Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

cdnow and the cookie timer dilemna:

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

cdnow and the cookie timer dilemna:

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-00, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gee, now i know what a cookie timer is. the hard way. i have always loaded the cdnow coupons before going to bfl or ****** or whatever. now cdnow is hand picking the orders that have used this approach toward ordering. i am warning all of you to use cdnow site with caution. here is a response from ****** about previous mentioned:

We do apologize that we are unable to give you credit for your cdnow.com purchase. You may want to contact cdnow.com as they can better explain the link you accessed cdnow.com from when you made your purchase, order. We have been advised that your order did not result in a direct link from ******.com.
If a member accesses ******.com first(their account) and links to cdnow.com, they are guaranteed a rebate for their purchase. Millions of members have accessed ******.com to get to cdnow.com and have been given credit for their orders.
Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,
Vanessa
customerservice@******.com

i am not going to be ignorant about sites cracking down, buy i will never do business with cdnow because of their approach to stop deal stacking. maybe a warning to all would have been the way to handle this. but we are the enemy to them and they found a way to make my life hell . i stand to lose between 200 - 300.00. 'your rebate request was recieved' . what a joke.

[This message has been edited by felcher (edited November 20, 2000).]
Old 11-22-00, 01:01 AM

Thank you for this useful and informative post. I, also, used to load the coupon (hell, I loaded the whole damned cart) prior to connecting with the affiliate. Now that is gone, too. It is becoming less useful to shop online every day.

When Buy.com completes its move to higher prices, I suppose I'll pretty much be finished with online shopping. All I can say is that I'm thankful to have built a huge inventory before they all priced me out!

------------------
Do you see what a can of worms this portal is? I don't think I can go on living my life as I have lived it.
Old 11-22-00, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by felcher:
[B]gee, now i know what a cookie timer is. the hard way. i have always loaded the cdnow coupons before going to bfl or ****** or whatever. now cdnow is hand picking the orders that have used this approach toward ordering. i am warning all of you to use cdnow site with caution. here is a response from ****** about previous mentioned:
B]<HR>

I really don't think CDNOW is to blame here. They are really oblivous to the rebates that ebate*s gives you. They treat ebate*s as any other affiliate and they need a way to credit referrals -- they do this by using a 2-hour cookie. When you first enter CDNOW, the 2-hour cookie is started and so they remember how you entered their site. If you want ebate*s to receive credit for the referral (so they can give you your rebate), you simply have to remember to always use their site first. CDNOW is not discriminating against deal stacking.

If you want to use a coupon and ebate*s together, enter CDNOW first through ebate*s, then use the coupon link.

[This message has been edited by fantasia (edited November 22, 2000).]