Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

HMV.com

Old 12-02-00, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

(Before I start I just want to say I did a search on this and I didn't come up with anything useful)

Has anyone had any experience with HMV.com ? Its Canadien based, but I will receive a $25 coupon for them from garageband.com soon. I just wanna make sure they are reliable. Thanks.
Old 12-02-00, 08:04 PM

Yup, I ordered a cd from them in early Nov, got it about a week later. Satisfied customer.
Old 12-02-00, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yes they are reliable. I have ordered a couple of things from them and both times the item came after a week. Keep in mind it's the online retail arm of a good reputable B&M company which usually means good place to do business with.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 12-02-00, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a nice place to shop, I remember back in the day we used to go into the HMV store, buy like 10 CDs at a time, listen to 'em for about 4 months and return 'em back to HMV.... all with a receipt of course. But now they changed it to 30 days, oh well.......
Old 12-02-00, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks everyone for the info. I won't hesitate to exceed the $25 GC when (if ) it comes. And yes I know they are good reputable B&M but a great B&M doesn't *always* translate to great online store (Bestbuy and bestbuy.com for example). Just wanted to make sure

[This message has been edited by RJainMJ (edited December 02, 2000).]
Old 12-02-00, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by RJainMJ:
Thanks everyone for the info. I won't hesitate to exceed the $25 GC when (if ) it comes. And yes I know they are good reputable B&M but a great B&M doesn't *always* translate to great online store (Bestbuy and bestbuy.com for example). Just wanted to make sure

[This message has been edited by RJainMJ (edited December 02, 2000).]

That might be true, but we're talking about a Canadian retailer that prides itself on service, not on the best prices, which if you've ever been to an HMV B&M you'd see. I've been to both the HMV Superstore in Toronto and the Megastore in Montreal and they both kick ass in terms of selection and availability. The only thing I dont' like is that it's hard to walk up with a CD and listen to it, 'cuz the spots are always filled with other people. Else HMV.com is a nice site, since you can always return the item u bought online at an HMV B&M, else u have to pay return shipping charges.

Old 12-16-00, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just wanted to update this and say I ordered the Friends Box Set which totaled with shipping $14.50 with the GC. When I got my shipping notice, it said $39.50. When I got my confirmation, it said the correct total $14.50. I'm awaiting a response from them. This is not exactly what I was hoping for.

Edit: Well, I got a nice reply back from them so I'm officially happy . It said the shipping notices aren't posting the gift certificate information currently and the charge will be $14.50. Problem solved before anyone replied, don't I feel special?

[This message has been edited by RJainMJ (edited December 16, 2000).]
Old 12-17-00, 08:44 PM

I received a garageband cpn too for hmv. I tried to order an inexpensive dvd (about $17 canadian) but they don't seem to accept webcertificates. Is it because I need to have the full order total (excluding the $25 cpn) covered in my webcert ?? Anyone with experience pls help.... ??

[This message has been edited by benny88 (edited December 17, 2000).]
Old 12-18-00, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by benny88:
I received a garageband cpn too for hmv. I tried to order an inexpensive dvd (about $17 canadian) but they don't seem to accept webcertificates. Is it because I need to have the full order total (excluding the $25 cpn) covered in my webcert ?? Anyone with experience pls help.... ??

[This message has been edited by benny88 (edited December 17, 2000).]

Nope, webcerts will only work with stores based in the United States. I found this out when I tried to use a webcert at Chapters. It doesnt' have anything to do with the order itself.

Old 12-18-00, 09:43 AM

huzefa --- thanks for your reply. I'm thinking maybe hmv is one of some canadian online stores that don't accept webcerts. On a similar note, I remember reading some posts from some who said that the webcert "plastic" card was not accepted in Canada. I was able to use my webcert at chapters on two occasions though - I ordered Breathless and Rainman (finally shipped after 15 days.)

[This message has been edited by benny88 (edited December 18, 2000).]
Old 12-18-00, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's interesting, when I tried to use my webcert it wouldn't recognize it and when I calledup their CSR (after holding for 20 min) they told me that webcerts wouldn't work for some stupid reason. I don't remember. Anyway, if it worked for you, that's great. Too bad about HMV though.