Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon after opening local warehouse/Distribution center

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 04-14-21, 04:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I live in Albuquerque and am under the impression Amazon is building/opening a warehouse/distribution center. It seems almost all the stuff I've been buying from them has originated at one of the Phoenix centers, I believe there are multiple, or possibly Tucson.

Has anyone noticed anything change after they have opened a local warehouse in their town? In other words, did that generate the "same-day delivery" that wasn't available (do they still do that?) or the local warehouse only carried certain lines of merchandise, certain TVs or food items, etc. I can't recall how large of a building is being built but when I drove past it looked larger than anything I've seen in town. SO, I'm wondering if that means after they get up and running, I may be offered same-day delivery or perhaps the next day with Prime. One last rambling question, does Amazon offer any sort of "will-call" or even curbside pickup? I suspect these are really warehouses and nothing resembling any sort of retail store type section.
Old 04-14-21, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 792 Likes on 519 Posts
Re: Amazon after opening local warehouse/Distribution center

I first noticed the place last year when the jobsite was being leveled. It's imposingly large: 2.5 million sq ft of floor space altogether.

When I order multiple items from Amazon, they often arrive in different boxes from different cities. I would be surprised if they had everything in one building.
Old 04-14-21, 05:30 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I have noticed that occasionally items are now available for "same day delivery".
The following users liked this post:
rduncan (04-15-21)
Old 04-14-21, 11:15 PM

Received 360 Likes on 262 Posts

I live about 20 minutes from a gigantic Amazon warehouse. Most of the deliveries in this area come in Amazon vans. I see them all day long driving up and down the street. Lots of orders come within 24 hours. And sometimes they come as late as 9pm.

We also have access to Amazon Fresh (same-day grocery delivery).
The following users liked this post:
rduncan (04-15-21)
Old 04-15-21, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I live about 20 minutes from a gigantic Amazon warehouse. Most of the deliveries in this area come in Amazon vans. I see them all day long driving up and down the street. Lots of orders come within 24 hours. And sometimes they come as late as 9pm.

We also have access to Amazon Fresh (same-day grocery delivery).
Amazon can't even deliver a CD without a shattered jewel case to me, how are they with eggs?
Old 04-15-21, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,049 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Amazon can't even deliver a CD without a shattered jewel case to me, how are they with eggs?
The Amazon Fresh stuff is delivered a lot differently than the normal Amazon stuff (and you can also tip them for the service)
Old 04-15-21, 09:58 PM

Received 360 Likes on 262 Posts

Amazon Fresh delivery is like Instacart or UberEats. It comes directly from the warehouse. You can follow it on a GPS tracking map. The delivery person drives a normal car and doesn't wear a uniform. The items are all in brown paper grocery bags.

The pantry, frozen and bakery items are all fine. But the fresh food is a crapshoot. I'm not impressed by the fresh meat. And the produce is often too green or starting to brown. So I usually don't order those things.

I haven't tried ordering from Whole Foods yet. They might have better meat & vegetables.
Old 04-16-21, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 635 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Amazon Fresh delivery is like Instacart or UberEats. It comes directly from the warehouse. You can follow it on a GPS tracking map. The delivery person drives a normal car and doesn't wear a uniform. The items are all in brown paper grocery bags.

The pantry, frozen and bakery items are all fine. But the fresh food is a crapshoot. I'm not impressed by the fresh meat. And the produce is often too green or starting to brown. So I usually don't order those things.

I haven't tried ordering from Whole Foods yet. They might have better meat & vegetables.
Amazon Fresh isn't available for my address but Whole Foods is. Haven't tried them because I use another local store delivery service. But I've thought of it.
Old 04-16-21, 09:52 AM

I wonder if there will be some sort of fanfare when the local center opens? Not by Amazon but politicians telling us "look how many great jobs being created" type of stuff. I always wondered what all those posting about delivery by Amazon trucks/vans were all about. Heck my Amazon deliveries were mostly by patriotic red, white and blue USPS trucks with the occasional Brown variety!
Old 04-20-21, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 256 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
One last rambling question, does Amazon offer any sort of "will-call" or even curbside pickup? I suspect these are really warehouses and nothing resembling any sort of retail store type section.
Yes, in a way, and Iím not sure what areas have the option. But you can select local pickup and choose a location nearby. Itís usually just small retail stores theyíve contracted with, but thereís also storage lockers in some places and Iíve picked up stuff at a couple Amazon warehouses.
Old 04-21-21, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Yes, in a way, and Iím not sure what areas have the option. But you can select local pickup and choose a location nearby. Itís usually just small retail stores theyíve contracted with, but thereís also storage lockers in some places and Iíve picked up stuff at a couple Amazon warehouses.
Ah yes. That's even a good option for folks worrying about "porch Pirates" and the like pretty much anywhere. I've used delivery to both lockers at a local JC Penny and had computer parts delivered to a UPS store. The UPS store informed me they charged $5 for storage until I threw a fit and they finally relented and just let me take the two boxes.
Old 06-01-21, 02:37 PM

Well, I saw a real Amazon delivery truck earlier today. I was outside and heard a truck pull up. When I looked up I saw it stopped at my neighbor and actually had two folks in it. Not sure if one was in training but they pulled a box from the back and dropped it off. I'm not sure if they left it at the door because I'd headed into my garage at that point. Not sure but suspect it's related to the warehouses/distribution center being built in town.