Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Latest BUY.COM suck

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Latest BUY.COM suck

Old 10-13-00, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sent this e-mail to buy.com customer support this evening. Just thought I'd drop it here too so that people can be on the look-out for this stuff from them.

I received this order today (The Shining) and it appears to be a used copy of the disc. The cover has a pen mark running down the right side, where someone obviously ran a pen to break the shrink-wrap (very noticeable on the white cover) and the disc itself is filled with fingerprints and what looks to be something that was splattered on it or near it. The shrink-wrap itself also did not have a seal at the top which suggests that this copy has been opened before.

I went back to a few other recent orders and noticed that "Limbo" and "Pups" from a previous order were in the same condition. I'm not happy with this practice. If I wanted used discs, I would order from half.com for certainly less than what I was charged here. I have placed many, many orders with buy.com for both home and work and have never had a problem before. What's happening there??

------------------
THIS FILM HAS BEEN MODIFIED FROM ITS ORIGINAL VERSION. IT HAS BEEN FORMATTED TO FIT YOUR TV.
Oh?? So it's ANAMORPHIC WIDESCREEN, right??
Old 10-13-00, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cannot help you here.....I am a regular customer and have never received dvds in the condition which you are describing!!! Hopefully, it will never happen to me!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 10-13-00, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just did a return with them on it. It seems as though if the disc is a new release, it's fine. It seems a problem when ordering an older title like the three I mentioned in my first post. I also received "The Time Machine" today in the same box and it was fine.

Except, of course, that there were actually two discs in one box!

------------------
THIS FILM HAS BEEN MODIFIED FROM ITS ORIGINAL VERSION. IT HAS BEEN FORMATTED TO FIT YOUR TV.
Oh?? So it's ANAMORPHIC WIDESCREEN, right??
Old 10-14-00, 03:52 PM

As mentioned before in cases like this, buy.com never takes possesion of products, the drop ship from major distributors, such as Ingram Ent. So if there was a problem it was someone on the Ingram side tampering. No big deal, just return it.
Old 10-14-00, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've ordered over 50 dvds from buy.com, and have never seen the "used disc" problem. However, there have been a couple of rattlers that were loose in the case, which had damaged hubs, and the discs were scuffed. I called in, and they emailed me a ups return shipping label, and will do an exchange.

One thing I have found out is that if you're trying to exchange a movie that had some defects in an early release (like Leon the Professional surround sound problems), and the newer version has a different sku number by them, you're better off returning the first for a credit, and then reordering the right one. When I returned the original Leon disc, they just sent me a new one with the same upc code and the same problem, even though the CSR had told me that the new one would be shipped.

It's a bummer that they're really clamping down on those 20% off coupons for existing customers, which made for some pretty sweet deals.

C ya.
Old 10-15-00, 10:14 AM
Cool New Member

Buy.com is by FAR the worst online Etailer I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with!! Customer service is non existant you'll get a cue card response and thats all!! Try canceling an order and watch what happens!! it will show up anyway no matter how early you cancel!!! Saving a buck is just not worth it in my opinion. Shop elsewhere where they value your business and your not treated like just another mark!!! In either case just watch what you go through if you try and return the DVD and get a credit you'll see what I mean.
Old 10-15-00, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jlemoine:
Buy.com is by FAR the worst online Etailer I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with!! Customer service is non existant you'll get a cue card response and thats all!! Try canceling an order and watch what happens!! it will show up anyway no matter how early you cancel!!! Saving a buck is just not worth it in my opinion. Shop elsewhere where they value your business and your not treated like just another mark!!! In either case just watch what you go through if you try and return the DVD and get a credit you'll see what I mean. <HR>

I have cancelled items without problems in the past and have had very minor problems with them.....I guess it is hit or miss with them!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife