Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Half.com is incredible...

Old 01-14-01, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just looked on their site for eight different DVD's and the price was higher than the shops.

That's pretty good for second hand stuff(well, it says second hand anyway).

What's the deal?

------------------
Regards...
TEAM 7 Member
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 01-14-01, 10:43 PM

You got that right!
Old 01-15-01, 08:34 AM

tomcale - What the hell's the matter with you?
Old 01-15-01, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
quote:
Originally posted by Fhrx:
I just looked on their site for eight different DVD's and the price was higher than the shops.

What's the deal?

The sellers can set any price they want, even above half. I set prices for sealed DVD's at about 30% off retail. Opened DVD's I sell for 50% off. The downside with their pricing policy, a lot of dealers moved in and are selling for almost full retail. Your best bet is to just keep checking back or "preorder" at a price you determine and a seller may decide to take that price.

Darin

------------------
DVDs are addictive
CDs are too

Want some gopher?
Old 01-15-01, 04:27 PM

I guess it should be more in the lines of "Half.com is unincredible..."

Btw, have you folks checked out some people are trying to sell on Amazon's marketplace? For example, a couple people are trying to sell a so-called "Collectible" version of Gladiator for $7.50 more than what Amazon sells it for. Funny.
Old 01-15-01, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, i'll give it a look through now.

Thanks for that.

------------------
Regards...
TEAM 7 Member
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
Old 01-18-01, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DON'T put anything on a "pre-order" list! When you do, a seller can "sell" it to you as they're listing their item. As long as the sale price is at or under when you request, the seller is free to confirm the order for you and sell. The problem is the condition of the item. You can set the lowest acceptable condition in your pre-order, but the seller can lie and send you something that doesn't match your condition requirements.

Since half.com is a sellers' market, don't let go of the control as a buyer by using the "pre-order feature" -- use "wish list" instead. You may miss an item, but at least the chances of getting ripped off are less.

------------------
"When you polish the floor, you have to move the tree!"
Old 01-18-01, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
quote:
Originally posted by SMB-IL:
DON'T put anything on a "pre-order" list! When you do, a seller can "sell" it to you as they're listing their item. As long as the sale price is at or under when you request, the seller is free to confirm the order for you and sell. The problem is the condition of the item. You can set the lowest acceptable condition in your pre-order, but the seller can lie and send you something that doesn't match your condition requirements.

But can't this happen anyway if the seller just flat out lies about the condition of an item in its listing? Seems like the same thing to me, a misrepresentation of the condition in each case....

What bothers me about Half.com is you're unable to ask the seller questions about an item. Last night there was a listing for Spinal Tap CC with the caveat "side two may not play on all DVD player." What the devil is THAT supposed to mean? I wanted to write to the seller, just to educate myself (was it due to scratches, or some sort of manufaturing defect, or what?), but I couldn't find a way to contact him.

Old 01-18-01, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:
Originally posted by Jobronie:

What bothers me about Half.com is you're unable to ask the seller questions about an item.

Exactly! Some sellers take the time to list a detailed description of the DVD while others are very vague. You don't know if they are trying to screw you or just didn't spend enough time typing. You can't send them an e-mail to get a confirmation if what they are listing is in fact what you are looking for. If I get the wrong item I want to at least know it wasn't my stupidity.

Old 01-18-01, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tend to stay away from people who are vague when it comes to buying stuff online.

------------------
Regards...
#Other TEAM 7 Member
Old 01-19-01, 12:59 AM

I found this the other day.
http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/006357.html
Old 01-19-01, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by Fhrx:

What's the deal?

They suck Fhrx.....pray that you do not have any problems with individual sellers!!! Prices are terrible for used merchandise....I have received some great deals through djangos!!!

Their prices seem to have risen somewhat but with the coupons such as the recent $5 off used dvds....others such as 20% off.....the last 6 or 7 movies I have received from them over the last two weeks averaged out to around $11.00 per disc....

------------------
THE 13TH WARRIOR OF THE OTHER FORUM/CODE NAME: LYNCH/TEAM 7

Jules Winfield's Other Forum Brother......
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 01-19-01, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, thanks for the warning dude!

------------------
Regards...
#Other TEAM 7 Member