heat
I picked up 4 DVD's. Ghostbusters, Caddyshack, Dr. Hook, and Don't Tell Mom The Babysitters Dead. The prices on the 3 comidies were comparable to on line stores, even cheaper than a few. However, I cannot find the Dr. Hook title anywhere on line. Which reverts me back to the question, do some companies only sell exclusively through some stores?

------------------
growing up is optional
Old 02-05-01, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
quote:<HR>Originally posted by DVDKrayzie:
I love CC, they pricematch every week with no hassle,
<HR>

Guess you weren't at the CCs that decided that they were NOT going to honor price matches during the holiday shopping season (even tho the signs saying they would were still up). Some flat out said that District informed them that if a PM was to low, they didn't have to honor it. And I'm not talking about typos or mistakes here, but legitimate low prices at othere local B&Ms.

And as mentioned above, there's the whole Dinosaur SE issue.....
Old 02-05-01, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess im just lucky then. I have 3 CCs near me and I've never had a problem yet with pricematches.
Old 02-05-01, 03:21 PM

How soon they forget...

Nobody's mentioned Divx?! I refuse to forgive them for their attempt to kill DVD just when it was starting to get off the ground. No matter how cheap they offer anything I will never shop there again.
Old 02-05-01, 03:36 PM

What is DIVX?

------------------
growing up is optional
Old 02-05-01, 03:51 PM
Banned

DIVX was a proprietory DVD format whereby instead of buying your DVD, you just pay like $3.95 to watch it over 24 hours. If you want to watch it again you pay another $3.95, etc, etc. If you don't pay, the disc goes dead and you throw it away.
Old 02-06-01, 04:52 AM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DVDKrayzie:
I love CC, they pricematch every week with no hassle, i have no idea why everyone else bashes them and says they never honor their ads/pricematch Im usually in and out in 5 minutes
<HR>

Depends on the store. I speak from experience.
Old 02-06-01, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Shaggy999:
DIVX was a proprietory DVD format whereby instead of buying your DVD, you just pay like $3.95 to watch it over 24 hours. If you want to watch it again you pay another $3.95, etc, etc. If you don't pay, the disc goes dead and you throw it away.
<HR>

I can live with them introducing DIVX. It was the way that they presented, marketed, and sold it that really ticked people off. Basically, they greatly misrepresented both DIVX and DVDs in any number of confusing and/or WRONG ways, oftentimes being downright deceitful in the process. The stories continue to this day....
Old 02-06-01, 09:55 AM

Soup Nazi is correct in the statement 'depends on the store'. All the major chains seem to have a problem with the 'flow down' of information. Or more likely the problem lies with the store manager receiving and disseminating this information to the troops. I've had many a run in with uninformed Best Buy employees

------------------
www.toptopsecret.com