Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Buy.com pulling an Amazon.com scam?

Old 12-09-00, 05:58 PM

In short, I visited Buy.com two days before I made a purchase and saw a price of $37.99 for a dvd collection I wanted. When I went back two days later the prices was $41.49. I purchased it, assuming the price was raised for the holiday season. Seven days later, the price on the website was back to $37.99. I believe Buy.com is tracking their website visitors and offering higher prices to those customers who are showing interest in a particular item. Has anyone else out there experienced this problem with Buy.com? My questions to Buy.com on this matter were not answered.
Old 12-09-00, 10:07 PM

To begin with, why don't you tell us what you got? You never knoew what the situation might have been, but that's a start

------------------
Nutiket www.gunaxin.com
Nutiket's DVD's
Old 12-10-00, 07:20 AM

I've experienced the same problem with them.
All you have to do is email them about the different prices and they will give you a price match for the lower price. They may not match other store sites like they used to, but they seem to still match their own.
Old 12-10-00, 12:08 PM

I purchased the Charlie Brown Holiday collection on DVD. In regards to the price match, it states there is a three day limit on price matching. I will check into it though. The questions I sent to the Customer Service department went unanswered. All I got was this blanket response.

Thank you for contacting us at buy.com, the internet superstore.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
You are more than welcome to make a complaint anywhere you want.
Please write again if you have any other questions or concerns.
We look forward to serving you in the near future!
Old 12-11-00, 06:10 AM
Cool New Member

Have you ever noticed how extremely simlar Buy.com's website is to Amazon.com's? And why are their prices also identical? Same company or ???????
Old 12-11-00, 11:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DTS-Man:
Have you ever noticed how extremely simlar Buy.com's website is to Amazon.com's? And why are their prices also identical? Same company or ???????

Not same company at all.
In regards to price differences, it has nothing to do with your browser, or being different for different users. Their prices change all the time, b/c they are trying to beat out competitors. Sooo, sometimes their price will go up and down depending on the information they get about other online retailers prices. Technically all of their prices could change every day, but I don't really see that happening.

Old 12-16-00, 09:53 AM

All is well that ends well!
I just received an e-mail from Buy.com's credit processing department today expressing their sincere apology for the higher price and notice they were crediting my card with the difference.
I must say that I am now happy and will consider Buy.com in the future when I need to purchase electronic/computer related products.
Old 12-17-00, 06:16 AM

Told you so. Glad I could help.
Old 12-18-00, 09:30 AM

I have had nothing but great experiences with buy.com, and I have made at least 20 different purchases with them so far, and almost a couple of hundred items. I've even cancelled orders and re-ordered using coupons and never had a double shipment. I did have a problem getting my Monty Python collection, but that came on Saturday. Not a big deal.
I am a happy customer and recommend them. Also, if you do have a problem with them, email them a NICE letter (remember it more than likely is not the CSR's fault) and they are very accomadating....as is Amazon.

Happy holidays!