Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

PayPal will not remain free

Old 09-22-00, 01:46 PM

Logged in today and got this. What a load of crap. Why do people START free services, then realize they aren't going to make money. I'll use Billpoint just to spite them:

----------
A Message to Our Sellers
X.com's Premier and Business Accounts have the web's best payment tools - they give online sellers the competitive edge. When you upgrade to either a Premier or Business Account, you'll enjoy all of the following benefits:

* Receive Unlimited Credit Card Payments Buyers can pay you with a credit card without affecting their spending limit.
* Instant Purchase Accept payments directly on your website or auction listing (and still earn $5 referral bonuses for new users).
* Automatic Invoicing We'll save you time by pre-filling your auction invoices.
* Download Transaction History To Quicken, QuickBooks, and Excel.
* 24/7 Customer Service Around the clock live support.

You can take advantage of all these premium features for the low cost of 1.9% + 25 on payments received; there is no setup fee or monthly maintenance charge.
And, within the next month, Premier and Business users will also enjoy:

* International Payments Receive payments from 25 countries at no extra cost.
* Debit Cards Get cash from your PayPal account at any ATM, or use your debit card to buy from online or offline merchants.
* High Yields Earn income on funds in your PayPal account.
* Electronic Checks Accept payment from a sender's bank account at prices significantly below prevailing credit card rates.

All consumers are welcome to use our premium features by upgrading to a Premier or Business Account, but our terms of use require companies and individuals using PayPal for business use to upgrade. Our terms of use have stated since June that PayPal is free to consumers, but business users are required to operate using a Premier or Business Account.
What type of activity do we classify as "business use"? Using PayPal to collect payments for goods or services sold on a corporate website, personal homepage, or other forum counts as business use. Auction sellers both individuals who make it a full time job and those who sell on a recurring, part-time basis are also engaging in business use. If you have a Personal Account and you use it for business purposes, we ask that you comply with our terms of use and upgrade.
X.com is committed to keeping its PayPal service free for personal use. To remain a strong and viable business, however, we need sellers to accept their fair share of the costs of accepting credit cards. Visa and Mastercard charge us for every transaction we process, and we need to pass this fee on to sellers to break even.
Other companies charge twice as much a $50 payment with X.com costs $1.20; with Billpoint the cost is $2.34; and Bidpay charges $5.00. Don't be fooled by promotional offers from unproven services no one else can offer instant, safe, and fraud-protected payments on a sustainable basis to online sellers at a cheaper price. And no one else has 3.5 million users who trust PayPal to pay you online.
We ask sellers who currently have a Personal Account to play by the rules and upgrade to either a Premier or Business Account. We count on your honesty when we give you the choice of an account type.

Please reaffirm your account type now:

Help on Account Choices
Upgrade to Business: for companies that sell online.
* Upgrade to Premier: for individuals who sell online on a part-time or full-time basis, or who simply want all of our best features.
* I am not a Seller: for individuals who use PayPal for non-business purposes only and wish to remain a Personal Account.

X.com expects users to comply with its terms of use, and is currently reviewing options for enforcing its business use policy.
Old 09-22-00, 03:41 PM

This popped up for me last week also but I clicked by it. It's just a reminder that you should abide by their rules - if you're a business, come forward and pay your fair share. It is, as they say, still cheaper than the popular alternatives, none of which (to the best of my knowledge) do anything for free.

But for me, even though I am an active seller and occasional buyer on Ebay, I remain a personal account. And I haven't seen the message since.

Nothing to worry about - yet.
Old 09-22-00, 03:41 PM

you obviously didn't read into that much..
basically, they're offering you the option to upgrade to their premium/business services, which cost some $$. Obviously, you won't want to, so you'll just leave it as a 'personal' account.
Old 09-22-00, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, all it is saying is that businesses have to pay!!! Personal users such as ebay accounts etc....there still is no charge unless you upgrade to the other account!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/dvd_list.a...46%40aol%2Ecom

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 09-22-00, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Read what you post. The personal use paypal accounts are still free. They've always had the business accounts that weren't free.
Old 09-22-00, 05:29 PM

I use it for my business and recommend it to clients as well. If you are going to use it for business, they have some cool features not available to standard users and it doesn't cost THAT much... my .02
Old 09-22-00, 05:30 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for almost giving me a heart attack!!! &*(!&!%&!^$%!^!

------------------
niceFire - Bread, Skiing, Shooting, Fresh for you
Old 09-22-00, 07:33 PM

Am I the only one who can read?
quote:
What type of activity do we classify as "business use"? Using PayPal to collect payments for goods or services sold on a corporate website, personal homepage, or other forum counts as business use. Auction sellers both individuals who make it a full time job and those who sell on a recurring, part-time basis are also engaging in business use. If you have a Personal Account and you use it for business purposes, we ask that you comply with our terms of use and upgrade.

So, are you saying that none of you sell occasional items on ebay and accept payment with PayPal ??
Old 09-23-00, 05:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by HepDude:
Am I the only one who can read?
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, are you saying that none of you sell occasional items on ebay and accept payment with PayPal ??

I don't agree with their definition of a business. I have a garage sale 2 or 3 times a year and am not considered a business by my city. Under the terms you've referenced the only people who would qualify for personal accounts are buyers. And they wouldn't pay fees anyway. So it is a lot of double-talk. They should just come out and be clear about their fees, like Billpoint.

If I have to, I'll go back to accepting money orders only. Because after deducting listing fees and final value fees, I am not willing to pay what little is left of my money to somebody else for the work that I do.

I usually leave my money sitting in there for weeks and if they know what they're doing, they can make interest on it.

One thing for sure... if they do start charging fees, somebody else will probably step up with a free service to take away all their business. I know they'll get mine!
Old 09-23-00, 05:42 AM

Also wanted to add that their criteria for business accounts doesn't make sense. I just came from their website and went to use the "Request Money" feature. It says "Bill individuals or groups by email - even if they don't have a PayPal account!".

My account is personal. Why would they give me access to this feature if it was supposed to be used for business accounts only?