Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Some Targets have stopped selling movies

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Some Targets have stopped selling movies

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-24, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,831 Posts
re: Some Targets have stopped selling movies

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
They did have more Funko Pops than ever before.
When are those fucking things finally going to die?
Old 10-09-24, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 966 Likes on 813 Posts

I don't hate Funko Pops, I even have a couple Superman ones. But they seemingly multiply like rabbits in the retail ecosystem.
Old 10-09-24, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
When are those fucking things finally going to die?
I don't hate Funko Pops, I even have a couple Superman ones. But they seemingly multiply like rabbits in the retail ecosystem.
Funko Pops are needed in quantity to be used as exoskeletons etc. by the semi-intelligent rats and cockroaches who will be the only remaining inhabitants of Earth in 100 years.
The following users liked this post:
cultshock (10-11-24)
Old 10-09-24, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Funko Pops are needed in quantity to be used as exoskeletons etc. by the semi-intelligent rats and cockroaches who will be the only remaining inhabitants of Earth in 100 years.
And I, for one, welcome our new rodent overlords.
Kurt D (10-09-24)
Old 10-09-24, 06:16 PM

Received 2,317 Likes on 1,356 Posts

It's a shame that there's absolutely nowhere else to buy movies now.
Target's fault.
In a Target earlier today I visit every couple months or so, they had zero movies. No endcaps at the checkout aisles, no freestanding displays near the mobile phone section. The small Book and music section was still there.
Well, there ya go.
Old 10-09-24, 08:35 PM

Close the thread?
DJariya (10-09-24)
Old 10-09-24, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,086 Likes on 2,908 Posts

I know some people here get mad when their threads are closed or re-titled. But, IMO there is really nothing of value coming out of this.
Old 10-09-24, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 373 Likes on 282 Posts

Was the one for Best Buy ever closed? Bottom line is if you go out looking for movies, don't bother checking Target anymore. They did announce that they were going to be selling even fewer a while ago, but I never heard anything in advance about them being dropped completely like Best Buy did. Many across different areas have now said that they're completely gone.

It's a shame that there's absolutely nowhere else to buy movies now.
Not sure if you meant to be sarcastic, but yes it is a shame where I am. If you still have any independent retailers that sell these, support them!
Kurt D (10-09-24)
Old 10-09-24, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee

Not sure if you meant to be sarcastic, but yes it is a shame where I am. If you still have any independent retailers that sell these, support them!
This is a sentiment I support 100%!
The following 2 users liked this post by Kurt D:
Alan Smithee (10-09-24), TomOpus (10-13-24)
Old 10-11-24, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was being sarcastic, as there are plenty of places near me where I can still buy movies (in addition to online). Luckily I've managed to kick the habit so I'd be good either way.
Old 10-11-24, 12:30 PM

there are plenty of places near me where I can still buy movies
If that's true, then Target isn't working hard enough.
Old 10-11-24, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 405 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Waitasec, you're telling me that less than 2 months before Black Friday, your Target, honest and true, just plain pulled all their movies?! What's there now? I just have to see this!
Yes. They basically just spaced out the nearby shelves that have books as far as I could tell. I'm not sure if they're planning to put something else in the available space or not.

I've probably only bought a handful of moves at Target over the years, but I always swing by that section when I'm at Target just to see if there's anything that grabs me. It doesn't really affect me much one way or another whether Target sells movies or not. Just reporting what I observed at the Target nearest me.
Old 10-12-24, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 373 Likes on 282 Posts

The location I went to last week was more out of the way. Today I needed some stuff and figured I'd go to what has been my "regular" store for the past 22 years just to see what had happened there. I was there a couple weeks ago and the selection was pitiful, I even saw the standard non-4K Blu-Ray of Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny priced at $40. They were obviously trying to kill off movies there.

As expected, they were all gone today, replaced with more books and records. This one hurt more than the last just because I'd been coming here for so long, I even remember when it was Gemco prior to being Target (remember seeing a CED player on display there.) I've easily bought hundreds of discs there over the years, it was the usual go-to for any new release and I impulse-bought tons of older titles that were put on sale. Now a thing of the past. I probably won't be able to avoid going back there 100% but will certainly try, if I do go back it'll be sad when I instinctively head to check the movies out before leaving and then remembering they aren't there anymore. I swear this feels like a bad dream with all the places to buy movies just going away. I want to get the new Beetlejuice when that comes out, but it'll be either Walmart or online order.
Old 10-12-24, 10:36 AM

c'est la vie, amirite?
Old 10-12-24, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 405 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
As expected, they were all gone today, replaced with more books and records. This one hurt more than the last just because I'd been coming here for so long, I even remember when it was Gemco prior to being Target (remember seeing a CED player on display there.) I've easily bought hundreds of discs there over the years, it was the usual go-to for any new release and I impulse-bought tons of older titles that were put on sale. Now a thing of the past. I probably won't be able to avoid going back there 100% but will certainly try, if I do go back it'll be sad when I instinctively head to check the movies out before leaving and then remembering they aren't there anymore. I swear this feels like a bad dream with all the places to buy movies just going away. I want to get the new Beetlejuice when that comes out, but it'll be either Walmart or online order.
I would wager to say you’re way too emotionally invested in how Target decides to use their shelf space.
Old 10-12-24, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If that's true, then Target isn't working hard enough.
Wait, we don't even have Targets in Canada anymore, they fucked up their expansion and barely lasted two years up here. But locally we do have a couple indie video stores and our local Walmart still carries tons of movies.

Originally Posted by kefrank
I would wager to say you’re way too emotionally invested in how Target decides to use their shelf space.
Agreed.
Old 10-12-24, 02:09 PM

Target has stopped selling movies.

You know what?

I'm just going to say it: I don't think this is true at all.

I don't think there is a single Target that is no longer selling movies.

I invite anyone to demonstrate otherwise.

I stand by this.
I went to Target yesterday with my kid.

I asked a staff person if they still had movies. He said yes, around the corner past the vinyl and books. I went there.

It was more books.

There were ZERO movies for sale at that Target.

I was wrong.

I regret not believing Alan.
I let a knee-jerk reaction to what came off as vague anecdotal evidence get confused with my frustration over the adjacent "who is to blame" conversation and I didn't keep an open mind.
It's my responsibility to keep a cool head and I didn't.
I'll try not to let that happen in the future.
I'm sorry for doubting you, Alan.
I hope you'll forgive me.

Alan Smithee (10-12-24)
Old 10-12-24, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Some Targets have stopped selling movies

I asked a staff person if they still had movies. He said yes, around the corner past the vinyl and books. I went there.

It was more books.

Kids these days, don't know the difference between DVDs and books, physical media is alien to them, it's all the same.
story (10-12-24)
Old 10-12-24, 10:57 PM

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

If Target is replacing movies with books, I'd say that's a net plus for society.
The following 2 users liked this post by Movie Watcher:
Kurt D (10-12-24), story (10-13-24)
Old 10-13-24, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,269 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by Movie Watcher
If Target is replacing movies with books, I'd say that's a net plus for society.
For book talk (what's that?) maybe, but not for dvdtalk!
The following 3 users liked this post by fujishig:
Alan Smithee (10-13-24), etching (10-13-24), Movie Watcher (10-13-24)
Old 10-13-24, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,238 Likes on 962 Posts

My Target does have standees for a couple movies (I think Sonic to promote the third movie and Despicable Me 4). Otherwise I’m fairly certain that movies are gone or very limited (I don’t recall seeing more). Truthfully the selection at Target has been garbage for a couple years at least.
Old 10-13-24, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
For book talk (what's that?) maybe, but not for dvdtalk!
They're actually shrinking the book section as well. It wouldn't surprise me if the books are gone in a year or two.

In response it seems like they've expanded...the adult toys section. The collectible kind like movie figures and retro properties aimed at men in their 30s-50s, not the type which show up at your house in discreet brown packaging. Those must have sweet profit margins to get so much space.
Old 10-14-24, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,370 Likes on 986 Posts

In response it seems like they've expanded...the adult toys section. The collectible kind like movie figures and retro properties aimed at men in their 30s-50s, not the type which show up at your house in discreet brown packaging. Those must have sweet profit margins to get so much space.
I don't know about Target but Walmart has a nice little toy case. They even have that Vibrating Rose that women love.
Old 10-14-24, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,269 Likes on 1,741 Posts

It probably depends on the Target as well. I've seen Targets with absolutely gigantic "collectors" sections and ones with tiny sections that are barely stocked (except for Funko Pops, there are always Funko Pops). I always just figured that it would take up the videogame space because that space is surely shrinking as well.
Old 10-14-24, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 596 Posts

I was in the Target here a month or two back - don't recall exactly why - and went to the movie area to discover zero DVDs/BRs of any kind. Very little music, mostly LPs (which I've not purchased since 1986 and will never purchase again), with the DVD/BR area taken over by kid's books. I looked at the end caps on the way out and didn't see any media - doesn't mean they no longer have any just that I didn't see any.

I mainly used to go to Target for media - always on sale. While there I might look at other items. Occasionally I'd go in for some grocery item (if it was on sale - but they never have much stock so it was always a crap shoot) or some video game item. And I *always* looked at the media while there, often picking up a title or two. Since they started the superb online media sales I've only been in the store a couple of times in the past 4 years, mainly to pick up an online order (which I now do as "drive up").

As long as they still offer BR/DVD/CDs online I couldn't care less if they're not in the store. With no more in-store sales of media they're missing out on my "stumble upon" purchases that are no longer made.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.