Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

EBWORLD EMAILS DELAY NOTICE FOR PS2

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

EBWORLD EMAILS DELAY NOTICE FOR PS2

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-00, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here it is.....they are telling me I will receive my game and memory card prior to receiving my system!!!

My order was transferred from Gamedealer to their site in early June!!!

Dear EBWorld.com Customer,
>
> Thank you for placing your PlayStation 2 order with EBWorld.com. You may
> have already heard about the component shortages that have been
> experienced during production of the PlayStation 2. As a result of these
> shortages, fewer PlayStations than were originally anticipated will be
> available at launch time. This will have a direct impact on your order
> and we will not be able to ship your order to you with our initial
> shipment. At this time, we do expect that we will be able to fill your
> order by December 1st. Sony has said that they expect to release
> additional consoles each week between October 26th and the end of the
> year. We believe that will enable us to meet this December 1st
> commitment.
>
> Some games and accessories will be in short supply. Therefore, we have
> made the decision to ship all games and accessories out as soon as we
> receive them. This will be done without any additional shipping charges
> being incurred by you. If your order contained games and/or accessories
> as well as a console, you may receive your first shipment very close to
> the launch date and your console sometime between October 26th and
> December 1st.
>
> EBWorld.com takes our commitment to our customers very seriously and this
> news is as disappointing to us as it is to you. We can assure you that we
> will work tirelessly to get every PS2 out the door as soon as it is made
> available to us.
>
> If you have any questions, or if you need to make changes to your order,
> you can call us at (877) 432-9675 or you can reply to this email. As
> always, you can count on our site to be updated with the latest
> information to keep you up to date on what is happening.

Oh well, I am sure I will receive this in November....I will be busy playing Medal of Honor 2 anyway!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 10-06-00, 11:13 PM

Yep. I pre-ordered a PS2 from ebworld.com on June 16th and now they tell me I won't get one at launch.

Pretty pathetic of both Sony and EB, if you ask me.

EBworld.com won't be getting a good review at bizrate.com from me.

Old 10-06-00, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by T-Wolves:
Yep. I pre-ordered a PS2 from ebworld.com on June 16th and now they tell me I won't get one at launch.

Pretty pathetic of both Sony and EB, if you ask me.

EBworld.com won't be getting a good review at bizrate.com from me.

<HR>

I don't think you should be blaming EB. You should be blaming Sony. EB can only sell as many units as Sony will give them. If Sony guarantees them a certain number and then for what ever reason several weeks/months later says sorry we wont have as many units ready as anticipated then it is Sony's fault. They had promised 1 million units at launch all along and now they have changed that to half as many, their is not a whole lot the retailers can do but to ship them on a first come first served basis. And EB is not the only retailer in this position. All the retailers are facing the same situation. I have had mine reserved and fully pre paid for at my local EB since April and they are telling me that if I want any chance of getting one on launch day I'd better be their bright and early on that day or I might be out of luck. While this may suck I know it's Sony's fault and not EB's.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited October 06, 2000).]
Old 10-06-00, 11:49 PM

Something tells me sony is going to have one hell of a tough time getting these playstation 2's out the door. I don't really care myself, as $300 for a game system is absolutely insane. For whatever reason though, people pay it. Rather stupid if you ask me. *shrug*

Anyway, there is an article on dailyradar.com which tells that Sony has cut the supplied pre-order Playstation 2's in 1/2 for release day.
http://www.dailyradar.com/news/game_news_5053.html

is the article, have a read. Basically you won't see it until thanksgiving if you're lucky, from what it sounds like Good luck.
Old 10-07-00, 03:47 AM
Banned

The funny thing is that everyone buys into Sony's hype machine. There's nothing like artifical shortages (of iPAQs, PS2s, etc.) to prime your market. Almost as fun as persuading people that they needed to spend 30 days in line waiting for SW Episode 1 tickets.
Old 10-07-00, 05:38 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by thetaz:
$300 for a game system is absolutely insane. For whatever reason though, people pay it. Rather stupid if you ask me. *shrug*
<HR>

Gosh, thanks for your unsolicited opinion.

Personally, I've got plenty of disposable income; $300 is a small price to pay for an arcade-quality game machine for my home. I guess not all of us are that lucky. *shrug*

Old 10-07-00, 06:09 PM

quote:<HR>The funny thing is that everyone buys into Sony's hype machine. There's nothing like artifical shortages (of iPAQs, PS2s, etc.) to prime your market<HR>

I agree that Sony is attempting to create the usual Nintendo-like fake "shortage" for Christmas to make the PS2 this year's "must-have" item. Otherwise they're bungling idiots for setting a release date that they can't meet.

Either way, it sucks and they suck, IMO.

I hope Sega sells tons of Dreamcasts to disappointed PS2 shoppers this X-mas.

Old 10-07-00, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not to brag, but I'm still getting mine.

I ordered it May, just to get it over with. Looks like that paid off.
Old 10-07-00, 10:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by thetaz:
[B] I don't really care myself, as $300 for a game system is absolutely insane. For whatever reason though, people pay it. Rather stupid if you ask me. *shrug*

Absolutely insane, huh? Wow, I guess thetaz must have been absolutely insane when he/she decided to get whatever job he/she has that doesn't free up $300 for an arcade-quality game machine. Poor guy/girl.
Old 10-08-00, 03:32 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by WildcatLH:
Not to brag, but I'm still getting mine.

I ordered it May, just to get it over with. Looks like that paid off.
<HR>

Good luck. It looks like even those who pre ordered/reserved that early are not guaranteed the system on launch date. With most stores getting no more then 25 or so while having typically 100 pre orders/reservations each it is going to be difficult unless you are prepared to camp out overnight.

------------------

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 10-08-00, 09:40 AM

Well,
I have a question for all of you.

Why are you buying a $300 system the first day it comes out? None of you have probably even touched a game for it and you don't have any clue how good it really is.

Have any of you seen all the articles about how the thing is such a pain to code for? Developers aren't taking the time to add in full screen antialiasing because it takes much too long. Thus you are getting crappy graphics with jaggies out the wazoo. This results in crappier graphics than an N64 could do. Heck, even the Dreamcast can beat the pants off Sony's Playstation 2 if developers are just gonna shovel crap out the door like they have done for the Playstation in the past.

Also, all of you are buying into a hyped machine. Why? Again, none of you have no clue how good the thing really is. Sony has been hyping this thing for a very long time, and the fire seems to have died down in Japan, that's for sure. I personally have no use for watching DVD's off a game console system. My Toshiba which I paid $400 for does a much better job than the playstation 2 will do.

Also, I did have a preorder in for this long long ago, but I canceled very recently. This thing is a system that none of the developers know how to use right, and I don't want crappy games with crappy graphics, just like the rest of you.

Remember the Sega Saturn? That sure went down the pipes fast. Same thing goes for the PS2, the thing is hard as hell to program for and Sony sure isn't helping developers like they should be. Dreamcast on the other hand is a 'dream' to code for. Developers can do their entire game on DirectX and take about a week and have it running optimized & properly on the Dreamcast.

But, I'm sure my opinion will have no say to some of you who want to run out and buy the thing.

Jerry577 & T-Wolves: I do have a job and I have more than enough money in my pockets to pay $300 off, but $425 (game + controller + memory card) spent for this piece of junk is better spent on something else. I'd rather do another upgrade on my muscle car restoration than spend that kind of money for a paperweight.
Old 10-08-00, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

thetaz

I am purchasing the PS2 for the same reason I purchased the:

N64
Playstation
Dreamcast

And all of the systems prior to these...for the ability to enjoy every game released whether it is on the PS2 or the Dreamcast or all of the other systems available now and in the future.

I agree with your point that the PS2 is harder to program for than the Dreamcast but the companies who are worth anything when it comes to putting out a good title are dealing with this and still developing quality titles which will make it worthwhile to own a PS2.
Now if Dreamcast can start putting out games such as Medal of Honor, Silent Hill, and Metal Gear Solid then maybe I would reconsider my stance on owning several systems but I do not think you will be seeing titles of this nature on the Dreamcast.

I have to strongly disagree with you on this statement which you made because it is simply not true...you stated:

Thus you are getting crappy graphics with jaggies out the wazoo. This results in crappier graphics than an N64 could do. Heck, even the Dreamcast can beat the pants off Sony's Playstation 2 if developers are just gonna shovel crap out the door like they have done for the Playstation in the past.

Have you seen or heard the reviews for Madden 2001? Reviews I have seen say this title even without online gaming which I could care less for beats out Sega's NFL2K1...I can refer you to one such review currently which is in PSM magazine's Nov. issue which is another review added to others which I have read that clearly state Madden is the better football game both graphically and in the gameplay dept.!!!

Here is a list of my current Dreamcast titles:

RE Code Veronica
Shenmue 11/10/00

There are not alot of Dreamcast titles which interest me at the present time but I am sticking with my Dreamcast due to some of the future titles such as Shenmue and specifically due to RE Code Name which will never leave my library of games.

Once again....there is room in my house for every system available even if I only wind up with a few titles on an individual system... it would have made it worth the initial purchase!!! According to reviews on the dvd side of things, this unit will perform as well as any mid level player which would include your Toshiba!!! Talk to you soon!!

------------------

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 10-08-00, 01:34 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Seriously, let's stop this stupid console bias nonsense.

Some people buy it on the first day simply because they can. If I had the money I'd buy it too (I'd also buy a Porshe, but that's another story).

I'm sure many of us on here are working adults and can spend all the money we want on ourselves. The stupid console garbage where you have kids trying to justify their parent's $300 purchase is just downright annoying.
Old 10-08-00, 05:01 PM

quote:<HR>Why are you buying a $300 system the first day it comes out? None of you have probably even touched a game for it and you don't have any clue how good it really is.<HR>

I didn't buy a Japanese PS2, so obviously, I've never touched a game for the PS2. But if you follow the gaming-related websites (like dailyradar.com) and the gaming-related magazines, you can easily get an idea of whether a new system is going to suck or not. There are plenty of gameplay movies & screenshots out there for PS2 games. While I love my Dreamcast, I've still got plenty of room for a PS2 (and an X-box).

quote:<HR> Thus you are getting crappy graphics with jaggies out the wazoo. <HR>

Hogwash.

quote:<HR> Sony has been hyping this thing for a very long time, and the fire seems to have died down in Japan, that's for sure. <HR>

Who cares what the Japanese think? They ignored the Dreamcast as well, and that's, IMO, a fabulous machine.

quote:<HR>Also, I did have a preorder in for this long long ago, but I canceled very recently. <HR>

Oh, so then you were "stupid," too, then???

quote:<HR>This thing is a system that none of the developers know how to use right, <HR>

Again, hogwash.

quote:<HR>But, I'm sure my opinion will have no say to some of you who want to run out and buy the thing. <HR>

Correct.

quote:<HR> but $425 (game + controller + memory card) spent for this piece of junk is better spent on something else. <HR>

You have a strange argument. You whine about people buying a system they know little about, yet *you* are calling it junk without ever having owned one.

Have fun playing with your "muscle car."
Old 10-09-00, 04:43 AM

thetaz,
First let me say that you have either been mis informed or you don't know what you are talking about. For your information I have played games on the PS2 both at E3 in May and also at my friends house who happens to have a Japanese unit.

Yes there was initially a problem with the graphics WRT anti aliasing but this has been fixed and is not present in the US games. And as much as the Dreamcast is a good system it cannot match the PS2 which has the potential for much better games. As far as the N64 is concerned the PS2 games already released in Japan are much better graphically then any game on the N64.

As far as the system being hyped, every new system is hyped. That does not mean it is not worth buying.

The PS2 is not hard to develop for, more like some of the developers are too lazy when it comes to developing for it.

And has been said before if you want the opportunity to play all the good games that are coming out then you need to own several or all of the systems as many games will be exclusive.

Finally, please check your facts next time before you go rambling on stating things which are either not true or making ridiculous assumptions.

------------------

Old 10-09-00, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IGN.com just recently posted a link to an independant company's diagnosis of the PS2. Why some people trust everything they hear from a local Babbage's employee is beyond me (Thetaz). Read the research and be "enlightened".
http://ps2.ign.com/news/25943.html
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/1q00/...ion2/ee-1.html

WildCatH: Where did you order from? I ordered May 3 from Gamestop.com. I'll be finding out today if I'm getting one at launch. I should be with an order that early.

------------------
To Infinity and Beyond!
Old 10-11-00, 02:52 PM
Cool New Member

If you want PS2 on launch date just cancel your pre-order and show up first thing on the 26th when one of these stores(which are not offering pre-orders)open:
Best Buy
Circuit City
Comp USA
Target
Old 10-11-00, 03:49 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by BuddyAckerman:
If you want PS2 on launch date just cancel your pre-order and show up first thing on the 26th when one of these stores(which are not offering pre-orders)open:<HR>

Yeah, all you other ebworld.com pre-order customers should do that & cancel now!

Back in June I was thinking that it might be smart to pre-order a few extra PS2s and sell them on ebay for profit (I'm sure tons of people have done this). But I remember thinking that Sony had their act together and there wouldn't be any Nintendo-like "shortages." Boy was I wrong!

Old 10-11-00, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure, I will cancel my preorder.....system, game and memory card shipped next day air for $354.00!! I can wait for EBWORLD to get my PS2 out to me which will be prior to DEC. 1st.....

If I purchase these items in the store...

My price will be $384.97 plus tax which comes to $407.00!!! I will be busy enough with Medal of Honor 2(PS), Shenmue(Dreamcast), and Escape From Monkey Island(PC)!!!

I also will avoid the craziness which is about to occur at these stores who did not take preorders!!! It will be absolute madness!!!

------------------

Barney Fife
Old 10-12-00, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If stores were stupid enough to take preorders from customers when they had no idea how many units they were getting then they deserve to be faulted. As stated earlier most stores had upwards of 100 per store on order and now that sony cut their numbers available at launch the stores are having to cut the preorders by 75%. they oversold the ps2 assuming that they would be able to use these preorders to get more product at launch from sony and it backfired. stores that waited to see how many they were really going to get were smart since they will not have disappointed and angry customers calling to find out were their xmas gifts are.
Sony blew it by assuming that sales in japan would slow down so that they would have the capacity to give to the US market they were wrong.
I wonder how all those preorders at outpost.com are doing. I remember all of the promises that they were getting all of these units at launch.When they had no units on allocation yet since sony had not even allocated units. i hope they got some units since if i remember they had thousands of preorders.
I may try to see if target or best buy will have any. A tip Kmart or Sears or Wards also may have the ps2 at launch so you might be more likely to get one since most people might not try them first.

------------------
Other Bargains Coupon Pet Thread

[This message has been edited by gcribbs (edited October 11, 2000).]