Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Question About Applying Gift Certificate to Existing Orders at Amazon.

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Question About Applying Gift Certificate to Existing Orders at Amazon.

Old 12-10-00, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could this work?

I haven't gotten my $150 Promotional Gift Certificate from MCI, yet. But I don't want to miss out on this free shipping promotion.

I've already placed an order for a bunch of pre-order DVDs. I know you cannot add promotional gift certificates to existing orders, but would it be possible to use the "battery trick"? Use the $150 gift certificate to order a pack of cheap batteries, then the remainder of the gift certificate would be non-promotional in my account. Could I then apply the leftover balance in my account to my existing DVD order, seeing as it hasn't entered the shipping process?

I know it's possible to apply non-promo gift certificates to an existing order, but what about a balance in your account that doesn't have an actual "code" for you to enter?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 12-11-00, 02:04 AM

When you go to your exsiting order, it has a box to type in the GC code to apply to it. Even if the rest of your $150 is in your account, you won't have a GC code to put in the box. If you type in the code for your promotionsl GC, it would probably still be a promotional code and would probably come up used.
Old 12-11-00, 10:09 AM

I do not think this will work. Safest route is to cancel the pre-orders and re-order with the promotional coupon.
Promotional coupon value will not show up in your check/gift certificate balance section of your My Account and therefore will not be used for existing orders. The only alternative I see is calling up customer service and see if they are willing to apply the credit for you. They are usually very helpful if you explain your position respectfully.