Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The One and Only 8/29 Release Thread: What has arrived (and hasn't) from where?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The One and Only 8/29 Release Thread: What has arrived (and hasn't) from where?

Old 08-23-00, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have T2, Boogie Nights, North by Northwest and Braveheart all on order from buy.com. None have shown to be shipped yet, but others out there have said that they have had some preorders arrive.

Post here with any feedback from any e-tailer -- with all of the titles coming out next week, we should really see who comes through for us.

Update: According to the buy.com website, NxNW (Ordered 8/24 w/ 10 off 30 with The Birds), Braveheart (Free Shipping coup) and Boogie Nights (Free Shipping coup) were sent out on 8/24. BUT T2 still shows "on order".

Update -- (Part Deux): Received T2-TUE and Braveheart on 8/29; Boogie Nights and NxNW / The Birds on 8/27.

Also, my T2 was the Two DVD Version

Megakudos to buy.com for coming though on the biggest street date ever in DVD history!
/hyperbole

* Edited to add North by Northwest

** Edited to show shipping.

*** Edited to show that all arrived in pristine condition prior to street date.

[This message has been edited by weargle (edited August 29, 2000).]
Old 08-23-00, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none yet, and still dont have Repo Man Tin of POTA: The Evolution from buy.com either

------------------
"I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!!" -- Better Off Dead

In the beginning...there was ATARI!
My ever Increasing DVD list
My massive ADULT DVDS!!!
12 INCHES of LOOOOOOOVE!!!
Old 08-23-00, 07:44 PM

AGGGGGGGG!!!!!! I am about to pull my hair out over here. I have not been having much luck with online retailers lately. First off I ordered Leon with DVDJam a couple of weeks ago and still haven't received. Looks like they are closing down or something. Now all of my aug. 29th pre-orders are messed up at buy. I pre-ordered evil dead 2 LE tin, braveheart, T2:UE and North by Northwest and they are all saying on order. Not only that but buy screwed up my evil dead and T2 order. I ordered a cd with these to get over 50 to use the 10 off 50 coupon. They authorized my card for the 40 something dollars. Then the cd shipped out early because it was in stock. They charged my card for the cd and then tried to re-authorize my card. The first authorization was still on my card and pending so of course the second authorization didn't go through. I have called a couple of times and talked to the billing department to get this straight but they have no clue . At least I finally got Cowboy Bebop vol. 3 in today from buy after only waiting almost two months . Sheeshh these places are going to make me start shopping at B&M's the rate they are going lately. Sorry for the length but I just had to vent. Is anybody else's 29th pre-orders at buy showing on order? Thanks.

Clint
Old 08-23-00, 09:41 PM

Nada. STill waiting.

------------------
Charles Mingus is alive
and
Alice Coltrane is your mother.
Old 08-24-00, 11:16 PM
Cool New Member

I think 8/29 is going to be the clincher for most of us in our dealings with buy.com

I have placed my last order for DVDs with buy.com, they have totally screwed me and a good many of you on the 8/15 pre-orders. My fear is that 8/29 will be no different.

So far I haven't recieved any titles that I odered for 8/29 and I have recieved no e-mail regarding their status. I am so glad that I decided to buy my copy of T2:LE from express.com, I know they would not sell me a pre-order unless they could provide it.

Resolving to pay the few extra bucks to get my DVDs on time will curb my spending, but I'll be a lot less stressed about it in the end.

To everyone here that has taken advantage of buy.com's deals, best of luck. And to those wise enough to pre-order from more reputable companies, I am ALREADY envious.
Old 08-24-00, 11:23 PM
Cool New Member

Hey...this just occured to me.

Now I know that this isn't a buy.com only thread, but I have a sneaking suspicion that is will become one.

I really want to get to the bottom of this whole "first batch" nonsense with buy.com. And therefore I would be most interested to learn when people placed their pre-orders. In my experience with some of the 8/15 titles, I placed orders at least 1 month if not 2 in advance with buy.com and i still haven't received many of the DVDs. When i speak with CSRs they claim that they got a limited number of the title in question and that my order wasn't placed in time to get in the "first batch" (i.e. ON TIME) of deliveries.

Do you guys think it would be helpful, at least for our own piece of mind to try and figure out if this is correct?
Old 08-25-00, 12:22 AM

Preorder Fargo and Boogie Nights - Platinum. I receive Fargo last week and just receive the double disc set "Boogie Nights" this morning from Buy.com. This is the earliest that I have gotten a preorder from Buy.com, five days before Tuesday official release of 08/29.
Old 08-25-00, 12:59 AM

I RECEIVED Magnolia today from Buy.com. This is 5 full days before street. Cool.

Of course, it took them 6 weeks to ship my Woody Allen box order transfer from Reel

------------------
would you say I have a plethora?
Old 08-25-00, 01:09 AM
Cool New Member

Congrats dvdonly and QuanTum! That's awesome! Oooooo, those are two of the most anticipated titles for me.

Could you guys let us know when you placed your pre-orders with buy.com for those titles?

My order for Boogie Nights was placed on June 16. Magnolia didn't make it in until July 14, it was a Reel.com pre-order so it was much delayed in making it to buy.com.

How does this compare to you guys orders? Also, has the shipment registered in your buy.com order history? or does it still say ON ORDER?
Old 08-25-00, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got "Braveheart" and "Boogie Nights" today from BUY.COM.....
Old 08-25-00, 04:46 AM

FearMe,

My order for Fargo and Boogie Nights PE dated 07/04/00. That was the w/e Buy.com offered Free Shipping.
Old 08-25-00, 11:16 AM

The 8/29 discs I have ordered from buy.com are:
Magnolia
Boogie Nights
Braveheart
North by Northwest

At the main status page, each order is listed as 'Sent to warehouse.' On the individual pages, however, only NxNW is 'Sent to warehouse.' The other three are all 'on order.' Is that a bad sign? (I'm thinking yes.)
Old 08-25-00, 12:20 PM

I received North by Northwest yesterday (Thursday, Aug 24) from Buy.com. I pre-ordered this title about 5 weeks ago.
Old 08-25-00, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got my shipping notice on classic monster collection from DVDEmpire!

Got my shipping notice (2 days late which means it should ARRIVE later today) from Buy.com on Arsenic and Old Lace. Funny, they still owe me Platoon!
Old 08-25-00, 01:17 PM

Classic Monster Set - DVDEmpire - Delivered 8/29
Magnolia - Buy.com - Delivered 8/28
Boogie Nights - CDNow - Delivered 8/29
Terminator 2 - Amazon - Delivered 8/30
Fargo/Sound of Music - Buy.com - Sound of Music delivered 8/30; Fargo delivered 8/31
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein - DVDEmpire - Ordered 8/29; On Order

[This message has been edited by Funk (edited August 31, 2000).]
Old 08-25-00, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by FearMe:
And therefore I would be most interested to learn when people placed their pre-orders.<HR>

OK, here we go:
NXNW and The Birds, ordered 8/24, shipped 8/24 (!!!) Arrived 8/26
Braveheart, ordered 7/18, shipped 8/24
Boogie Nights, ordered 4/30, shipped 8/24 Arrived 8/26
T2:TUE, ordered 8/11, shipped 8/25

[This message has been edited by weargle (edited August 28, 2000).]
Old 08-25-00, 02:52 PM
Cool New Member

OK. WOW weargle, you placed an order for NxNW and got it that quickly?! Based on this one example we can surmise that the "first batch" theory is a crock 'o' poo.

My order placed on June 16 included:
NxNW, Boogie Nights SE, Arsenic and Old Lace, Evil Dead 2 SE, Stand By Me SE.

None of which have shipped yet, all show ON ORDER.

Magnolia, order placed on July 14, now shows shipment on 8/24.

T2:LUE shows that it shipped on 8/23 from DVDexpress.com

[This message has been edited by FearMe (edited August 25, 2000).]
Old 08-25-00, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sound of Music has shipped as of yesterday from Buy.com!!!!
Old 08-25-00, 03:46 PM

Well, now the site shows that magnolia, Boogie Nights, and Braveheart all shipped yesterday. I can understand why NxNW hasn't shipped yet, I just placed that order a day or two ago.

Yay Buy.com! They (so far) came through in the end.
Old 08-25-00, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Like I thought. Arsenic & Old Lace arrived today from buy.com!!!!
Old 08-25-00, 05:59 PM
Cool New Member

Here's my Buy.com take. Ordered Robocop (Criterion) and South Park Bigger, Longer, Uncut (just takes me a while to get around to ordering some titles) last Tuesday 08/22/00. Checked status Wednesday: Both were "Processing". Checked Thursday AM: Both "Sent to Warehouse". Checked Thursday PM: "Robo" was designated "Shipped" while while "South Park" was still "Sent to Warehouse". Checked Friday AM: My "South Park" title had overnight reverted bak to "Processing" status again (????) For every step forward, take two steps back? >:0
I fired off an e-mail to see if I could get clarification on WTF is happening, if it's Buy's problem or my C-Card's. Waiting for response. With all the other horror stories I've read in this thread, it's making me think twice, and this is my first purchase at Buy.
Old 08-25-00, 06:03 PM
Banned

I got Boogie Nights from buy.com today.

------------------
My ever growing, yet not too large at the moment list of DVD's
Old 08-25-00, 09:02 PM

Let's see...
-Evil Dead 2: SE (SoftwareBuys.com) - ordered 3/31, shipped 8/17, received 8/21, a whopping 8 days before street date
-Boogie Nights: PE (buy.com) - ordered 4/28, shipped 8/24
-magnolia: PE (Reel/buy.com) - ordered 4/29, transfered 7/14, shipped 8/24
-Braveheart (Reel/buy.com) - ordered 6/8, transfered 7/18, shipped 8/24
-Stand By Me: SE (buy.com) - ordered 8/16, shipped 8/24
Old 08-26-00, 03:52 AM

North by Northwest arrived Friday from Buy/Reel. I expect an avalanche on Saturday, my usual Buy.com pre-order arrival date.

------------------
Do you see what a can of worms this portal is? I don't think I can go on living my life as I have lived it.
Old 08-26-00, 06:21 AM

Man this sucks. I still haven't gotten any of my buy.com order. This maybe the last time I use them. They are all still showing on order. Hopefully I will get some of them later today but I kinda doubt it. The older I get the more I feel like Charlie Brown.

Clint

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.