Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Sell your DVDs through Amazon Market Place, It's cool.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Sell your DVDs through Amazon Market Place, It's cool.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-00, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to Amazon Dvd (books, cd or video games too), click on a DVD, under the title there is a yellow tab says "sell your items here." It's like Half.com, only you get to list up to 80% of Amazon's price.

As a seller, you also can get a deeper discount by purchasing through market place.
Old 11-25-00, 12:37 AM

Wow, this is actually pretty cool. It hasn't quite taken off yet, but it is cool how it integrates it into the same shopping screen where you would buy the new dvd otherwise.

Andrew
Old 11-25-00, 01:47 AM

Yes, it is very cool

Old 11-28-00, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes .. it is cool right now ... i cannot believe how much I get for some DVDs

But the more people discover it, the less profitable it will be (noticed how many copys of "analyze this" are already out there ?? )

also .. what when the recepient claims he/she never got it ? bumps up your shipping costs ..

how do you guys ship and how much you pay for it .. is it secure / trackable ???

P

------------------
Now I actually HAVE quit my job to have enough time to watch all these !!!
Old 11-30-00, 12:18 PM
Cool New Member

If you ship items Priority Mail, which costs $3.20, you can add 35-cents for delivery confirmation, which is cheap insurance. The only thing is, Priority Mail is somewhat higher than First Class. So you and the customer have to decide whether to go cheap or safe. Since the customer usually pays shipping, he/she would be the one to decide.
Old 12-02-00, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks bobaloo !
but what you describe would be the case on direct / ebay like transactions .. (direct buyer - seller)

in the amazon case amazon is in the middle when it charges the buyer (and charging him her a certain amount) .. and in return they pass on some of it to me (for shipping) which is 1.58 .. which i now found out is first class, unsecured ... sure i could email the buyer and ask him to somehow get 2 extra dollars to me !

I wonder if amazon though that through .. and what happens when the first batch of people complain .. (lost mail)

------------------
Now I actually HAVE quit my job to have enough time to watch all these !!!
Old 12-04-00, 01:27 PM

You can get delivery confirmation with standard first class and not just Priority. The post office doesn't make this immediately apparant, but you can have the assurance of delivery confirmation on a cheaper shipping option this way. Sometimes though it is a nickel more to just upgrade to the priority shipping, so I sometimes do that as it makes the buyer feel better about delivery of their package. In my experience shipping lots and lots of stuff via USPS, packages sent first class arrive in the exact same time as those sent with priority. Priority is a sham by the post office to make some extra money because people don't know any better.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~bencjedi
Old 12-04-00, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as I know, USPS delivery confirmation is not "insurance". It will merely tell you if the item was delivered. It will not cover loss or damage. For that, you will have to actually buy insurace, for .85 per $50 of value. I sold a number of items on ebay during the last couple of years, and checked this out pretty carefully at the post office. I have never had a priority mail package lost or damaged, although I always ship in a box, no padded envelopes.

And here's another note of caution. The "delivery confirmation" system is flawed. On one recent occasion, I had 3 separate orders that I had placed with online retailers, buy.com and 800.com. They were all priority mail shipments, with delivery confirmation. I had received shipment notices and they were late, so I checked my account on the website. When I checked the tracking numbers on the usps website, they all showed that they had been delivered. I called back the retailers and started "lost shipment" proceedings, thinking that perhaps they had been delivered to the wrong mailbox in our office building. Then, a day later, a full week after they had supposedly been "delivered" according to delivery confirmation, they showed up. FWIW
Old 12-04-00, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
Just a bit of information. I listed several DVDs for sale at marketplace and 3 sold this weekend. I went to the Post Office and sent them Special Standard Mail as Amazon has instructed. I was concerned about a package being lost, so I asked if they have a confirmation for this service level. They use the same confirmation as Priority Mail. It cost $.60 instead of 35. They weight the package and all 3 with confirmation cost me $1.73 each. I also used the USPS priority box (turned inside out). I figure that the $.15 difference between what it cost to mail and what Amazon allows is a great price for piece of mind.